Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
AJH
Established Member

M.O.C. #11247
US / Mexican border town RV parks

Does anyone have any information about border town RV parks along the border. Heading south for winter, and want to visit Mexico. Looking for RV parks on the US side only. Any help would be approciated, names, web sites, experences, to do's and not to do's.

AJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:14 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
AJH,
Where are you thinking of crossing? There are places you DON'T want to cross. El Paso/Juarez, Nogales, Mexicali and Tijuana are places you don't want to cross.

The two places we've visited are Puerto Penasco and Algodones. PP is south of Gila Bend and Yuma is across from Algodones. One other place we've crossed at was a little town called Las Palomas which is across from Columbia, NM.

As you can tell we did not venture far from the border. We felt perfectly safe all the times we were there.

More details of your plans would help with more specific information. Good luck. Dennis.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:29 AM   #3
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
reo grande valley in texas is safe.mercedes tx .try sun to snow or vesrsa rv resorts.they have some deals .
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I have always wanted to check this one out. Can't get closer to Mexico than that!

Now, a couple things I have heard lately. Both instances were said to have happened at Auturio's Restaurant in Progreso. Folks ate their meal, and requested ticket. They received a bill in excess of $600. When the husband began to argue, he was told he was buying dinner for a table with several "gentlemen" at it. He was advised to pay the bill and did so. On another occasion, it was reported that a group of men came in, went around to all tables requesting cell phones and cameras. They explained it was not voluntary. I was told when the group finished eating, they gave everyone's property back and left. I have no way of verifying any of the above. I still go to Mexico, but we no longer eat while there. We get what we came after and get the hell back across the bridge.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Heard those stories also...wouldnt have beleived them for a second except....in Progresso down the street is a new gentlemens club...I passed by and noted loud music.."ladies" dancing and several gentlemen in the immediate area.... stuck around to observe and actually spoke to some of the men...Retired as a 30 yr veteran LEO 7 years ago...after all that time I got that feeling and I dont think the gut is ever wrong..but in this case even the my skin crawled.....in a couple of years, Progresso will not be a good place to go..
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Always thought Tijuana was a swell place! Especially after being rolled by a couple of TJ cops on my last visit (45 years ago). Maybe things have improved in all of that time, but I will not be visiting any time soon.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I personally have no desire to go to Mexico, but if I should have to, then will check the travel warnings on the U.S. State Department's web site(s)

Good luck, and be safe.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #8
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Mexico (particularly the border areas) is not a destination anyone should be considering unless you can afford a company of Green Berets or Seals to accompany you. Spend your $$$ and be safe under Old Glory! I know, everyone has friends that regularly go south of the line and have a jolly old time. In MHO. it's a ticking time bomb.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #9
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
We go into Algodones to shop and then right out. We don't leave the tourist area.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #10
gr8330
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11715
Another thing to remember is the Mexicans like American trucks so park carefully.
gr8330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:52 PM   #11
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
AJH,

We have stayed several times at Pilot Knob RV Resort which is just a short distance from the Los Algodones, MX crossing near Yuma.

We would never EVER take our rig or truck over the border for any reason these days.

We do feel safe parking our truck on the US side and walking across the border......and then back. We never take anything of any value with us when we go across.

BTW, you'll need your passport.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:12 PM   #12
Farmhawk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9080
There is an Indian run campground right outside of the border crossing to Algodones called Sleepy Hollow RV Park. It is not a high class resort by any stretch of the imagination but they offer both full hookups or dry camping. It is only 500 yds from the border. There is a pretty heavy Border Patrol influence in the area.
Farmhawk is offline   Reply With Quote