Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2005, 04:24 AM   #21
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Glad you were able to get your trip sorted out. We did the Yellowstone experience last year in June when we still had our 30'TT. We started out at Henry's Lake (for one night), but the wind was blowing so fierce (that's Idaho), that we moved about 5 miles south to a small campground along the river. Hubby says we would not be able to get in there with the 5th wheel as the entrance is too steep going down. Point is though, we drove up to the park every day - wasn't a bad "commute" at all. We were there in early June before the really big crowds hit, and I think the time of year you are going the crowds will start winding down. We're hoping to make the rally in Reno, so hope to meet you there. Enjoy your trip and have a safe journey.

Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:46 AM   #22
jackw87
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3007
Steve
we went to yellowstone last Aug without reservations and we called and got a site in the fishing bridge Rv park with out any problem The sites are close togather but we had all of the room that we needed because we were out sight seeing eery day we had a 3255rl when we were there but if I was going to do it anytime soon I would try to get reservations and fishing Bridge RV park is not run by the park service it is a consation run deal like most of the places in the park but it is the only one that has full hookups
jackw87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 10:27 AM   #23
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Just so you know, I believe Steve and Vicky are traveling right now and do not have access to the internet. Check back in a few days for thier return.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 02:21 PM   #24
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Steve and Vicki -

Great vacation plan. We were at Yellowstone last summer and plan on hitting it again in June, possibly. We stayed in West Yellowstone at the Pony Express campground. We arrived the week of the 4th of July with no reservations and Grizzly was full. We found that we spent more time driving than we wanted to see the things we were interested in seeing. I wanted to see bears and wolves, and although you could see them anywhere in the park, the North East corner of the park is the most likely place to see them. That was a real hike from West Yellowstone. There was also a road to one of the falls that was closed last summer that has bears. We saw two wolves and 20 bears (5 grizzlies) in one day. So if you want to see wolves and bears, you will want to plan on that area in the morning or evening. Spotting scopes and radios are very helpful. Have a great time. Your camping spot sounds like a good bargain.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 07:09 AM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, jackw87 and rames14. I think we're set up now for Red Rock RV Park near Island Park, ID, for 8/15-9/15. I really want to see the bears. We're still looking for them here in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park but will likely have better luck up north.

Lazeel, looks like we'll be about 65 miles from your place in Rigby. Is that where you live or is that a vacation home? If you folks will be there in our time frame maybe we can get together for a bit. We'd like that if it works for you. Likewise for anyone else in the area.

Just remind me when the time comes. My memory goes about two days. And we've been involved in numerous discussions lately about getting together with members and it's all starting to run together. I can be emailed with the little envelope above any of my posts or from my profile. Sometimes when we're on the road we have enough access for email but not enough allowed time to do MOC.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 03:01 PM   #26
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Steve,

While you're in Gatlinburg be sure to drive the Roaring Forks Motor Loop. Its a beautiful drive and we have seen bears on that loop.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 05:19 PM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We did the Roaring Forks Motor Loop and it was beautiful, as you said. No bears, though. We'll probably do the loop again. Do you remember the time of day you saw the bears and where in the loop, by any chance?

We wanted to do the loop up Balsam Mountain Road, too, but that road is closed until 5/13, a week after we leave here. Yesterday we went down to Cataloochee Drive and saw the elk. Sure want to see the bears, though. We probably need to do Roaring Forks loop early in the morning or late evening? We're really close to that loop here in Gatlinburg.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:22 AM   #28
keepontruckin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2484
Send a message via MSN to keepontruckin
Steve,

I have also stayed at the Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone. It is a very clean park the location is within walking distance of all amenties in West Yellowstone. The management staff is very friendly and accomodating. We'll probably end up there after labor day for about one month. Have to get the fall fly fising in. Good Luck!
keepontruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 10:39 AM   #29
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Brian and Cindy. We're already booked into the Red Rock RV Park at Island Park, ID. It's just down the road from West Yellowstone, maybe 10 or 12 miles. We'll be there from 8/15, leaving 9/15. So we may overlap a few days. If you arrive before we leave, let us know and maybe we can get together.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:37 AM   #30
keepontruckin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2484
Send a message via MSN to keepontruckin
Steve and Vicki,

Sounds good. I know the area where you will be staying. We hope to get out of here around labor day and will head directly to West Yellowstone. If we leave as planned, we will definitely look you up!

Cindy is still drueling from the Michael Bolton concert we went to in Vegas. I said...what is the big deal?..I'd rather meet the MOC legend.... Have a great day!
keepontruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 11:25 AM   #31
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Yeah, well, you'd be disappointed, Brian, but Cindy would be walking on air! Have fun in Yellowstone. Any negatives about the area we'll be in? The park is about 5 miles off the main highway and is at the south end of Lake Henry (I think that's the name). Thanks.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:17 PM   #32
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Steve -
We will be heading out again June/July to Yellowstone/Teton. We spent three great nights by a hot spring south of Jackson. No fee along a stream. Five mile bike ride up to a National Park hot spring pool built by the CCC. I think the area you want to see is Pebble Creek in NE Yellowstone Park for bears and wolves. There are local groups that are quite sophisticated at tracking the bears and wolves. If you stop, they'll let you look through their spotting scopes and tell you about the wolves, especially. If you need more specifics, e-mail me. You and Vicki remember to be sightseers and not lunch for the wildlife.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 02:22 PM   #33
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Ron. I'll email you for the specifics. If push comes to shove, I'd bet this old body could fly if it had to! Today we hiked a small portion (3.4 miles) of the Appalachian Trail here in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The part we did ranged from 5000 ft to over 5500. But no wildlife of any kind. I do have a great deal of admiration for all the thru-hikers on that trail. We counted 11 in the 1.7 miles before we turned around and headed back. And there were several relaxing at the rest station where we started (Newfound Gap). That trail is most definitely not an easy hike!
Old 05-10-2005, 04:01 AM   #34
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
We were there July 20003 and stayed in a park in Cody and took day trips to Yellowstone and Tetons. It made for a long trip to Jackson so we are going back in July and have reservations in Colter Bay.
Bit pricey $44.52/ day but we wanted to be close to the area because we will be spending more time seeing the things we missed.
While you are in the area be sure to drive the Chief Joseph Parkway if you have the time.
The parkway runs from Redlodge MT. to east entrance. Locals told us about it and we drove it on July 4th.
Don't take the Monty that way, pretty steep climb in some places but a beautiful drive.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 06:51 AM   #35
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, awaywego. I saved your post along with the others. We enjoy scenic drives very much.