Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
Tim denkers
Established Member

M.O.C. #12401
Battery run down not dead but close

This is the story,
This is second season for our camper and the battery seems to be dying pretty quickly. When I tried to hook up to leave from the site last week, I had to get a jump for the hydraulic pump to kick in. Last year and this year I always seem to have some sort of battery issue. I try to remember to unhook it between trips and during the weekend or week stay. Is there reference material somewhere I could review for best practice so I could benchmark against them. I'm starting to get a little frustrated. Practical advise is welcomed also

Tim denkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I always try to pull in my slides and jacks before I unhook from shore pwer
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
If it were my battery I would disconnect it, put it on a charger and charge it up fully. I would go to an automotive supply and buy a Hydrometer to test each cell individually for specific gravity. That will tell you if you have a bad cell. Testers are inexpensive but a must have if you really want to check a battery properly.

If you are able to have your unit plugged in when not in use then do so, leave the battery hooked up and it will receive a charge when and as needed by the converter.

I "always" hook up to shore power before putting out my slides, I "always" bring them in before unhooking. In doing so not all the load is on the battery as you will be getting assistance from the converter.

Recap: Disconnect and charge your battery first, then check the specific gravity in each cell, check voltage a couple of hours after charging, should be around 12.8 volts. Reconnect the battery in the Monty and check the voltage again, if you are plugged into shore power and the converter is working the voltage should increase to around 13.4 to 13.6 volts. That will tell you if the converter is working.

Hope that helps.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
You can disconnect the battery at the battery.. that kills everything. However, I have found that a BIG draw on the battery is the antenna booster. Turn that off and you may solve your problem w/o disconnecting the batt.

Another thing I have done is to mistakenly leave a storage light on.
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You didn't mention it so I'll bring it up. You should check the water in your batteries at least monthly. Low water will kill the battery over time.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Dick is right, check the battery fluid, I perform a regular maintenance procedure on my batteries and it has become second nature for me but as Dick says it is important to keep them maintained and up to level.
That is the beauty of a hydrometer, you have to take the tops off to check the cells.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tim denkers

I try to remember to unhook it between trips and during the weekend or week stay.
Tim,
I have to ask because I am easily confused. I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say you unhook it during the weekend or week stay. If you are staying in it with the battery unhooked it won't charge. Did I miss something in my interpretation? Jim
Old 08-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I caught the same thing Jim C! With the battery/ies unhooked while you are staying in the unit for a weekend or a week at a time, you must have it/them connected for them to recharge. Beside that a lot of the items in the unit run off the battery or 12 volt system. They must be hooked up. IF you are leaving it in a storage facility or at your S&B you can keep it plugged in so the converter keeps that battery/ies charged BUT you must check that fluid in the battery/ies as Dick said at least monthly to make sure the battery/ies don't go dry and die!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:27 AM   #9
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
The first thing I would do take the battery to a Garage,Battery Store,Auto Parts and have the battery tested to be sure you have a GOOD Battery.When my unit was delivered for the first season I had issues like yours every time I checked water low. Well it was a bad battery was replaced by the dealer that battery lasted with care 6 Seasons
Just in the last few Months my Cousin purchased a new Interstate for his car dead in three Days My top of the line Gold Duralast in the truck less then a year both defective .So I am saying their are defective battery's of the shelf as the guy at the parts store told me "They just don't make them like they use to"
So again I would be sure that you have a good battery before you start looking for Amp Draw

kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:06 AM   #10
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GreatWhite

You can disconnect the battery at the battery.. that kills everything. However, I have found that a BIG draw on the battery is the antenna booster. Turn that off and you may solve your problem w/o disconnecting the batt.

Another thing I have done is to mistakenly leave a storage light on.
I can't add anything to this thread as you are getting great advice. I just want to thank GreatWhite for his comment I bolded. We are in Mo. and now I can't wait to get back to the Monty to see if that is my phantom amp draw I've been looking for, for many months now, since we installed solar.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:33 AM   #11
Tim denkers
Established Member

M.O.C. #12401
Here's to answer a few of the pending questions.
I was told by the guy I bought my first pull behind unit that one your battery if fully charged when your one shore power you should unhook it. Trying to continue to charge the battery could damage it??? And this is why I said I unhook it only after a full charge. What is perplexing is in the unit the battery was at full charge and even hooked to shore power I could get the hydraulics for the jack pads to kick in until I received a jump from a fellow camper. I assumed the pump for the front stab. jacks ran off the battery power. Oh one other thing the battery is brand new and used the end of last season only twice.
Tim denkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:07 AM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I'm not sure I understand this correctly, are you saying you use the display in the camper to decide whether the battery is fully charged?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:15 AM   #13
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Tim, Based on the age of your unit I'm pretty sure your converter has a smart charger. I can only speak what works for me and I'm on my second battery on a 2006 model. Only time I disconnect my battery is when it is in storage. I'd leave the battery hooked up when using the unit and let the smart charger do what it is suppose to do. You will need to check the battery periodically for water level. Even when hooked to shore power there is enough parasitic drain on the battery to weaken it if not in recharge mode. I'd at least try this and see how it works for you. Jim
Old 08-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
As a point of clarafication... I know that the slides definitely go in and out with much more power with the electrical connected vs battery power only. But do the landing gear operate in the same mode? I have a 2007 3400RL.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #15
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Good to see you back on the forum Dave. Hope your health is doing better. It seems like I notice a difference when extending the legs and still on shore power. No difference when retracting but then that operation is already assisted by the weight of the rig. Jim