Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2010, 07:22 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Horns

http://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13...eat=directlink

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

It shouldn’t be a problem for people to hear you!
Old 12-02-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
doofus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10583
You ought to post a "music" file so we can all hear them...
doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
I sure hope your horn setup is more reliable than mine!
I have Two Hadley Horns, a 5 Gallon tank and Viar Compressor. Run mine about 140 PSI (no permanent pressure gauge installed - just check it once in while and adjust Pressure Switch as needed).
In not quite a year since installed in Feb:
Operation was off and on for months as it took me a while to figure out some Anderson Wire Connectors were bad (Corroded)after thinking and replacing the cheap $6-8 relays from the hot ignition source (and also thinking the hot wire was bad).
Square D Pressure Switch also got all corroded on the Gulf Coast, but the side I use still works after cleaning..Other side/second contacts are now gone...
Corroded and leaky air tank drain valve had to be cleaned and re-installed.
Most recently as last week a 3" 3/8 Brass nipple (pipe)T-ed from the Compressor to Tank line for the Pressure Switch cracked along its seam! That was unbelievable...
Replaced it today and after filling / running, the Compressor hasn't run again so maybe its not leaking (for a while...
I do love them and appreciate the courtesy quick connect I installed under the bumper for airing up the Tires.
But can only recommend them to people who don't mind spending a lot of time under their truck.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Chas, I also have the Viair, my Sq D switch bit the dust on Padre Island as well, went to the encapsulated one I bought on e-bay. My trusty Hadleys bit the dust, lasted for years.I put silicone sealer on some connections, my problem was the cheap solenoid valves, I got some dandy rebuildable ones now, super reliable. Wow, cracked nipple, I have had some fail in my job as a Pipefitter. I had a hard time getting the compression fittings to stop leaking, I am about half deaf, so Sue has to get under and listen for the hisss. Yes, the quick disconnect was handy when we were on the road, right before we travel, I will install a new one.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Ozz, that looks like a great addition to any truck; however, I keep asking my wife for a loud speaker system to holler at people who are driving like nuts all around us as we make our way down the road. I think your mod to get the offender's attention paired with the load speaker to let the offender know what you think of his irresponsible driving would be a great Christmas present.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ha! I can still recall with great clarity the time I got punched in the nose. I think I will try not to re-create that moment in time.
I think your wife is wise, and a good balance for your admittedly good, but dangerous idea.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #8
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Ha! I can still recall with great clarity the time I got punched in the nose. I think I will try not to re-create that moment in time.
I think your wife is wise, and a good balance for your admittedly good, but dangerous idea.
Well, it was just an idea....
Old 12-03-2010, 05:33 AM   #9
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Sometime in the future I have a heavy duty tractor Relay and new Square D Pressure switch to accommodate a system redesign to relocate the relay and PS under the hood which will hopefully be a more benign environment than leaving then under the Cab and Bed...
So far the compression hose connectors are holding up/leak free...
Old 12-03-2010, 08:04 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I have a 'snorkel' air intake for the Viair located up in the center of the bottom of the truck, it is pretty dry and clean up there. not too far to relocate it.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:09 AM   #11
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
My Viar Air Intake is in the storage bay under the rear seat of my quad cab, so its almost directly above the compressor, but safely enclosed in the truck. That's all the space I was willing to give up on the interior
Old 12-06-2010, 10:29 AM   #12
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:

Could have used the horn/loudspeaker combo this morning as I was traveling south down I75 in the Tampa area...I was doing about 65 in a 70 zone and this guy pulling a good sized SOB fifth wheel blew by me like I was standing still! Now disregard that he was likely traveling on tires (on fifth wheel)rated at 65 mph, his fifth wheel was actually swaying! The first time I have ever seen that on a fifth wheel. What a moron! Now if I had the horn/loudspeaker combo I could have let him know he was actually being a moron, who was putting everyone else on the highway at danger because of his stupidity.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I would imagine his wife has reminded him of that on occasion... You just hope when he does wreck, he doesn't take someone with him.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:49 AM   #14
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:

I would imagine his wife has reminded him of that on occasion... You just hope when he does wreck, he doesn't take someone with him.
That's the problem, Ozz! Traveling busy interstates, when (not if) he does cause that wreck, at the speeds he seems to like to travel, he will take others with him.