Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2011, 03:35 AM   #21
priceml
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #183
Send a message via ICQ to priceml Send a message via AIM to priceml
I would not like climbing in the bed to hook up the safety chains.

priceml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:48 AM   #22
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Yes, climbing in the bed to hookup the chains and install the "safety" bar for the ball lock requires minimal dexterity and effort, but one benefit is you're on the ball or not (no question) and will never accidently drop the trailer on the pickup.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:36 AM   #23
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I mentioned this one time before but can't find the earlier post -- probably archived since it has been awhile -- in any case, saw this thread last week so took a trip out to 4-Seasons RV by Abilene KS (our local Montana dealer)last Saturday to see if the memo was still there. It was -- On his bulletin board is a letter from Lippert saying that while their frames are used by various manufacturers, unless they specifically ask for additional strength for use as a 'gooseneck' type pull, use of Gooseneck adapters will result in denial of claims for frame damages if such result from the use of the gooseneck adapter -- such to be determined by them upon examination of the failed components.

Long winded but basically tells me that if I have a failure, they are going to check it first to see if I did something to cause it like using a gooseneck adapter. Could get expensive. Then again, the same occurs / could occur / if we use a tuner on our tow vehicles. We take a risk of being our own warranty provider.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:27 PM   #24
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I have a question. Why are safety chains required on a goose neck but not a 5th wheel?
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #25
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Why -- because -- is about the best I can come up with. Kansas trailering guide has it listed as a requirement for tow-behinds and gooseneck; no mention of same for 5th wheels.

I would imagine it has something to do with the way that the connector sits on the ball; while I've heard and seen tow-behind trailers come loose, I've never heard of a gooseneck trailer coming loose. Have seen a few wrecks where tow vehicles are pulling horse / cattle trailers and they did not disconnect so ...

Sorry I can't be of more assistance but I just have not seen any valid reason in all my readings.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:51 AM   #26
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Another Testimonial as to Gooseneck success with sturdy Montana Lippert frames (?), a friend who tows his 08 Montana with an EXTENDED ordinary Gooseneck adapter just returned from their Winter journey from MN to CA and back without problem.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #27
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
It is difficult to comprehend while Lippert would be concerned about Goosenecks if they built a competent frame. Very interesting. I do prefer gooseneck hookups as that is what we use on the farm and in oilfield hauling applications. Our double dually equiped trailer has 2 10,000 lb full floater axles with duals and carrys 25,000 lbs with no problems. In my 40 years of hauling I have never seen a failure with goose necks or frames. I am running a B & W tunover hitch so I will continue to pull my Monty with the 5th wheel set up.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote