Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Winteriaztion

I need a little advice. In a few weeks here in Washington the weather can start getting cold. We have the Monty in Storage here at the park. I have it hooked to 30 amps, I will be able to keep in warm. My question is should I use the RV anti-freeze. Won't the heat in the trailer keep the pipes warm enough not to need the anti-freeze? I have already drain all three tanks, and will be draining the hot water tank soon. I value your opinions Thanks randye

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
How cold can it get there? Before I got the Monty we had a TT. Always kept it plugged in and had space heaters inside. Drained it, but didn't blow it out. We had an ice storm and a power failure that lasted for a day and a half (some folks near me had no power for a week). Guess who learned to replace toilet parts? I could have turned on the furnace, but with the problems I was dealing with with my business and stick house it never occurred to me. If it gets very cold, space heaters won't do it for the Monty. The water lines in the basement run along the furnace ducts so you would need to run the furnace also if it gets really cold.

Dick
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:13 AM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
We never winterize. We keep the heat set at 40. Last year we had many days in teens all day, no problems. We are prepared to use generator in case of power failure. I spent about $200 in LP but was ready to go all winter. The older I get the more I like colder weather, plus lots of nice things to do in winter. Larry PS We do have power, water and sewer at our RV all year.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I feel if you go through the trouble to blow out the lines then take the extra 15 to 30 minutes and pump in RV anti-freeze. I feel the anti-freeze keeps air born organism from growing in the water lines. Just my feeling. More important it is added protection in case the power fails and you are not around to react to it. Of course blowing out the line gives you a good advantage to start. Blowing out the lines and pumping in anti-freeze is what I do in PA, however I do not try and heat it.
Good Luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Pumping in Pink Stuff takes me 10 Min and a Gallon and a half for my 2955. No way would I keep heat on!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'm with (kdeiss)... 10 minutes and a couple of gallons of RV antifreeze and I'm good till Spring. Unless you plan on frequently using your fiver during the winter, why spend hundreds of dollars on propane on an inanimate object?
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:29 AM   #7
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
you also need to worry about low spots in the water lines. A real cold snap could freeze up a small area,also all the traps need to be drained or filled with antifreeze.Do you have a washer?that would need some protection too. It's not worth the 6 or 7 bucks in antifreeze for piece of mind.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:41 AM   #8
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
If it's a temporary cold snap, I use this formula:

If temperature stays at 32 or below for more than two days, you must winterize. During the Fall or early spring here in WI we use this. Normally if the temps rise above 32 during the day, your good to go without winterizing. Never had a problem using this formula...................Of course now we leave for warmer weather when it gets cold............

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:16 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It can get real cold here in Northern Ohio. When we winterized our campers we went overboad,Blow out the lines, add lots of the pink stuff, Pour some in all the traps make sure the water tank is bypassed. We added small amounts of pink stuff in all the holding tanks and lowered the front of the camper so that any water would fall to the low spot with the pink stuff. Took the batteries inside the house.Got the rubber off the pavement, covered the tires. Never a issue.

We now winter the 5th wheel in Florida and go along with it to keep a eye on it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:16 AM   #10
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Ditto Rich and Helen's post
Old 08-22-2011, 05:38 AM   #11
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I use winterized windshield washersolution in the DRAINS. It is much cheaper and has always worked for me. I blow out the water lines.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote