Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2019, 07:52 AM   #1
Harrisden54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23419
Air bags or air ride pin box

I have a 19 High Country 384BR I'm towing with a 19 F350 King Ranch, Crew Cab, 4WD, Long Bed, FX4, 6.7., Curt 16K hitch. I am noticing quite a bit more vertical chucking when going over uneven bridge approaches than with the old truck, a 2005 F350 Lariat, Crew Cab, 2WD, long bed, 6.0, with rear air bags and a Reese 16K hitch. The nose is a little higher on the new truck but the trailer is still pretty darn level.
I am considering either an air ride pin box or air bags for the truck.
Any suggestions on the best way to improve the ride will be appreciated.

Harrisden54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:08 PM   #2
Jeffrey
Established Member

M.O.C. #22834
In my opinion I would suggest the air ride pin box, the pin box would help on that much weight bouncing straight through your truck because your truck is rather ridged. The air bags may be cheaper but I don't think that will help with chucking.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:19 AM   #3
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
My trailer doesn't chuck at all and I have the solid pin box. I do however have air bags to help with bottoming out the truck. I have the B&W hitch. very solid fit.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:12 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
This is hard question for us to answer since very few of us has had both. Everybody thinks their baby is the most beautiful in the world. We like what we have. That’s why we bought it.

I have a Trailair pinbox and like it. It’s well built a good design and works fine. I’m sure others work just as well.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:24 PM   #5
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I have truck air-bags and the Hensley TS-3 hitch on the truck. I have zero chucking. I do get a bounce if I travel over a rough transition and you will not totally do away with that no matter what you install. I would think the air-ride pin box would do much more for you than the truck air-bags.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:59 AM   #6
Harrisden54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23419
This is a tough decision since I'm getting recommendations for each option. I called e-trailer and they recommended the truck air bags as well as the local Montana dealer. Since my old truck had the air bags and I didn't notice the chucking, I'm leaning that way. Another option would be the air ride pin box and the Timbren air cushions for the rear leafs.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:31 AM   #7
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Just an FYI, if you upgrade to an air pin box... you also add about a 100 pounds onto your rear truck axle when hooked up. May not be an issue... Just to be aware of it.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:09 AM   #8
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Our setup chucked quite a bit, so much so that when we came upon bridge transition, we would grit our teeth waiting for it. Upgraded to a Reese 5th Airborne pinbox and all of the chucking was gone. I can see the trailer movement in the rear view mirror, and it doesn't transfer to the tow vehicle. Wouldn't tow without it.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:42 PM   #9
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
I have airbags on the truck and have an onboard air system so I can change the pressure in the bags as road conditions change. However, still hate the bridge expansion joints, so we bought the TrailAir pin box and within a couple of miles from the install place, we knew we had made the correct decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190325_080741448-600x600.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	3361  
Golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:32 PM   #10
McIver
Gone Traveling

M.O.C. #12840
Looked these up and there must be something I don’t understand. The max for these hitches is 21K lbs. Aren’t we all over that weight. Also the hitch max wt is around 4200lbs.
McIver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:57 PM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
It’s the weight of the trailer not the truck and camper.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:52 PM   #12
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
They call them firestones because it is like riding on stones. I would only use bags for leveling, not ride improvement. Not sure how your hitch is designed but I would look at that and the pin box first.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:50 AM   #13
Harrisden54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23419
Thanks for all the posts and information. I think I am going to order an air ride pin box and install that and see what happens. My truck really doesn't need leveling as the rear end is still riding higher than the front with the trailer attached. The payload for the truck is rated at about 4,400lbs and my pin weight is a little less than 2,500lbs. I think the air ride pin box will cushion the ride for the trailer and truck.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:35 AM   #14
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrisden54 View Post
Thanks for all the posts and information. I think I am going to order an air ride pin box and install that and see what happens. My truck really doesn't need leveling as the rear end is still riding higher than the front with the trailer attached. The payload for the truck is rated at about 4,400lbs and my pin weight is a little less than 2,500lbs. I think the air ride pin box will cushion the ride for the trailer and truck.
Good choice. You will notice the difference immediately!
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:47 PM   #15
SteveandTerri
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfmedik View Post
I have airbags on the truck and have an onboard air system so I can change the pressure in the bags as road conditions change. However, still hate the bridge expansion joints, so we bought the TrailAir pin box and within a couple of miles from the install place, we knew we had made the correct decision.
I just installed the same setup. The wife and I are planning to go on cross-country trips and wanted to protect the TV and 5th Wheel from rough roads. I installed Hellwig Big Wig Air Bags and operate them at about 30 psig. They have a large diameter so they don't need to be inflated to as high a pressure as the Firestones. At rest, 30 psig puts the rear suspension in the middle of its travel range. The bags reduce the potential of the suspension bottoming out when hitting sharp bumps. I went with the TrailAir Pin Box to reduce shock from being transmitted to the 5th Wheel nose/structure. Fingers crossed!
SteveandTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:01 PM   #16
rayegelhoff1
Established Member

M.O.C. #23169
air bags or air ride pin box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrisden54 View Post
I have a 19 High Country 384BR I'm towing with a 19 F350 King Ranch, Crew Cab, 4WD, Long Bed, FX4, 6.7., Curt 16K hitch. I am noticing quite a bit more vertical chucking when going over uneven bridge approaches than with the old truck, a 2005 F350 Lariat, Crew Cab, 2WD, long bed, 6.0, with rear air bags and a Reese 16K hitch. The nose is a little higher on the new truck but the trailer is still pretty darn level.
I am considering either an air ride pin box or air bags for the truck.
Any suggestions on the best way to improve the ride will be appreciated.
You might want to add shocks to your high country, most chucking comes from the trailer axles and the equalizers.
Ray/ 16 305rl with added shocks, airborne hitch pin, dexter equalizers and wet bolts, 2010 ram 3500 4wd crew cab laramie.
rayegelhoff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 03:04 PM   #17
KJT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23367
After reading about this issue a couple times since we joined the club , I wonder after hauling a 44 ft. Horse trailer in 06 for the NCHA world championships 70 thousand miles and the trailer had air ride axles, didn't have any chucking problems with it with air bags on the Ram dually.
Wondering if air axles on the Montana's might be the way to go.
KJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 03:34 PM   #18
w5352
Established Member

M.O.C. #21463
Send a message via AIM to w5352
I would like to install a TRAILAIR on my 2018 3791RD....How do you determine the model that will fit?
w5352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 03:46 PM   #19
hosssmith
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14197
Air Ride Goose Neck

I am aware that most of you use some sort of fifth wheel instead of a ball so this reply may have no value for you. I use the 2 7/8" ball in a B&W hitch so the floor of my bed is flat and can be used for other things. I drive a Shivalay one ton SRW all the time account the Montana was too heavy for my 3/4 ton Shivalay. The one ton rides well enough when I lower the tire air pressure from the sidewall listed maximum but I do air them to the max when loaded.

My 2015 Montana has a Goose Box account that was the only goose neck hitch Montana would warranty when I bought it. The air bag bottomed out and banged everything pretty hard when I had it aired to the stated maximum air pressure. As usual with everything I deal with I had to find the work around to make it successful which in this case was to increase the air pressure about 10 psi. According to the Scales neither the hitch nor the pick up was overweight the bag was just under pressured. If you have an issue with work arounds and exceeding or ignoring stated limits then this fix would not work for you. It has worked just fine for me.

The air bag's plumbing came with the expected leak and after I bubble checked and located that and fixed it the system has worked very well with no additional attention required other than to air it up as needed to maintain it's required air pressure. There is nearly no chucking with this system and compared to the test drive with the original hitch on a borrowed one ton with a fifth wheel there is no chucking at all. My only complaint with the current system is one that would be pretty difficult to fix and that is the bed is not far enough from the bottom of the trailer.

I have not measured the height of the RV when ready to roll but it is probably all of 13'6" so adding length to the hitch is not feasible. I and everyone watching don't think it will back through the 14' high door when I am backing it into the barn. So far it has cleared every time. Lowering the pick up would be a challenge and one which I have determined not to undertake. Therefore I must be very cautious when entering or exiting some driveways and so far contact has been very minimal and no damage has occurred. Yet. If anyone has a good workable suggestion to ease this problem I am very interested in hearing it.
hosssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:53 PM   #20
Harrisden54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23419
There should be a sticker on the OEM pinbox giving the model number. Then you just buy an air ride pin box that replaces that model. All of the pin boxes on etrailer show the ones that will replace the OEM one.