Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2005, 03:09 PM   #1
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Satellite Dishes

Shari wants to get a satellite dish, probably early next year, as we already have DirecTV at home. Of course, we're not going to do this halfway, she wants one to mount on the roof of the Monty and that can acquire the satellite(s) automatically. Has anyone had experience with both the dome type and the non-dome(not covered) versions? The domes seem much cleaner and less likely to be damaged by wind, etc. On the other hand, dirt and snow on the plastic some may limit the reception (or not!). Any thoughts?

Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 05:21 PM   #2
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
We have the kingdome and so far it has worked like a charm. We haven't done any travelling other than Western Washington, so haven't experienced availability in other states. If I remember correctly when we do head East that we just call them and give the zip code and they tell us what settings to key in. We have DirecTV.
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:06 AM   #3
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
With dome systems you get half a dish. So in marginal areas "Southern Canada Northern Mexico" you will have difficulty getting a signal. With an open system you get a full sized dish. We have a crank up with the "magic" satellite finder works very well. With any roof mount you need a portable dish for those parks with trees.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:23 AM   #4
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We also have the automatic satellite dish from Campers World. I had it installed the day we brought home the new Montana in january. We have used it for two months in Florida and a trip back to Kansas. It works great. We also have direct Tv, and use one of the receivers from our bedroom in the Montana when were on the road. I added the local stations to our subscription as sometimes we couldn't get ABC
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:43 PM   #5
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the info. I am going to add an automatic dish but will need more info.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 06:16 AM   #6
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Have used various satellite TVs over the years and really like our present setup. We have Star Choice (Canadian TV) which allows us to get TV in Mexico by using a 75 cm dish. We have it mounted on a surveyor's tripod. Set up is fast and with a five gal bucket full of water as weight, it has never blown over. A lot cheaper than a dome and with enough cable, you can get the dish out from under the trees to get reception like we are doing in our current camping spot. Go to Global Communications: www.global_cm.net for info. We love it!
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 02:20 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Those automatic Domes are really nice so are the manual ones they make finding the satellite easy I would really like to have one... However..I am not going to spend that kind of money on something I can only use some of the time. I have the dish on a tripod and 100 feet of RG -6 should I need it.It always works..everywhere.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 01:42 AM   #8
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
We have a Weingard signal seeking satellite on our roof and Direct TV. We've only had a couple instances where trees interfered with reception. When asking for a site, we mention we have a roof mounted satellite and quite few parks try to accomodate us. Also, our dish worked well on Prince Edward Island and in Halifax last year.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote