Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Captain...5/1/95 - 7/3/12

Today we had to say goodbye at 17 years, 2 months and 2 days.

Captain is my 16 year old Lab who was my drug dog/partner when I was with the Sheriff's Department.

He has had his ups and downs over his life.

At two days old, his momma tried to kill him. He was the thirteenth of the litter and she was tired. She took out one of his eyes and put some holes in his head. He survived.

Once he got into some Meth on a construction site when I wasn't aware (we were off the job). With doggy Narcane he survived.

One day when at home, he decided that he would accompany a five year old girl home - previously he never left the yard. The girl was lost. After getting hit by a car and propelled 15 feet, he dusted himself off and followed the girl to her home where her parents were in hysterics. They called me (my number is on one of his dog tags) and told me that he was hurt but that he had brought their little girl home. He survived.

Once, when on the job, I was confronted with an armed DUI. He jumped out of the cruiser and placed himself in between us. He was aggressive - something I had not seen in him before (he was never a protection dog, just a drug and PR dog). He survived.

He was dognapped from our residence. He was gone for two whole weeks. He returned home limping, hungry and exhausted. We later determined that he had been taken to Carson City, NV, about 20 miles from home. He survived.

Once while I was being shot at when I was underneath a cruiser, he disobeyed a command to halt and went charging up the hill to pursue the shooter. He survived.

Today, at 16 years, 2 months, he can barely get up the steps. I will build a ramp. I hope he will survive.

I'm afraid he is checking out...

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
They are truely part of our families. We wish him well.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I find it hard to find words, we just recently lost our Miss Tilly and her half-brother has days that I don't think he will make it much longer either.

Your Captain has seen some horrors, and obviously a TON Of love and affection from you. He has earned all of our thanks and awe at his wonderous life and achievements.

I am sure the ramp will be a great thing for Captain, and I know you will know when he is ready to make his next trip. My hope for you is that the decision will be easy to make, as you love Captain and you want the best for him.

Good luck with the ramp, bless Captain and you.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
A wonderful story about about a wonderful animal. Thanks Captain!!
Yamaha_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I am glad you had so many years of companionship with your partner. It is painful to watch the pain of one we care deeply about. Captain sounds like a dog with a big heart. It is appropriate to serve those who serve us.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
We lost our Yellow Lab Rosie last Sept.she was 11 years 9 months,but we still have her sister Maggie with us,she'll be 13 years on Dec 24th.
It's so hard to loose our wonderful companions.I have to use a ramp for Maggie,she has a hard time getting up and down and struggles every time. I know the time is coming near and it's so hard to let them go,but with love in our hearts we'll know when that time arrives.
Our hearts go out to you both,we'll pray for your wonderful Captain with all our hearts!
Jack and Terry
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:12 PM   #7
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
WOW. Captain is one dedicated Lab. No wonder you would do all you could for him.
We have had two yellow labs so I can understand people who haven't had them referring to them as "dogs."
They are certain in their minds that they are NOT dogs; they are hairy little people. They sometimes act like dogs just to get some attention and to fool others, but those who feed them and take care of them know that they are just another member of the family, and better behaved than some other members!
It's tough to say goodbye to them, but they leave a whole lot of great memories.
Give Captain a treat for us.
Larry & April
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:51 AM   #8
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Talking about a man's best friend. You could not have had a better friend.
rosetta
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:50 AM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Michael, A touching story, to say the least. It just goes to show that a dogs love for its master is indeed "special". We have had a dog in our family since we married in 1969 and will always have one. Villa is our first Lab and what a very special breed they are. Ours has not had the adversity that your Captain has had but she is still my best friend. Always there and ready to please. I hope Captain remains comfortable in his senior years.....Give him a big hug from both of us.

Phil & Cathy
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #10
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Thanks everyone. The post was a way for me to say good-bye and come to the realization that his days are numbered. But, then again, he may just amaze the heck out of me and hang around for another year. Who knows?
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:10 PM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Saw an old gentleman with a yellow lab that had built a ramp for the lab to get in and out of his TT and truck. One amazing dog you have there. Their love for their master is unconditional.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Sorry. Very very sorry.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #13
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
Looks like he made that 'another year!!' A wonderful spirit in a wonderful animal. That spirit will be with you forever. We are keeping you in our thoughts.
Yamaha_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #14
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Praying for you!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #15
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Michael - no words can help, but we are so sorry. What a great companion, and I am so glad you got to be with Captain and share that extra year together.

We are praying for you.

Greg and Kris - (and Sophie and Carmen)

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #16
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
There must be a god (dog)!

i don't usually hug people unles i have to, but dogs rule and give him a long for and from us

Diane and mikey
thekennys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:17 PM   #17
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Michael and Kat,
What a wonderful dog friend you have/had! He shared his life with you. The good and the bad. But I'm certain there is no amount of money that could compensate you for him. He is and always will be a major part of your life. Both Mary Kay and I are happy that you got to spend all those wondrous years with him. We are sad that that part of your lives together is now over. But think of all those wonderful memories you will have forever! Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:34 AM   #18
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
What a beautiful pup he was!
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:09 AM   #19
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Sorry for your loss. He has given you memories forever!!

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:25 AM   #20
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Michael and Kat, so sorry for your loss...
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote