Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2005, 05:59 PM   #1
Montana_3598
Established Member

M.O.C. #3598
Looking for Campground near Grand Canyon

My wife and I will be heading west from Michigan the last week of September into the first couple weeks of October towards the Grand Canyon, and are looking for a really good place to stay, and fairly easy to find. Any suggestions from those that have made the trek?

Montana_3598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 01:39 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We stayed at a place called Grand Canyon RV park where the train leaves from to take you on the tour. Wouldn't recommend it though, especially if it rains. Red Mud.
If we did the trip again, we would stay right at the park at the Canyon. Inside the canyon grounds. Sorry I am not too clear but that was about 4 yrs ago and I have already burned those brain cells out.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 06:43 AM   #3
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Hi we stayed in Williams right outside S. rim. It was a KOA and pretty nice. New owners tring to make a great park and well on their way. It was February and we stayed in 6 in of snow. Left Maine to get away from all that stuff. Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 06:45 AM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I'm pretty sure you are talking about the South Rim which is where most people visit the Grand Canyon, but I will mention anyway that we just stayed at the Kaibab Camper Village RV Park in Jacobs Lake, AZ from where we visited the North Rim.
http://dwilliamson.com/GrandCanyon/Page.html

It was a very nice forested campground. If you ever have opportunity, you should visit the North Rim which, in my opinion, is the best way to view the Grand Canyon -- and away from most of the crowds.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 06:16 PM   #5
Montana_3598
Established Member

M.O.C. #3598
Thanks for the heads up on everything so far! I'm not decided yet on south or north rim, but my wife is somewhat ambulatory challenged (she doesn't walk far well) so I'm thinking even tho more crowds, the south rim may be better for us.

I had considered the KOA in Williams (I've rarely had a bad stay in a KOA, they're usually pretty predictable) but always like to consider alternatives.

Not to go too far off topic, but one of the best campgrounds I've enjoyed the most was the KOA Mount Rushmore - like 5 minutes from the monument. Worth trekking up the grades with the rig for sure, just don't bother with the awning. PM me if you want more info on that one...

Thanks!
Montana_3598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:45 AM   #6
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Jeff and Sandy, I'm not trying to persuade you, but just to report: There are a couple of fine drives one can make along the North Rim where one can get out, and with very little walking, can see some fine views. These roads are not crowded and there are good pull-outs and viewing points. We had an exceptionally fine meal (without reservations) at the Lodge--I mean top notch food and service. The only problem there is that there is a good bit of walking to get from the parking lot down to the lodge, but I think one would find the same situation at the Lodge on the South Rim.

The greatest problem with the North Rim is that, unless you are visiting Zion, Bryce, etc. and coming from the north, it may require too much driving to reach.

The Kaibab plateau is forested with many pleasant meadows, entirely different in that respect from the geography of the South Rim. There are campgrounds in the park, but we made our plans too late to even try them, we stayed at a park near the highway. It required a pretty long drive getting down to the rim, but it put us on our way when we left.

All this in the interest of giving more of the picture, based on our recent experience (which did NOT include a visit to the South Rim, so we are making no recent comparisions).

Edit: I just realized that the North Rim closes sometime in the Fall... I do not remember the date, but that would certainly make the decision easy for anyone traveling later than that date.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote