Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Austin thru Oklahoma ending in Kansas

We will work in Kansas for a few months.

Traveling from Austin Texas through Oklahoma. Wondering if there are some must see things in Oklahoma besides the Bombing Memorial.

Trying to plan where to stay and how much time we should allow for seeing things getting to Kansas.

Thanks!

Colleen

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
The Cowboy Museum

http://www.nationalcowboymuseum.org/

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Where are you going in Kansas?

Dick
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Colleen, if I recall, you're heading to SE Kansas, right? If I may suggest a pretty route, it's to go through the eastern edge of Oklahoma. If I recall, US 259 north from Broken Bow and then US 59. It's basically Ozark country. But it won't fit with your OKC plans. It's the southeastern part of the state I really thought was pretty.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I would just like to agree with Steve about the US 59/US 259 route through eastern Oklahoma. It is one of my favorite highway routes. Of course, we live on US 259 south of Oklahoma in East Texas. There are two especially nice public RV parks: Beaver's Bend near Broken Bow, OK; and Queen Wilhelmina, near Mena, AR.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:09 AM   #6
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Dick,
We are going to Coffeyville Kansas to work for Amazon.

Carol,
Thanks for the link... your the best. It looks like we could see the museum free on Sept 14 as it is sponsored by Ford. How long did it take you to go through the museum?

Steve,
Yes, I want to see the Oklahoma Memorial and see a few other things on our stop in OKC. I will have Bob look at the map and mention that to him. Maybe that would be a way to come home if the roads are clear when we return. We are looking at returning December 24 so not sure what we will do.

Padre,

Thanks for the RV Park referrals. Do the parks hold our monster 3400RL's? Any suggestions for OKC?

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Colleen, Sorry I can't help about OK City. We've never stayed in that area. As for Queen Wilhelmina I feel sure the sites are adequate for a 3400, but just note that the road in from Oklahoma has some really steep grades. We have reservations for Beaver's Bend in September, but this will be our first time to stay there in an RV. While I think there would be no problem, it wouldn't hurt to call ahead before planning to stay there. My present RV is 34' long and that was no issue as I made reservations.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi Colleen, we always stay at Pioneer RV Park in Guthrie OK, a little; 10 miles maybe North of the city. A real nice inexpensive park.
The Flint Hills are beautiful, we always enjoy them coming North on the Turnpike. Don't think that is on your way, but don't know. The turnpike swings through Topeka. I always thought it would be fun to find a 'Dude Ranch' in the Flint hills and horseback ride to a Chuck wagon dinner. But hey, I'm talking to a Texas gal, you probably have been there, done that already.
I guess the hot weather has broken it's grip on the Kansas-Missouri area, wish it would for you and Bob, also some rain maybe??
Good luck to you guys.

Edit: I see, Coffeyville is way south in Kansas.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We own the Dairy Queen in Council Grove, KS. If you're up this way we'd buy you a Blizzard, but it's not a short trip. We have relations in Pittsburg and will be going to Crawford Co State Park next week for a few days. It's a little North and East of where you are going, near Fort Scott. Pretty country down in that part of the State, hope you have a great time!

Dick
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:50 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dick, I've been in your DQ several times but not in probably 9 years or so. Wamego is my "home town" and when we lived in Topeka we used to go to Council Grove Lake for camping/boating/fishing several times per year. Plus when the Strong City Rodeo was going on.

Colleen, the exhibits in Coffeyville for the Dalton Gang Bank Robbery is very interesting. Rather an inept robbery as they tried to rob two banks at once and botched it.

If you're into fishing, Big Hill Lake is (or at least used to be) an excellent bass lake. And the nearby town of Cherryvale is the home town of Vivian Vance.

Padre, I've had my eye on the CG at Beaver's Bend several times but the timing just never quite worked out for us to stop there. There's another state park on that route, I think, that I also was thinking of staying at but never did.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:54 AM   #11
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Right, Steve, I'll let you know about our experience at Beaver's Bend. Lots of our friends (and family) have stayed there in the past, but not in an RV, and they have reported it as a fine park.

One thing I can say for now, the ladies who handled our reservation were really friendly and helpful.