Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-12-2018, 08:47 AM   #21
drknapp
Montana Fan
 
drknapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redlands
Posts: 414
M.O.C. #9135
We just had the black tank handle break off on the last trip. They replaced it with a Valterra valve also. Operates a lot easier than it did before.
__________________
2011 3150RL
drknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:52 AM   #22
Baldicon
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 188
M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknapp View Post
We just had the black tank handle break off on the last trip. They replaced it with a Valterra valve also. Operates a lot easier than it did before.
Did you replace it with an electric valve or cable valve? I guess what I'm wanting to know, are the Valterra cable valves better than the cable valves that Montana uses, or is that what Montana uses?
__________________
2019 Montana 3121RL
2017 XLT 350 SCLB DRW 4X4
Baldicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:02 PM   #23
drknapp
Montana Fan
 
drknapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redlands
Posts: 414
M.O.C. #9135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldicon View Post
Did you replace it with an electric valve or cable valve? I guess what I'm wanting to know, are the Valterra cable valves better than the cable valves that Montana uses, or is that what Montana uses?
We replaced it with a cable valve again. It operates a lot better than the original ever did. In fact, I'm going to replace my galley tank valve as it's getting hard to pull also.
drknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:14 PM   #24
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Round Rock
Posts: 217
M.O.C. #17905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
Both those are 3". I threw away the cable pulls for the most dependable valve I could find, a direct pull valve.
Where did you find the direct pull valves? And do the handles mount in the same place as the old cable pull handles(convenience center)?
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:25 PM   #25
Baldicon
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 188
M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknapp View Post
We replaced it with a cable valve again. It operates a lot better than the original ever did. In fact, I'm going to replace my galley tank valve as it's getting hard to pull also.
Last question from me, I promise. Did you replace just the cable, or the cable and the valve?
__________________
2019 Montana 3121RL
2017 XLT 350 SCLB DRW 4X4
Baldicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:35 PM   #26
Renegade1LI
Seasoned Camper
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Islip Terrace
Posts: 93
M.O.C. #22165
Has anyone installed access panels below where the physical valve is located? I too have the cable pulls so i opened up the corroplast to locate each valve. Once i get it home i will add access panels just in case.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:54 AM   #27
drknapp
Montana Fan
 
drknapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redlands
Posts: 414
M.O.C. #9135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldicon View Post
Last question from me, I promise. Did you replace just the cable, or the cable and the valve?
The whole thing, the cable and the valve.
__________________
2011 3150RL
drknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:03 PM   #28
Montana Man
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Lemoore
Posts: 194
M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteandJoan View Post
Where did you find the direct pull valves? And do the handles mount in the same place as the old cable pull handles(convenience center)?
The valves can be found at any rv parts store. There are two main brands of valves. You must first find out which valves you have and replace with like brand. No my new valves do not work out of the convenience center. I drilled two holes and ran the actuating rods through the frame.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:20 PM   #29
Lee A Thorson
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Storm Lake
Posts: 2
M.O.C. #18857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
The valves can be found at any rv parts store. There are two main brands of valves. You must first find out which valves you have and replace with like brand. No my new valves do not work out of the convenience center. I drilled two holes and ran the actuating rods through the frame.
I just replaced the Bristol valves that came with my Montana with Valterra valves. Same bolt pattern and they work just fine. The Valterra's have a solid cable instead of the stranded one that stopped working. Note that the cable does not go all the way in when properly installed. Keep pushing on it long enough and it will fold onto itself. Raising the front of the camper as high as you can and flushing a bunch will make the job less messy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180625_164820.jpg (62.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20180625_164823.jpg (52.8 KB, 5 views)
Lee A Thorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:07 PM   #30
CaptnJohn
Montana Master
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 1,024
M.O.C. #19865
My 2017 HC arrived with Valterra cable valves
__________________
John & Patty
2017 Montana HC 370BR
2016 Lariat F350 4X4
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:28 AM   #31
Dave W
Montana Fan
 
Dave W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 409
M.O.C. #14547
After going through a session this spring of valve blades being stuck in the seal, am hesitant to use an electric operated type. The tank valves are not an easily accessed item if one were to fail on the road, I do like the rod actualed version which I belive is in the galley tank drain though it doesn't work easily.
__________________
Dave W
Traveling with my DW Susan, a couple poodlepups and our 2014 Montana High Country 343RL, being towed by a 6.7 2011 F250 CCLB using a B&W hitch and OEM puck system
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:37 AM   #32
Baldicon
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 188
M.O.C. #20906
Do you have to access the valve body to identify what brand it is?
__________________
2019 Montana 3121RL
2017 XLT 350 SCLB DRW 4X4
Baldicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:34 AM   #33
Dave W
Montana Fan
 
Dave W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 409
M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldicon View Post
Do you have to access the valve body to identify what brand it is?
. s
Most of these valve are hidden under the belly Coroplast cover.Our black an bath are reasonably easy while the galley would be a bear ithout slash and remove an access hole
__________________
Dave W
Traveling with my DW Susan, a couple poodlepups and our 2014 Montana High Country 343RL, being towed by a 6.7 2011 F250 CCLB using a B&W hitch and OEM puck system
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:30 AM   #34
William Hougham
New Member
 
William Hougham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 7
M.O.C. #19048
Every time we dump I ask for a special place in Hell for the engineer who thought it was OK to put the kitchen grey water valve under a slide out in front of the tires. Obviously not a user. Only valve problem until now though is a broken plastic handle that is an obsolete style and unavailable to replace. Using vise grips to pull the cable now.
William Hougham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:38 AM   #35
jeffba
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Bastrop
Posts: 1,020
M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hougham View Post
Every time we dump I ask for a special place in Hell for the engineer who thought it was OK to put the kitchen grey water valve under a slide out in front of the tires. Obviously not a user. Only valve problem until now though is a broken plastic handle that is an obsolete style and unavailable to replace. Using vise grips to pull the cable now.
Amen to that!!!
__________________
2019 20th Anniversary Edition 3701LK
B&W 20K for Ford OEM Puck
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW
Poke super lignum unum et diem
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:09 PM   #36
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Round Rock
Posts: 217
M.O.C. #17905
I think I like the idea of the solid rod system with no kinks or bends in a cable to worry about. Are there kits available including the rods or would I supply and cut to length?
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Montana RV, Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.