Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2007, 06:16 AM   #41
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Yea,
This was definitely not one of my finest moments...LOL The collision place told me I would get the truck back Thursday or today. I spoke with them this morning, and that ain't gonna happen...:-( They had to take the hitch out of the bed, and remove the bed from the truck altogether. They got the painting and bump work done, and have to make the new automatic privacy window fit again. Yikes, what a freakin' nightmare. I do still need to count my blessings though. It could have done a very significant amount of damage to the monty, and my doggie could have been hurt since she was lying in the back when the window shattered. It hit so lightly, it was almost like slow motion.

Anyway, we're thinkin' about heading down to the keys once we leave here since the cold weather has followed us down to St. Pete. Even when I lived here, I never made it down there, so now may be the time. And maybe then I can forget about this extremely costly mistake I've made. Thanks to those of you who have shared your stories too. Misery does love company, and it's nice to know that I'm not alone...:-)

Jan

Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:52 AM   #42
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Jan, Sorry to hear about the truck. Experience can be a cruel teacher, but you're among friends that can relate. Keep swinging wide on those right turns like you used to. Scared me in Chincoteague, VA when I almost pinned the Monty against a light pole on the right corner! BTW, suggest you call ahead before heading for the Keys. A friend is going that way soon and has had some diggiculty finding room this time of year. Get out the map, directory, and cell phone. Hope the fumes clear quickly?!! Best wishes,
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:17 PM   #43
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Hey Chris,
Thanks for the heads up on the keys. I plan on calling ahead so I'm not stuck hangin' out in Allegator Alley...LOL Hopefully, we can pick a spot, and bask in the tropical delights:-)

Jan
Old 02-03-2007, 04:05 AM   #44
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Hey all,
Whew, finally found the heat! I'm sitting in a beautiful spot on the Big Cypress National Preserve. It's so lovely and peaceful here, I've greatly expanded my two week vacation...:-) This is my first time in the Everglades, so lots of new things to do and experience. Went on an air boat ride, and drove the "loop" road for some amazing pics of up close gators and wildlife. There is electric hook up only at this park, so I'm learning all about using the fresh water system. One of the campers here said this park has been renovated in the last 1-2 years. They sure did a great job on it. Each site has a grass yard, a palm tree, and built in BBQ. There is a pond in the middle, with gators for good measure...so Molly doesn't get to walk very far after dark...LOL There is a 10 day limit for camping here, and there are only a few openings each morning. It fills back up within a few hours.

I'll have to start the slow drive back home to Michigan on Monday...:-( I'm tempted to just stay down here until spring, but I know thats not very realistic. Maybe next year...:-)

I did have one close call on the way down here from St. Pete. I had filled the fresh water tank 1/3 full in preparation for dry docking. We were in the Naples area, on a boulevard. There was a fair amount of traffic, so thank God I wasn't driving very fast. As I was passing by a mall, a total jerk in a caddy decided to pull out in front of me. That wasn't enough, the approaching traffic light turned to yellow when he was almost under it, and he SLAMMED on his brakes to stop for it. If it were not for my trucking experience, he and his family, and possibly me and mine...would no longer be here. I hit the brakes, but of course with the added weight of the water on board, my stopping distance was greater. I felt the brakes seize up, so I backed off, and went into the right turn lane. Thankfully, no one was there, or coming up along side of me. I'll remember that for a very long time. And that man is probably still walking around with his head up there not even realizing how lucky he and his family are to be alive. Oye, four wheelers can sometimes truly get on my last nerve. Anyway....I'm really likin' the Monty, and just have a few things that need to be addressed when I get back home. So, I'll see how good the dealership is after the sale. Now I'm rambling, so time to close...Peace out.

Jan
Old 02-03-2007, 04:21 AM   #45
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Jan - If you could wait for a short second before coming back to Michigan, you would be happier. Last night zero and they say that it is REALLY going to get cold for the next week. It was great hearing about your trip - the good, the bad and the ugly. Safe travels to you.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:24 AM   #46
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Welcome to the drivers in SW Florida. We have found out the drivers down here are the most inconsiderate people in the world. They are always in a hurry to get no where fast. We actually winter in Naples, and if it weren't for the grandbabies, we wouldn't be here. We are thinking of looking farther north just to get away from these people.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:32 PM   #47
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Hey all,
Well, pulled out of the Everglades this morning, and now I'm at Fort DeSoto Park in St. Pete. This is pretty close to the condo I used to live in next to the Skyway Bridge back in the 90's, so it's almost like being home. They only have an opening for two nights, so I'm not sure where we'll head to after that. I've cleared it with people to stay out for another few weeks to avoid the Michigan weather. Some friends called the other night and said even if we have to walk the streets to make money, DON'T come back home yet!!! I told them if we try that, we'll never get enough money to get back home...LOL

One friend today on the phone told me they closed down the schools due to the cold. Wind chills of 25 below. I am SO glad I'm down here, and I'm in NO hurry to go back there. Thank goodness for good friends taking care of things at home for me, I am truly blessed...:-)

This is supposed to be a pull thru site. I pulled into it, and it's massive!! Problem is, there is a sharp curve on the other end that I'm not looking forward to trying to clear. But, thats not for a few days, so I need to forget about that for now, and enjoy the FL sunshine and beaches. More later y'all...peace out.

Jan
Old 02-07-2007, 05:11 AM   #48
Wandering Star
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #50
Hello Connorsmon

Glad to hear that you can stay the extra time in sunny Florida.
Following your post on your southern adventure and it brings back memory's about Fort Desota, one of the nicest spots we every found, camp there in a van many years ago and yearn to pull the trailer down there and on to the keys. Does it still have the charm and beauty and did you ever make it to the Keys.

Wandering Star
Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:32 AM   #49
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Hey Jon & Jo Ann,
Nope, couldn't do the keys this time, there weren't any openings unless I wanted to pay WAY over $100.00 per night. Now, I love my Monty, but if I'm paying that, I want room service...LOL But, I'm enjoying Fort DeSoto a lot. Drove around the old neighborhood where I used to live today, then went to the St. Pete Pier for some margaritas and tourist stuff. It sure does bring back memories of when I lived here...really tears at the emotions. But, it is one beautiful day here today...74 and the bluest of skies. The water is a color of blue that I have never seen described in a way that can capture it's beauty...and I'm trying to find all the little gecko lizards I used to love when I lived down here. They seem to be in hiding right now. Maybe they're all in LA doing those Geico commercials...LOL

I'm secluded in this pull thru site that is so secluded from my neighbors, I can have the flood lights on at night, and no one can even see them...LOL It's quite amazing that this place has been here since the 1800's, and yet I never bothered to come here when I was living right down the road in the 90's. It's very reasonable at $28.00 per night. There is 30 amp hookup, and water. No sewer, but they have a dump station, so thats close enough. I have to get up early tomorrow morning to get into the office when they first open. Maybe I can get another site here for 2-3 more days before heading back to the arctic colds of Michigan. What a blessing...Peace out.

Jan
Old 02-09-2007, 05:41 AM   #50
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Well, I don't know ow crazy I am about this place at this point (Fort De Soto). Got in line at the office yesterday morning around 6:30 a.m. (They opened at 8:00 a.m.) Both myself and my friend had to move off our sites to another site, and could only stay for one night. Was told that since the next day was Friday, if we got in line and was eligible for another site, then reservations could be made for a max of 3 nights. We moved off those sites, had an unbelievably hard time getting our rigs into the other sites, only to watch not a single person pull into the sites they made us pull off of until today. Yikes...And from the looks of many of the palm trees around the area the trailers are on the sites...many people have had a harder time than I. At least (knock on wood)I don't have any palm tree pieces to take back home with me...LOL

This morning we went to get in line at the office at 5:15 in the morning (they open at 7:00 a.m. on friday). There were already 18 people in line ahead of us. I was not a happy camper. I told Ann this was just not worth it to me. When I'm spending more time in line to get a site then I am enjoying the grounds...it ain't worth it to me. So anyway, we'll stay here for three nights, then start that drive back home. All good things must come to an end, and it's time to head back to the great white north. My father is coming to visit tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to showing him the monty:-)

I'm going to pick up some antifreeze, and wait until the last minute to winterize the monty on the way back. At least the winter won't be so long before spring gets here and I can head up to the campground that I'm a seasonal at. At least there, I KNOW theres a site for me, and I can stay there as long as I want. I can't wait til I can sleep in...LOL
Old 02-13-2007, 10:50 AM   #51
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Well, I'm retracing my steps back home...:-( Stayed at the Eagles Roost CG in GA last night, and at the KOA in Chattanooga tonight. Had to deal with some pretty intense rain today driving, but it's stopped for now, and I was able to set up without my raincoat. We'll head for the Lexington Horse Farm tomorrow, then see what the weather holds for us. If need be, I'll just stay there until I know there's a clear shot back home to Canton (MI). I stopped at the Shipps Camping World and got some antifreeze, I'm holding off on doing that as long as I can too!! I'm not looking forward to the cold, but it will help me to appreciate the wonderful get away trip I was able to take. I have tons of gator pics to look at that will remind me I was in nice weather not so long ago...LOL As a side note...I was looking to purchase one of those Black & Decker space saver coffee makers for the Monty. They have one at CW that is normally almost $67.00, but is down to under $12.00 for members. Thats a major savings so I'm glad I stopped in there!! I think the sale is good until March 5th if anyone is in need of a new brand name coffee maker. Peace out...

Jan
Old 02-13-2007, 02:56 PM   #52
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Jan stay where you are for at least a couple of day’s I-65 in Indiana is a total mess. Indianapolis is getting 16 - 18 inches of snow right now wind is gusting at 30 to 40 mph consistently. It is so bad that the county next to Lafayette closed all roads to non emergency traffic. My son (Purdue student) says that they had all college classes called today and may cancel tomorrow also. 10 to 12 inches already on the ground there. Nothing is open. He went driving around in his 4x4 only thing that he found open was Wal-Mart, Walgreens, and CVS not even a gas station open. Just thought you might want to know the local conditions.
Chuck
PS. Also it doesn't get any better the further North you drive. It's a mess and people don't have a clue about driving in this stuff.
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:57 AM   #53
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Great, woke up this morning and the cg water line is frozen...:-( Can't shower or anything until it warms up enough to unfreeze. It's supposed to go up to 38 today, so I'll just have to wait around until then. As soon as the water is running again, I'll winterize the trailer here. It's only going to get worse, so its better to do it now, then when it's sub zero temps.

We had hoped to get to Lexington KY before sitting if we had to, now I'm not so sure. I guess we'll just have to play it by ear. I know anything north of KY is going to be a mess. Some friends called me last night and said don't come home again. I wish they had said that when I was still in GA...LOL

I had trouble sleeping last night due first to the heavy rain, then I found out what everyone means about the awning covers flapping in the wind. For a while there, I thought someone was up on the roof, or something was broken up there. Then I remembered reading about the covers. Hopefully, I'll get that window of opportunity to get home sometime this week...

Jan
Old 02-14-2007, 03:59 AM   #54
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jan, you can always point that thing south and sit it out in warmer weather... where you have running water. Then head north when the weather clears. Please don't attempt towing that thing on those bad roads or even when there is a risk of ice. Bridges are the first to freeze and that clear ice is treacherous and dangerous.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:10 AM   #55
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Well, we made it back to the Lexington Horse Farm. I can't believe how cold it is, I'm not used to it!!! It wasn't too bad driving through the hills of TN and KY today, though I wasn't thrilled about the winds. Major difference in pulling thats for sure. It reminded me of driving semi again, but it handled like an empty pup trailer.

I checked in with my friend back home for weather conditions, checked online for weather in Lexington, Cincinnati, Toledo and home, so it looks like tomorrow morning is the best window of opportunity to finish the trip. We were going to sit here for a day, but the roads should be clear by tomorrow. As soon as we pulled in here today, we put on our long johns and winterized our trailers.

I told Ann when we fueled up here and had to stand in that windy, bitter cold...I'll hit the doctor up for a two month supply of my meds, pick up Chloe, then head back south again until spring. She thinks thats a GREAT idea...LOL It sure is tempting, but I need to get things taken care of to prepare for fulltiming. It's gonna be nice sleeping in my waterbed again too...:-) Time to get something on my stomach...it's been a long day!! Peace out...

Jan
Old 02-15-2007, 02:04 PM   #56
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Whew, well my trip has come to an end. I'm back home with all the cold and snow, but ready for a little R&R from the R&R...LOL I figure just going through my mail should take about a week. The roads were quite clear driving the last leg today, and the sun was out most of the time. The Monty is parked in a snow drift, and I'm really missing the fireplace. I used it every single night, and got spoiled by the ambience. Took a nice hot shower, and almost feel normal again. I WANT SPRING!!!LOL
Peace out...

Jan
Old 02-15-2007, 03:34 PM   #57
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Cheryl and I drove up to N. MI (Bellaire/Mancelona area) for a week (last week) to visit our kids, grandkids, my 2 sisters and their husbands, and my dad and mom. 7 days. Our skin dried out terribly. I had forgot about static electricity.

Had to spend an hour trying to dig my Park Ave out of 3 feet of snow when I slid off the side of my daughter and son-in-law's driveway. -20 windchill. My bad shoulder was in pain constantly from brushing snow off my car every day. Had to shovel some, also. Also, putting on 3 layers of clothes and boots were literally a pain.

We love our family, but... Back in MUCH better weather now. Shorts, T-shirts (mostly). 70s. No snow to brush/shovel. No ice and salt hanging off my car for 4 months straight.

Nice ding in my rear quarter panel where the tow rope that we were trying to yank my car out of the snow came off the truck hitch and hit it. Didn't even see it until I got back down to Knoxville and had the first opportunity to wash all the salt and sludge off my car.

Think I'll go outside and look at my palm tree and green grass again...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:11 AM   #58
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm glad to hear you made it safely, Jan.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:03 AM   #59
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Jan, Glad to hear you are back home safe and sound. I have thoroughly enjoyed your "Tales of the Asphalt", Hey that sounds like a good title for a book. Now you can get ready to "do it again".

Hope to meet you someday....

Phil & Cathy
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:40 AM   #60
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Thanks for all of the welcome homes, y'all sure are a great group of people here, and I'm really glad I found this space...:-)

I have to take Molly to the vet tomorrow morning. She has started coughing really bad. I first noticed it when I took her outside in the morning when I was at the KOA in TN. I thought it was due to the sudden cold air. She didn't cough again until I took her outside the other day at the Horse Farm in KY. Then yesterday, she started really coughing consistently. She did it all night, and it gets worse if she exerts energy. This really scares me because I know that could be signs of heart trouble. She had a bordatello shot when I had to go help my friend back from Texas when her partner died in December. So kennel cough shouldn't be at issue. She wasn't around any dogs during our CG stays, so I'm pretty worried about her...:-( She'll be two in April, and she has had more health problems than any other dog I have ever had. Hopefully, it won't be anything serious, she's such a sweet baby.

I want to go back to FL now...or at least drive south until my windows are clear enough to see out of from all the salt. Yikes, I REALLY didn't miss this stuff!!

Anyway, thanks again everyone...Peace out.

Jan