Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2006, 01:19 PM   #1
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
insulation behind front cap

Anybody had their front fiberglass cap off? Is there any insulation in there? I was digging around in the front closet on my 3670 today and noticed condensation on the inside of the walls. It is about 30 degrees outside here in Wisconsin and we are heating to 70 inside. I know what's happening here. Really don't want to take the front off if I don't have to without knowing what's back there. I also know that I don't have a leak because I have our unit in a building and it has not been subject to water all summer..thanks for any tips! Rog

Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:33 PM   #2
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Rog

I may be able to answer your question with this pic.

I hope this helps you out. Larry

Old 11-14-2006, 01:38 PM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
It may help if you keep the closet open a bit so you get a little air circulation
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:45 PM   #4
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
well, I see there is fiberglass in there. I wonder if I have that? Mine is a 2003 3670RL with the arctic insulation package. We do keep the bedroom door shut during the day, and early evening so it is cool in there. Then we open it up before bed to heat it up a bit. Maybe that is causing the problem. Thanks for the tips..I will keep checking back for any updates..Rog
Old 11-14-2006, 04:27 PM   #5
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Rog

We also run a small fan (12 x 12) by the bed with the closet door open and the fan blows air into the closet. We sleep better with the fan running, and it help circulate the air. Larry
Old 11-15-2006, 02:03 PM   #6
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
Wife likes a fan also...only she wants it blowing on her head...(the human furnace) I would think the warmer it is in the closet, the worse the problem. Anyway...keep the information coming! I may take the cap off when I get to Texas and do some work in there.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:58 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rog, I've seen our 2003 (our previous Montana) with the cap off at the service center. Also several other models. They all have insulation in them. I've also seen them during each of the five Montana factory tours we've done.

The only time we have had condensation is when we went from 32 degrees to 62 degrees in about three hours. I think the sudden warmup is what did it. If yours is 30 inside when you turn on the furnace then maybe that's why you got the condensation. You should not continue getting condensation, however. We're in similar weather as you and are not having that problem.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:52 PM   #8
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
I don't think they put a vaper barrier in there. In all cases with a house Poly should be on the wall last before sheetrock or what ever you cover the studs with. I doubt very much that is the case on our Montanas. Maybe my insulation has fallen off the back of that wall. Anyway, we will be out of this cold weather in 9 days and it will dry out finally ya!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-16-2006, 03:37 PM   #9
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hey Montana Rog, You need to understand this is an RV...not a 6" vapor barrier! Thermal changes will generate condensation as we cannot afford to drag very large thermal bricks down the highway. Having said that, we have not been in really cold weather yet but when there are rapid thermal or humidity changes it causes all kinds of condensation on windows etc inside. There are evenings when we boil spagetti and other stuff...we get the same problem! I would hate for you to go to great extents to put layer of Poly on inside of fiberglass cap....and find there is still a problem!!
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:41 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I seem to remember that there is a vapor barrier in the front cap with the insulation. I'll check my pictures I took at the factory and see if I can find that sequence. But I do know for sure that they put a lot of insulation in the cap.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:45 PM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Charlie,
I assume the picture with the snow on it is one taken in Bryce Canyon. I was just there a few months back and was wondering what it would look like with snow! Thanks to you I now know! Beautiful isn't it?!

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote