Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2017, 04:18 PM   #1
rantosiek

M.O.C. #19955
Hello nice to be a part in this group

hello my name is Ryan, my wife and i just recently purchased 2013 372 RL, and are planning selling our home in Michigan and becoming full timers down in the Florida keys. I am brand new too camping and have never owned a camper before. I was wondering does any one have suggestions on getting my camper ready for the hot weather down there? or how to prepare myself for hurricane season.

rantosiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:03 PM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Welcome. We have spent 6-7 months in Florida for the past 12 years. In the keys, when a hurricane is coming, best bet is hook up and leave quickly. Problem is there is really only one road out and it gets jammed up. Re hot weather, not bad in the winter. In the summer, better have two ACs, we installed window awnings to block the sun, have a couple of fans we use, keep the window shades down and have found you get used to the heat after a bit. Heat does affect rv frig operation, a residential frig is a better option.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:06 PM   #3
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
The previous owner of my rig had all the windows tinted. It helps keep things cooler inside. Welcome to the forum.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:08 PM   #4
rantosiek

M.O.C. #19955
okay well what if i don't have a truck to hook up and take off. i am getting the FW delivered down to the keys and wasn't planning on moving it for a couple years.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:48 PM   #5
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantosiek View Post
okay well what if i don't have a truck to hook up and take off. i am getting the FW delivered down to the keys and wasn't planning on moving it for a couple years.
Well,,, you MAY be OK in a CAT 1, I've done several in my S&B and my 5er was fine sitting on landing gear. Cat 2 or possible CAT 2 -- make sure your insurance covers the 5er and find a safe place to stay. Anything higher, get far away
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:04 PM   #6
rantosiek

M.O.C. #19955
i have many friends in the area that have nice houses that seal up for a hurricane. that would let me stay for the storm. i was more looking for ideas like steak down the camper. or wrap a strap around the FW to hold the retractable awning down.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:09 PM   #7
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Good luck with your choice to full time. I know many others pick Florida too. As for me, I don't know why anyone would have an RV in FL during hurricane season. I lived in FL in the late 50's, early 60's. Went through hurricane Donna in late summer 1960. That was one of the most destructive hurricanes to hit FL. At sea it was a category 5 with winds topping out at 160mph. At US landfall it was a category 4 with winds up to 155mph. Where I lived, Sanford, we got winds 96 - 130mph. I do remember it being very peaceful when the eye passed right over us. No wind, you could see the stars, then the other shoe dropped. Hope you have good insurance.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:32 PM   #8
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantosiek View Post
i have many friends in the area that have nice houses that seal up for a hurricane. that would let me stay for the storm. i was more looking for ideas like steak down the camper. or wrap a strap around the FW to hold the retractable awning down.
That work may make you feel better but in a decent storm will be of little to no value. When your precautions break free they could do more damage if that is even possible. I have ridden 2 LOW grade cat 2 storms in a s and b. Did not have a camper in the area either time. If I had both me and it would have been 200 miles inland before it made landfall. My wife just stayed through Matthew and although not a big Cat 1 has now decided if/when the next one comes we will take the Monty and leave real early. We had no damage but electric was out about 30 hours. Until you ride one you will not understand all that can happen.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:43 AM   #9
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Congratulations and welcome to this great forum.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:00 AM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum. As a couple who summer in Kansas we have to deal with tornados and high winds. I fill the tanks when bad weather is coming to get more weight on the bottom. We leave the slides out (I know I'll hear about this, but we've been hit by 90mph straight winds and been fine) my belief is that the slides out breaks up the wind a little and acts like outriggers to balance the tendency to tip. Last have a safe place to go and for me that wouldn't be in the Keys, we have an inground storm shelter.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:51 PM   #11
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Welcome to the MOC.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote