Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2009, 04:17 AM   #1
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Loading Updates to Garmin 260W

I would like to know how the process of downloading updated maps to the Garmin 260W works.

I have the unit attached to the computer and got to the screen to pay for the update but I don't want to mess it up so here I am.

Are the instructions easy to understand? I went through the tutorial download but still not sure.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:54 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Not having experience with your particular model of Garmin. I have uploaded and downloaded maps on my Garmin GPS. The procedure for mine is well documented and follow it to the letter.

The biggest thing to remember is to plan ahead, make sure you have what you need to update/upload, then check for it again, then after it starts, DO NOT interfere or interrupt the process AT ALL. Do not unplug anything, do not run anything else that could interrupt, do not power anything on or off.

To help understand how the update works and you'd like the technical explanation, please ask. This might help you understand why the instructions are so stoic.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Thanks, Art.

So after I purchase, they should give me step by step instructions as to how to get the maps from their site to my GPS?
Old 07-03-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Before you purchase, if they can't show you how or show you where you can find out, or want to help you then don't buy it from them. Updating is an important part of GPS since information changes so often. Find a place that is willing to work with you and understand the features of what you are buying for a GPS. More times than not the supplier has trained them how and it's their job to pass on the information.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Not to run out on helping you John, I would call Garmin (800-800-1020{Central}).I am certain they would walk you thru it.

Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:33 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
This past week I broke down and downloaded the new map, lifetime option. What it did for me is to say I need this addon that will do all the work for me. I let it do that and then it went slick as can be. It was a simple task. If I recall, I first made sure I had authorized that site to do popups, in my browser, as it will popup a couple of windows that you need to see. Or, it did so on mine, anyhow.

Also, that addon, according to one of the popups, will manage the download so that if your download is interrupted, you can restart it and it will pick up where it left off. That's helpful, especially on a slower connection. I also signed up to get an email when a map update is available. If you buy the lifetime map option it will have a checkbox on the download webpage. When the download is done, check the box and hit the submit (or enter or whatever it said) button. Also, they'll email you, at the time of the downolad, a copy of the receipt and any other info you need.

However, be sure you have a fast connection. The download for my 2720 is 1.92 gb (yes, gigabytes. 1,920 megabytes). We are on a fast cable wifi connection in this rv park but the download took something like 45 minutes. Once it is on your computer it will then decompress, which took quite awhile, too. Then it will upload it to your gps through your usb connection. That also took quite awhile. But the first 45 minute download is the only one over the internet.

It was really a well done procedure that made it simple for a dummy like me to do it successfully.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:06 AM   #7
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Dummy II got his done too Steve and it is user friendly. Patience on the install procedures will get you done. I too went for the Lifetime updates. Ah, lifetime, it's sooooo postive...at least for my garmin!!! Dennis
Old 07-05-2009, 11:31 AM   #8
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I just did the download and the lifetime option for my Nuvi 765T. Had one difficult place when the down load finished... it gave me two options 1. to launch and 2. to exit. Instructions say to select the launch but that selection did nothing. I then selected exit and then the process continued and it extracted the map date to load the actual Garmin. The process also updates your MapSource software on your computer with the same version of the Maps you downloaded.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:19 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Steves, I see you replaced your SP 2720 with the Nuvi 765T. I researched and decided on either the 755T or 765T as being the closest to having the same capabilities as my 2720. Great minds think alike! However, my squeaky wallet got the best of me and I decided to stay with the 2720 for awhile longer.

Mine didn't update Mapsource, possibly because I had a couple of months ago updated (free) to the latest version and it now tells me there is no newer version. I suppose it's smart enough to check before downloading.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #10
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
I've been considering the lifetime updates also since I found out about them on the forum. As Steve put it, mine is the 2720 and getting long in the tooth also. I went on Costco's web site to see what newer Garmins they carried and to my surprise found the lifetime updates. They're a little cheaper. Curiosity got the best of me then and I checked Sam's Club but not available on there web site (at least I couldn't find it).

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...lang=en-US&s=1
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:21 PM   #11
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Now that is the bargain of the day Dennis. I snoozed, I loozed!! Did the download at $119. Oh well, I'm now challenged to figure how to get $20 bucks back from some other way!! See ya at Mackinaw!! Dennis
Old 07-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #12
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
Dennis

That's Sharon's baby. I won't touch that thing with a ten foot pole unless it was to throw it out the window. Too many dead end roads for me to trust it. LOL Electronic things and me don't get along. I'm still trying to figure out how to rewind 8-track tapes.

Dennis
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote