Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2006, 10:09 AM   #1
zteg
Established Member

M.O.C. #6021
Hydraulic fluid

I pulled the rig out to get started checking before rally and found that the hydraulic fluid is just above the half way point. There was only a film on the bottom of the tray. When slides are retracted the fluid should return to reservoir. Correct?? Has anyone experienced this? The slides have not been opened since dealer service in the spring. Any info appreciated. Thanks John.

zteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:24 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
John,

Mine was delivered new in 2003 with the reservoir half full when retracted and I never messed with it. This year they started to sputter at the last few inches, and I notices some splash coming up through the vent in the reservoir. I thought for sure I had a leak, but none found. I just filled the reservoir to within a 1/2" of the top when retracted as the manual says, using a flashlight behind the reservoir to see the level better. No more sputter and all is working smoothly with no splashback. I used Auto Transmission Fluid (ATF)as the manual said (I used Dexron II/III).

I also took some time to spray a little lithium grease on the lower slide gears and rail which quieted it right down.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:20 AM   #3
zteg
Established Member

M.O.C. #6021
Brad,
Thanks for your reply. To be honest I did not observe level when delivered or when we were away last year. Could have also been only filled to that level. I will top off and see next week. On the gears I usually use WD 40. Afraid grease has a tendancy to attract dust etc..
John
zteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:45 AM   #4
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Might want to watch that WD40 - tends to gunk some things up over time. Several comments in other forum threads about it. I normally spray it on and then try to wipe as much off with a clean towel - amazing the stuff that comes off on the towel. Much smoother and quieter after doing so.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 03:29 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
zteg - you might be right about the grease. I thought about, thought again, and decided to try it (assumed most is retracted on the road). I'll have to watch it, and if necessary I'll give it a high pressure bath and try some WD40.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:12 PM   #6
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I bought some slide lube from CW. Seems to work fine. I have not yet seen any buildup or dirt attraction.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 03:18 AM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dale, MIMF, our slide expert, recommends WD40 on those slide gears, as does the service center. They give it a GOOD spray. That is a just for your information post!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote