Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2006, 11:13 PM   #41
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Dave & Cheryl, that is our thoughts too. I think it could be challenging even in a Montana in mid Michigan all winter. What I fear most is the freezing of pipes and the condensation issues. We don't want to spend hard earned money on an RV and then have it ruined due to condensation from all the cold weather it would be subjected to. I realize it may/may not happen and with the attic vents the new Montana's have and even with us using a dehumidifier that is still a real concern of ours. Also, living in even a pretty well insulated RV in mid Michigan weather in zero and sometimes below temps is concerning to me. My husband is an industrial insulator so I do think he could make us pretty air tight and insulate the pipes and skirt us good but still until we tried it we just wouldn't know and we can't afford to make a big mistake.

As I said, I would not hesitate if we knew we would be/stay comfortable in the winter AND we would not do damage to the RV.

All this being said, I felt pretty good yesterday and I went through almost all the house and got rid of a LOT of stuff, some I just tossed but a lot will be put in a a yard sale my cousin is having. Some things are being given to our sons, so I am preparing to downsize whether it be an RV or a mobile home.

Sandi & John & 3 Shih Tzu from Michigan (2 adult sons, 1 DIL)
Considering selling stick house, purchasing a Montana, living in it full-time locally so we can continue to live near my elderly father. Continuing to work full-time. Dreaming of the day we can head south for winter!

Wannabe Full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:44 AM   #42
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sandi, I'm sure you are also considering an area that is protected as much as posiblefrom the wind (woods, hills). That, of course, will make a big difference, also.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:57 AM   #43
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Yeah, wouldn't want to be out in an "open field" type of situation. Definitely was looking at that at the CG we were considering, the only one open near where it would be feasible for us both to drive for our jobs, but it is also on the Saginaw Bay. It sits about 1/4 mile from the Bay with woods/trees blocking the wind though.

Considering selling stick house, purchasing a Montana, living in it full-time locally so we can continue to live near my elderly father. Continuing to work full-time. Dreaming of the day we can head south for winter!
Old 09-11-2006, 04:58 PM   #44
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
That's still not too bad. An easterly wind - rare - would be the only possible problem.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:03 PM   #45
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Doug Lloyd

We sold a large home on 2.5 acres in the Texas Hill Country near Marble Falls and downsized to Montana 3295.
Doug, by any chance do you know Jim and Lorine Kuhn? They lived in Marble Falls but now live out on Lake LBJ between MF and Kingsland. I forgot the name of the housing area. We have been there a couple of times, staying out at Lake LBJ this past March.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'07 3400RL
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:52 PM   #46
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Steve, thanks for that important info about the possible wind off the bay!

I tell you husband & I are still truly undecided. We just keep going back and forth. LOL He really is not fond of a mobile home/ mobile home park living (I think he likes the idea of mobility with an RV) and from what I have seen from an interior standpoint of the few single wide mobiles I have seen (which is only what we are considering), the quality does not look anything like the interior of the Montana's. We have a manufactured home and it looks like a regular stick built home, fully drywalled with full oak cabinets and obviously the price reflected that, so I guess you get what you pay for as they say. That is how I feel about the Montana's and the mobiles I have seen do not look as nice as them. We have looked at quite a few 5ers and we still just keep talking about the Montana's and the quality and how much we loved them. I told husband if he could build on an addition, like we have seen on several seasonal sites, I would want to go for it. The only issue with that being if we decided to move the Montana and not wanting to leave the addition behind and how difficult it would be to move that! LOL I really have just two main fears, issues with the cold weather obviously (and condensation) and also the fact that I stay at home to work and the fear of feeling like the walls are closing in on me in the winter. I keep thinking of our three little dogs too being cooped up inside in the winter and no window (patio door like at home) to laze around and look out all day.

I thought husband brought up a good point last night - the fact that even though we may live in the Montana for years, the fact that we wouldn't be moving it around all the time traveling a lot (possibly moving it once a year or less even) may be actually easier on the Montana than if we were traveling/on the road a lot with it. Any thoughts on that???

Also, eventually we would need to sell the mobile and of course lose $ on that for sure but with the Montana we would plan on keeping it for years, even once we moved to my Dad's home. I know it will still depreciate it but I think we would get a LOT of years of use out it!

Old 09-19-2006, 04:46 PM   #47
Montana_6099
Established Member

M.O.C. #6099
My wife and I closed on the sale of our house today.

We wish we would have done this 6 years ago!

Good luck!
Montana_6099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 05:11 PM   #48
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
Just sold our house in July 2006. We live in a park model Breckenridge at a resort for the summer...our permanent residence...on a lake in Northern Wisconsin. We have a pontoon on the dock, shed, deck, and fire pit. I earned enough money doing local construction to pay my seasonal fee. When they turn the water off in October, We will be staying in our aircraft hanger which contains our Montana until after Thanksgiving. Then it will be off to Texas for the winter. We have all our important "stuff" stored there. Aircraft hangers are a great way to store all your stuff. You lease the land. Build a pole barn, pay personal property taxes on the building and use it like a storage shed. I rent out space for two aircraft, and I actually make money on my renters. I live there 3 months of the year in my montana inside the building. Then in the spring, it's back to Northern Wisconsin. I just keep sending mail forwarding cards to whereever I am living. I also have a notebook computer for paying bills and email. THAT'S MY STORY AND I'M STICKING TO IT..HA HA..
Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote