Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2004, 01:23 AM   #1
Montana_2302
Established Member

M.O.C. #2302
Keystone products

We just purchased a new Everest....wanted a Monty, but couldn't find one we could actually see....anyway; The brochure that we were given regarding the type of flooring material as well as the roof material said the product was warranteed for 25 years.....great!!!! Right?....Wrong.....get the unit home and begin looking through the owner's manual and all the accompanying paperwork....and it seems Weyerhauser only warrantees the product for 1 year from the date of purchase.....I believe the Monty's are built quite the same as the Everests....so I'm guessing you were given the same warranty......has anyone experienced the same disturbing news? If so; What has Keystones reaction been?
We really love our coach....but I did not want to purchase a product with glorified OSB unless it had the warranty as was expressed by the brochure and the salesman....25yrs. Any Ideas'?

Montana_2302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 02:53 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
The '02 and '05 Montana brochures both refer to structure wood with a 25 year warranty. I remember that during our tour of the plant, the guide gave the warranty on the structure wood as one reason that Keystone choose to use it over plywood that has no warranty. The other reason was that it is available in sizes that allow for one piece-floors that do not squeak at the joints like plywood does. I can't easily get at our trailer documents right now to see what the Mfr warranty says. Over and above anything written in any warranty is the manufactuer's willingness to fix things that are wrong that are not the customer's fault. While I have never heard of a problem with the flooring, there are other examples of situations where Keystone has made repairs long after the written warranty has expired.

Personally, I am not too worried about it, but if you really want to get to the bottom of it, call Keystone Customer Service and ask them about it.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 05:48 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
My curiosity got the better of me. I went to look at our trailer package, and yes, the Weyerhauser warranty is for 25 years (to to the orignal owner only - so that's kind of meaningless anyway.) Can't speak for an Everest, but I don't see why it would be different.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:43 AM   #4
Montana_2302
Established Member

M.O.C. #2302
Thanks for your responces....Like I said earlier dealor said 25 years and brochure said 25 years....owners packet from Weyerhauser said 1 year.....I will call Keystone....but your posts did calm me a little....Thanks again...gonna do our first shakdown tommorrow A.M. before it snows up here....then to winterize it.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:17 PM   #5
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Congratulations on your new coach. Keep us posted. Happyrving....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 02:32 AM   #6
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Congrat!!!
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 02:53 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
John and Jan, congratulations on the purchase. I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it.

I agree the idea of calling Keystone with this question is a good one. I would appreciate if you'd post back what they tell you. I think this has raised a question in some of minds, mine at least.

Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 08:37 AM   #8
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Congratulations, John and Jan. Best of luck with your new Everst.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 09:47 AM   #9
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Good Luck John and Jan.Happy Rving.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 01:56 PM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Just saw an Everest being towed today. For all the world it looked like a Monty until I got close. Hope you enjoy your unit and build many happy memories.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 03:22 PM   #11
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OntMont

My curiosity got the better of me. I went to look at our trailer package, and yes, the Weyerhauser warranty is for 25 years (to to the orignal owner only - so that's kind of meaningless anyway.) Can't speak for an Everest, but I don't see why it would be different.
What I wrote above was true of our 02 3255RL, but I checked the information that came with our new 05 3670RL, and yes it is definitely changed to ONE year. Quite a come down from 25 years! The leaflet had an 04 date on it, so I suppose this is a recent change. I may call Keystone myself on this. It looks like the 05 brochure is not current with the revised Weyerhauser warranty.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:00 PM   #12
Montana_2302
Established Member

M.O.C. #2302
ont mont; see???? really bummed me because i would not have bought it if they didn't cover for 25 years....osb/weatherboard is still inferior to marine plywood and without the 25 yr. warranty as was implied.....i'm just a little nervous.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:51 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't blame either of you for being concerned about the warranty and wanting to know why the change. Please report back what you find out.

On the positive side, I don't recall a single post about anyone having problem with the flooring base. I've heard of some with the carpet, linoleum, and plank floors but not the weatherboard. We have units back to, what, 1999 represented in this group? So maybe that's a good sign.

I'd still want some answers from Keystone on why the change, though.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:01 AM   #14
Montana_2531

M.O.C. #2531
We are thinking of trading our 3051NewVision by Sportsman for a 2003 Montana 3255. Our New Vision has been a very trouble free unit so I am wondering whether this would be a good move. Would appreciate any input. BillandCil
Montana_2531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:11 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Hi billandcil. Welcome aboard.

New Vision Ultra is one of the FWs we looked into before we bought our first Montana in January, 2001. It was a nice rig but when I started looking 'behind the scenes' I felt the Montana was better built and more likely to withstand the kind of use we give it as fulltimers. That is strictly my opinion, of course.

Montana has been the number one seller for three years in a row. Last I heard it looks like they'll add a fourth, although I've not seen recent numbers.

Montana is not perfect. There are things we'd like to see improved. Lately it seems we're hearing about more problems than we've heard about in the past. I suspect that's because we've had a large increase in membership in this forum but I don't know for sure that is what's happening. In any case, we're very pleased with this Montana, which is our fourth fifthwheel and second Montana. I think it would be a good choice for you.

There are other good brands out there, including New Vision. I personally would go with the Montana unless I found another brand with a floorplan and appointments we fell in love with, assuming I felt the build quality met my standards. I don't know if this helps at all. You're doing the smart thing by asking questions first.

Good luck.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:07 AM   #16
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
warranty is for 25 years (to to the orignal owner only - so that's kind of meaningless anyway.) Can't speak for an Everest, but I don't see why it would be different.
[/quote]What I wrote above was true of our 02 3255RL, but I checked the information that came with our new 05 3670RL, and yes it is
------------

OntMont,

Congrats on the new unit. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Interesting about the 25/1 year waranty change. Keystone is evidently the original owner of that slab of chip board. Hmmm.

Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote