Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
pathlestravel
Established Member

M.O.C. #7640
Prosser Wash.& along the coast

We will be leaving Prosser next week and heading along rt 14 through the Columbia River Gorge to the coast to see the Redwoods and then down 101. We want to end up in las Vegas. Was wondering if the rt from Redwood Vally Cal.(rt 20) to Williams at I-5 then Yuba city to Rocklin at I-80 to Reno then I-95 to Vegas would be a good route? Any help sure would be appreciated. After two months in Republic Wash. And a month here in Prosser It sure will be big change! Thanks everyone for all your help in making this a trip of a lifetime !

pathlestravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Butch and Zaida,
You are traveling a very scenic route. I hope you will be taking the time to enjoy it. The route over from 101 to I-5 is a descent route. No major grades but a bit twisty. It is a good two lane road. Again just take your time and enjoy. The route via Yuba City and then to I-80 will be a good enough route. Not too many grades but again mostly two lane road. Freeway 80 is of course a good road (mostly). I must admit it has been years since we actually have taken the road over the mountain so it might be in need of some repairs. It is a heavily traveled road. From Reno to Vegas 95 will do the job for you. We have some friends..... who live just south of Reno and they travel all the time to Vegas. Drop FireTrucker or FireTruckerWife a note and get their input. But as far as I know 95 should be a good route.

The northern route you've asked about of course depends on the weather. If good weather then you will have no problem. But if a storm comes through then you may want to take the Valley route and head south to Bakersfield then east to Barstow and then back up I-15 to Vegas.

If you end up coming south on 5 or 99 to Bakersfield please drop us a note. We do have a driveway capable of housing your 3400. We have full hookups if needed. Anyway have a great trip. Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:07 AM   #3
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
As Ham Rad said this is a good route. An alternative to I-80 is to go up Hyw 70 from Marysville/Yuba City to Reno, The road is two lane but much smoother than I-80. Another way south from Reno is down Hyw 395 in Calif., much prettier route then cut over to Vegas down by death valley.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:18 AM   #4
Gorgeguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11255
If you like history and are fancinated by the Columbia River Gorge, cross over on Hwy 197 to The Dalles and go to The Discovery Center. It is just west of The Dalles (exit 82 on I-84) it gives the history of the formation of the gorge, the Oregon trail and Wasco County (once the largest county in the US). I would plan on at least an hour or two at the center since there is a lot to see.
Wayne
Gorgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:18 AM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Capt Kidd

As Ham Rad said this is a good route. An alternative to I-80 is to go up Hyw 70 from Marysville/Yuba City to Reno, The road is two lane but much smoother than I-80.
I second Capt Kidd's suggestion. I-80 is under construction and generally unpleasant to ride on. While it is more scenic than most interstate highways, it is still an interstate. The Hwy-70 route (or alternatives) is more scenic and smoother.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
pathlestravel
Established Member

M.O.C. #7640
Thank you Dennis & Mary kay for the offer and the information, if we end up that way. I have been thinking about taking 70 instead of 80 now that Capt Kidd mentioned it, but sure looks to be a pretty big detour. I also think maybe 395 south from Reno is looking good. Gorgeguy thank you for the tip on the discovery center its on my list as well as Multnomah Falls ! It sure is alot to see and if you guys think of something else please feel free to let us know. Thank you for the support!! MOC is the best !
Old 10-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
luvmywestie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11479
I don't know if the stern wheeler is running out of Hood River still, but if you have a nice day, it is a wonderful and very scenic ride on an old fashioned stern wheeler. Not too expensive, and they give lots of history about the Columbia River gorge. They have a lot of RV parking and you can get a trip that they serve breakfast or lunch. It gives you a view of the Columbia that you just can't get from the road and is wonderful. We have lived here most of our lives and finally went on this when we had some friends visit us from Canada. We all enjoyed it very much!

If you are on I-5 and go by Willamette Vinyards and the Enchanted Forest just south of Salem, please wave as you go by- you will be in our neck of the woods!
luvmywestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Butch and Zaida,
I have never been on route 70 but if Carl and Sue and Don and Gail recommend it then it is a great route.

We have been on 395 many times and enjoy that route. Besides taking us to visit our friends it is also a nice change from the Valley. To see the sharp high peaks of the east side of the Sierras is absolutely awesome! So we go that way as often as it works for us. Not a lot of people but a lot of natural scenery. Enjoy whichever route you end up with. Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
pathlestravel
Established Member

M.O.C. #7640
I have been checking out my next rt. From 101 to 20 then picking up 70 in Marysville to 395. My question is along 70 are several tunnels, Belden - east of North Fork at Feather Ridge bridge is 13'3" was wondering about it, Cal. low clearence lists it. Has any one been through there ? As always thanks eveyone. Currently in Trinidad, Emerald Forest Rv. Pk. Beautiful and quiet place .
Old 11-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I have been through Belden but don't recall North Fork or Feather River Bridge. I am 12' 8" high but pretty sure I would noticed a 13' 3" bridge.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote