Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2007, 03:24 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
12v help

06 3400..both 12V light at the Pc desk, the overhead and the one on the side wall do not work...Every other 12V light in the camper works.. Both light fixtures are good as I tested them on my 12V source on my work bench//they light up fine..here is the weird part .. I can read 12V at the Orange/white and white wires at the wall...but when hooked up the lights will not work.. ?????

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:43 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sounds like a dropped ground wire somewhere.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:58 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ozz..Exactly...and I can not find where that might be.Was not moving the slides..was not doing anything..the lights just went out..is there a fuse or fusible link somewhere.It only affects those two lights?? I can't even find a ground???

Update...So I took the 12V fixture off the wall back by the window and used that ground and the lights come on..big deal.. The wiring is of course in the wall..The color coding is not even the same..I have no idea where the wires from those two fixtures go. The two fixtures on the PC desk are ganged together and apparently not connected to any ot her light fixture.. Who wired these things.,.Dr Frankenstien??

UPDATEagain..Fuse blown in the iota panel..The one for the KITCHEN 15A.. Do not trust the red lights.. some work..some don't..Use the trusty OHM meter to trouble shoot.. It suddenly dawned on me that I was trusting Rv stuff to aid me in troubleshooting.. what a idiot. The thing is with that fuse blown all the 12v lights worked ..execpt those two on the PC desk..... I would like to see the print on that..Execpt there isn't any???
Old 10-04-2007, 05:38 AM   #4
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Rich - You "don't need no stinking prints!" You're a guy. And, after all, you have the Ozz!!!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I confuse easily, but it sounds like to me..that there is another problem, if the ground is dropped, a fuse would not be a factor, as you stated, (I think) you had power, not a circuit---ground. I hope this is not related to your meltdown out in the S.W.
Cornfusing... wish I was there to help.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:38 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Rich,

All of the 12V circuits home-run back to the IOTA, using that "zip" or "lamp" cord style wiring. Based on your description, you gained back the lights by connecting to an alternate ground?

If so, look behind the IOTA panel. On the wall is a grounding bar with all of the grounds for the 12V screwed into it. Mine had many many loose terminals. My dollar bet is you lost a ground connection back there.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:15 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The alternate ground was just a troubleshooting aid.. I gained back lights by replaceing two 15A fuses..the 8th and 9th ones over from the left on the Iota.. the complete panel was replaced at the factory in Apil of this year.. Both fuses were blown.. One brpought back the Pc desk lights and the other brought back the two lights on the back wall on either side of the window????
Old 10-04-2007, 12:17 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
OK - I owe you a dollar . Glad you got it fixed.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:48 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am still trying to figure out the wiring..I don't think there is a plan with how these things are wired..yours is probably different than mine... pull those fuses and see if the Pc desk lights and the rear light go out?? I am going to pull one fuse at a time and see what does not work then make a print of my own.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:04 PM   #10
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Rich,
I found the IOTA red lights will not come on unless there is a current demand on the circuitry. If the switch was off and the fuse blown no led lit. If the light switch is on requesting current then the LED would lite.
Good luck,
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:41 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
John..That is a good thing to know..I will log that away.Anyhow all is now nornal and back to my original rask of installing a sirius radio in the camper. Got a sirius receiver at wallmart for under $30.00 and ran it through the DVD system for the audio..works fine. Now I need to run the antenna up to the roof..Will unlimber the chainsaw in the AM.....
Old 10-04-2007, 04:07 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

Rich,
I found the IOTA red lights will not come on unless there is a current demand on the circuitry. If the switch was off and the fuse blown no led lit. If the light switch is on requesting current then the LED would lite.
Good luck,
Cheers,
John, yes that is interesting... Did not know that.

Brad, thanks for raising a red flag for me again on those loose connections on that Iota. When I first got our 3400 out of the dealership, I pulled the panel and thoroughly checked all connections. All tight. However, that was over a year ago and about 5,000 miles ago. Need to pull that panel again. I am blowing those 12v light bulbs over the desk...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:02 PM   #13
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
OK, Rich, when OZZ brought out the chainsaw he had pictures. So we want to see pictures!! LOL Glad to hear you were able to get things sorted out.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:03 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Rich, the antenna will work fine mounted inside the cabinet, I just made a small metal bracket, the magnetic antenna base works great there.