Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2006, 05:33 PM   #1
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
flush king overflows

On my mountaineer 348rls fiver,I never get a good result when draining black tank. I always wait till it's 2/3 full. I always end up back flushing with my flush king 2 or 3 times. If I back fill until water starts leaking out underneath, Then everything busts loose, and I get a good clean out. Recently at my seasonal site I flushed it out on Sunday, came back several days later to hitch up for a trip. When I raised up the jacks, several gal of water poured out of the underbelly. Is this normal? I'm concerned that water is laying in there and could ruin insulation and cause mold or mildew.
Is this normal, or do I have a problem? Thanks and God Bless, Ray

ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:41 PM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I would say that this is not a normal thing to have happen. You should not be leaking Black water anywhere. Let us know what you find to be the problem.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:06 AM   #3
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
The water that comes out from the underbelly is clear. I assume that as I backfill thru the flush king, once the black tank is filled,that there must be some type of overflow release that lets the water out instead of backing up into toilet room floor. My second concern is that I've soaked the insulation and may get mold or mildew. This occurs when I'm rinsing the tank after initially dumping. Any other thoughts welcome. Thanks and God Bless, Ray
Old 07-28-2006, 02:29 AM   #4
Paul Severson
Established Member

M.O.C. #2677
I have had the same yhing happen with the grey tank and water in the underbelly. Either tank should not leak and the vent is to the roof of the Trailer. I would take it in as you have a leak some where it is not sussposed to be.

Mine turned out to be a crack in the grey tank and had to be replaced.

Good luck!
Paul Severson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 05:19 AM   #5
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
" If I back fill until water starts leaking out underneath"

Not sure I understand Ray. What is the water leaking out underneath of?

If you're saying that you are getting water leaking out of the belly of the RV and that signals you to stop backfilling, it shouldn't do that. If your plumbing connections are sound, the black water side should back up into the toilet or out the roof vent (not that you want either to happen). The grey water side should back up into the lowest drain first (again, not that you would want that to occur).

My guess if that you have a bad vent pipe joint that is allowing the leakage. It should be fixed ASAP.

BTW. In the owners manual on my Monty it says that the black tank dump valve must be in the open position when using the built in black tank flush system. The built in system is obviously not a Flush King, but my guess is that those instruction are intended to keep from putting back pressure on some part of the system.

If that's the case, I guess I don't understand how backfilling the tank with the dump valve closed on the Flush King would be OK. Customer service at Keystone might be able to advise if the Flush King is acceptable to use. OTOH if it's not OK, they may reject a warranty claim. Kind of a catch 22.

Gary

wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:51 AM   #6
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
The black tank valve must always be in the open position when using a flush king so that the water can fill the tank in reverse. Once the tank is full water pours out thru the underbelly. I don't intentially over flow it but its happened once or twice when I got distracted from what I was doing. I'll check with dealer first. Thanks, Ray
Old 08-01-2006, 04:35 AM   #7
NASCARon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4082
Your tank is cracked... and quite possibly the flush king cracked it. The flush king cracked my black tank.

God Bless
Ron, Tina & Sophie (The Mutt)
A Couple Saved by Grace
Full-timers starting June 2007

2001 Keystone Montana 3670RL
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LT, D/A, DRW, CC
Jordan 2020 Ultima, Reese 16K Kwik-Slide
NASCARon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:28 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ray, Welcome to the Forum, sounds like you need to have it checked by the dealer, I would choose my words carefully when describing your methods of back washing-back flushing, I have only plastic bubble wrap on mine, you may or may not have Fiberglass that would get soaked.
Good luck, and use the back flush system with care.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 1500 watt inverter
Honda 2000 Generator, 2nd one and twinning kit coming
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets
On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat
Hadley Air Horns
Truck inverter with 110 volts for laptop
Color Backup Camera
Awning lock
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 12:12 PM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Ray

Walking away, when running the back flush, well, not the best idea, as many here can attest to. SIGHHHH

If you did, and you overflowed, it should not be running out the bottom of your unit, sorry, that is a sure sign of TROUBLE! It sounds to me that you have a busted tank or busted out some of the fittings when you over filled the tank with the flush.

I would say you are right to be concerned about water coming from the underbelly, right to be concerned about mold etc.

If you cannot do it, get to a dealer, but get that under belly opened up and start drying out the insides and find the leak.

Another trick that a lot of us use, is to follow the mantra: LESS PAPER, MORE WATER!! Use, of course, tp that disolves, it does NOT have to be that RV stuff, but it does need to be septic tank safe. Many of us don't flush the "gently used" paper, it goes in a trash can. If you are on full hookups, be sure to add LOTS of extra water to every flush. If ya got a lot of water in there, the solid stuff will flush out better.

Good luck with your problem, and welcome to the forum.

Carol

Al & Carol Stevens Tipton, Mi.
Retired - Traveling with 4 Yorkies
Our Camping Rig History
Montana Improvements and Travel Reports
Our take on RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash."
2004 3295RK
2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Every day spent on earth is a blessing, every day spent in our Montana is a day blessed twice.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:21 PM   #10
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
just a thought fill each tank with colored water each different from the other and see witch one is leaking then start looking for the problem this could be a big one so I'd be looking asap

tim ford
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:32 PM   #11
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Nascaron - I just finished posting a question on your recent thread under Repairs/Service concerning this issue. Maybe someone can explain how the tank can pressurize to the point of bursting without coming out the toilet &/or vent pipe? Mike

Mike & Ronni Sorrell
Bakersfield, Calif.
'06 3295RK
'03 GMC Duramx/Allison,4 door, long bed, supersprings,starboard running boards LineX
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 04:58 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
There should be no water coming out of the belly. If yours leaks when full then there has to be a leak. Probably near the vent when full. But it could be elsewhere. We had a galley tank leak only when 2/3 or more full. But the leak was a hairline crack near the dump valve at the bottom. Apparently it didn't open until there was enough weight in the tank. So, if you don't see a leak up high, continue the search over the remainder of the tank. Also check the dump pipe.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:33 AM   #13
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Bottom line is the water should not be leaking while using the Flush as long as the drain valve is open.
Now my method of flushing is too know where the water level is in the tank. I will add water too the black water tank IF necessary on the first drain. Once empty, I will close drain valve and turn on Flush system, the whole time keeping tabs on the tanks water level. When tank is near full again I turn off water and open the drain valve again to flush. After the second flush I will keep valve open and run water through Flush until I am satisfied. The Method works for me with no problems.

2005 Mountaineer 326 FKS
2002 Chevy 2500 HD SB 4X4 w Duramax/Allison Many power Adders
Forney, Texas
G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote