Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2007, 02:31 PM   #1
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
frame flex

I am a do it yourself guy, and have been trying to find out just why my frame is flexing. I bought my 2003 3670RL Montana used, Have pulled it from Wisconsin to Texas twice now, and every trip the frame flex gets worse. I will not pull it another inch until I get it right. I looked at your factory pictures taken be a MOC member on a factory tour. I see you are shoving a piece of wood in the bottom of your aluminum frame to strengthen it. why not just use the right material the first time and put real bolts to tie everything together instead of those self tapping screws? The following post is what I put in another topic area. I like my Montana, but probably would not buy another one because of these ongoing problems Keystone is having.

I am going to put some grade 5 bolts up through the frame, through the Aluminum frame, and some steel plates on the top of the aluminum frame, and bolt it all together. I have removed the bottom front covering at least twice now, and have never found a broken weld. I see the 2007factory photos have a piece of wood stuck in the aluminum square tube to stiffen it. Must be very thin stock for them to do that. Too bad they can't get it RIGHT at some point and be done with all the complaints. They would sell more units, and all the bad mouthing would cease..maybe?

Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:08 PM   #2
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
I have looked for these photos, where are they?
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
look at the 2007 rally factory pictures. I'll see if I can get a link to you.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:09 PM   #4
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
The only pictures I could find are of the members.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:27 PM   #5
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
I found the factory tour pics. It is in there..you just gotta wade though other pics and you will see a Montana being built. You will see the aluminum frame, and subsequent pics of the montana being built.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ronstan67/MONTANARALLY2

It's in the spring 2007 rally
Old 11-25-2007, 04:30 PM   #6
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
Near the end..after the pictures of a fire..
Old 11-26-2007, 01:46 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Montana Rog,
It's interesting that Keystone is now using a piece of wood in the square aluminum tubes on the sides of the rig. That's exactly one of the things that Truck Builders in Marion, IA did to our rig when repairing our frame flex. What it's supposed to do is give the screws something to "bite" into and withstand the jolts and bumps the rig receives going down the road. When Keystone did my out of warranty work to repair the cracked fiberglass on our rig, they just stuck a short piece of wood in one of the tubes. The wood wasn't even big enough to fill the channel. Truck Builders planed down the wood to just fit in the tubes and then pounded it in the full length of the tube (I believe about 7-8 ft long). Note that Truck Builders told me that it's not just Keystone but several manufacturers that are using the aluminum structure are having the same problem. Just thought I'd pass on some of my experience in this matter.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:45 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Roger, I talked with the Keystone Service techs when they fixed our frame flex on our 2003 3295RK. Orv is correct about the purpose of the wood. It is to give the screws something to bite into. This is now done on all rigs on the assembly line, as you know, but apparently that began after yours was built.

The other thing they do when repairing the flex is to add triangular corner gusseting to stengthen the frame. They may do some additional things but this is what I recall. It is a very effective fix. I've only heard of one unit that had a recurrence of the problem.

Also, the frame has a five year warranty, if I understand correctly. If you'll contact Keystone, I'd bet they'll take care of yours at no cost to you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:45 AM   #9
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
As a retired employee of the Featherlite Alum Trailers, I want to give you a few WORDSof caution. Keystone and the industry have decided that reinforcing with wood works the best. Although putting STEELbolts in is not a good idea as steel and aluminumn do not mix. They chemically react to each other after going down the road and getting a little of the rain/road water/salt on them. They corrode and crack. Then you really have a problem
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:57 PM   #10
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
would stainless steel bolts do better than steel?
Old 11-26-2007, 01:01 PM   #11
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
Hi Steve,

I would be willing to have a Montana dealer have a look at it, but this is our home, and can't tie it up for even a day. I wonder how long the repair takes? If they have to take the front cap off, remove the bottom, do the repair, I can see a week or more for it to get back on the road. There is a dealer here in the Rio Grande Vally, may have to take a cycle ride and talk to them here in the Vally.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:38 PM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Rog

Hi Steve,

I would be willing to have a Montana dealer have a look at it, but this is our home, and can't tie it up for even a day. I wonder how long the repair takes? If they have to take the front cap off, remove the bottom, do the repair, I can see a week or more for it to get back on the road. There is a dealer here in the Rio Grande Vally, may have to take a cycle ride and talk to them here in the Vally.
The place where we had ours repaired took four days and we were allowed to stay in the rig IN the building. We were given a key to the building so that we could come and go as desired. Now that's customer service!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote