Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2006, 12:19 AM   #1
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Addes costs while traveling in the Monty

My wife and I are considering some long trips, just short of full timing for right now, but I would certainly appreciate your comments about how much it cost, in addition to your normal costs of living, to be trraveling in your Monty. I was trying to budget by looking only at campground fees plus gas, but I suspect there are other hidden costs.

John and Dorothy
'06 Dodge 3500 Diesel pulling Montana 3075RL

gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:05 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Food is food, always need to eat, but you might eat out more than you do when you are home. What is traveling without trying out some of the local fare??

Better budget in "tourist fees", are you gonna want to visit some museums? Most have an entrance fee. National parks, possible fees,

If you are just gonna run from point A to point B you won't have much of that, but Al and I just might start taking in more Presidents Homes and Archives, did one, really enjoyed it. Not real expensive, but there was a fee, so added about $20 for that day to our expenses.

Have fun John and Dorothy. Others will have lots more ideas!

(Thanks Glenn)

Al & Carol Stevens Tipton, Mi.
Retired - Traveling with 4 Yorkies
2004 3295RK
2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Our Camping Rig History
Montana Improvements and Travel Reports
Recipe for the RVing Life

Our take on RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash."

Every day spent on earth is a blessing, every day spent in our Montana is a day blessed twice.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:12 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We eat out a lot more often than when we lived in a stick house.
We stop at numerous attractions along the way. Some are free but most are not.

To save money...
We try to stay longer at the individual campgrounds. A weekly stay is usually less than a daily rate and a monthly rate is cheaper yet.
We joined the Good Sam's Club which can save you 10% at participating campgrounds.
We also joined Passport America which is a 50% savings at participating parks.
If either of you is 62 or over consider the Golden Age Passport. The Golden Access Passport is free.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0
WE SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

Click on either of the above for a larger image
We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Click on the Flags for the Forecast
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:35 AM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Don't forget, if you do a lot of traveling like we do, oil changes and service on the truck and Monty are more frequent. We haven't found a cheap place yet for changing oil on a diesel. Food does cost us a lot more since I joined the L.E.O. Club.

Helen

To follow our journey please click: Bill and Helen's Journey
2005 Montana 3475 pulled by our 2005 Ford 350 Power Stroke Diesel
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:06 PM   #5
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Go to www.rv-dream.com. There is a financial analysis for simple, medium and "luxury" lifestyle. Get back to me if I mistyped the url.

Mike

F350 7.3L LB SRW
2003 3575RL
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 02:49 AM   #6
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
We got back recently from a 2 week trip and by far the most costly part was buying diesel. I figure that between the cost of fuel and campground fees, we spent about $100/day. That does'nt include anything else-like eating! Cheap place for oil changes. I have been taking my own oil along and usually go to a dealer to ask how much labor only is to change the oil. Depending where you are, it will run anywhere from $11.00 up.

2002 GMC 2500HD Ext cab 4x4, D/A, Bilstiens, Hellwig rear sway bar, air lift w/in cab control
2007 Mountaineer 31RLD TT
Zodiac 10' w/4hp mercury
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:53 AM   #7
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
I think it will cost you the following, 2.85 fuel by 8 pmg equals .36 cents per mile, so take the miles you intend to drive times that for fuel cost. Campground or rv park fees will cost you on average 35.00 per day, depending on nighty, weekly or monthly fees. Everything else should stay the same as to your living standards, ie; eating out, touristisy things etc. Only you can conrol the cost that you wish to spend other than fuel and park fees. You should consider some toll charges, and a few quarts of oil, along with some momentoes that you will surely pick up along the way. Budgeting is the best solution to these, pick a number and live within it.
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 05:22 PM   #8
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
You will tend to live a bit more lavishly that at home....just part of the "on vacation" syndrome. Eat out more often, have a bit more entertainment and recreation expenses than "at home".

Our CG expenses average about 20-25 dollars a day. We use weekly and, sometimes, monthly rate "breaks" and various discounts (Passport America, Good Sam, etc.)

Our monthly "fixed" expenses are Verizon, Direct TV, and Internet provider. Not much else. Propane averages 7 gal every 8-9 days if the heater is used a lot, one tank a month (or better) otherwise.

TV servicing expenses will be necessary. Hopefully, there won't be any RV servicing or repair bills.

PJ, Nan and Scooter
3655FL
'99 Dodge Diesel 2500, BD auto trans, pwr chip, Pac brake, Bielsen shocks, Banks Exhaust.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote