Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2005, 03:17 PM   #1
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Lubbock Texas

What is there to do and where to stay in Lubbock? We are thinking of a winter trip and this is a possibility. What do ya'll think?

trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:34 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Seasonal weather averages - http://www.wunderground.com/NORMS/Di...=none&IATA=LBB

How about coming on down a little farther to the Rio Grande Valley? There will be a bunch of us in that area and Carol/CountryGuy is arranging monthly lunch get togethers.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 04:34 PM   #3
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Try Del Rio (half way between El Paso & Brownsville) on border.
Lonesome Dove RV Ranch ($225.00) mo. Large sites, privacy fences, patios w/picnic table, old cowboy town theme. We sure do like it. Del Rio about
40,000 and growing (they have an airport now). Lake Amistad and Judge Roy Bean's bar to just name a few. We winter there from Oct. thru Mar.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 05:33 PM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
truckdoc

Depends on how warm you wanna be??? Our experience is that even 50 to 100 miles north of the Rio Grande it can be a bit chilly in January and February.

It can be chilly and damp in January and February in the Rio Grande, but from what we have seen in our 2 experiences there, it does not last more than 10 days or so, and then winter is over and pool weather is upon you!

Have not tried Arizona, or California yet, did do Florida, Texas suits us better (a personal choice). Might try Del Rio sometime, syplace, that sounds very nice tooooooo!

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 06:12 PM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
There's nothing warm about Lubbock in the winter. You need to go much farther south. Not much to do there either. Go to the Valley. Maybe we'll show up there, too.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 03:03 AM   #6
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Keep me posted Steve. Not looking to winter rather a mini vacation, make a long weekend of it. I would like to meet some of the MOC crew. A luncheon sounds real good.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 10:23 AM   #7
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Last October I stayed at Camelot Village RV & MHP (806-792-6477), which was pretty nice, in a quiet residential area located near Loop 289. I previously stayed at the KOA - narrow, short pull-thrus and location is way out of town. I haven't been there, but Lubbock RV Park looks pretty nice. It might be noisy as it's just off the Interstate. Check out www.gocampingamerica.com/texas.

Hey, when will everyone be there? I'll probably pass through for a few days in October again to visit my Mom. Lubbock is my birthplace and I lived there till I was the ripe old age of 5!

Sharon
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 03:42 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
CountryGuy, do you have a schedule for the get together lunches?

Trukdoc, here's the list I have of those planning to be in South Texas within easy reach of each other. This is probably just a partial list. There's a thread on this out there somewhere.

Bentsen Palm Village, Mission, TX, for Jan/Feb 2006
us - site 308, 1/5-3/5
carol and al, countryguy - 322, 3 mos.
john and donna, ontmont - 522, 1/7-4/7
john and marge, jlboz60 - 415, 1/5-4/5
Ormee and Ginette, ormee and ginette - 217, 12/1-4/1

Adobe Wells, Mc Allen
Bill & Ann -

Trade Winds?
Sharron & Bill (Contau Lake)

Restful Valley - Mission
Al and Sylvia, ve7dhe - 186, end oct until

Blue Bonnet - where?
fae and gene, faeb and genb - mid-dec to mid-mar

contau lake - 3 to 4 months, Mission, unsure park
Old 07-31-2005, 04:03 PM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
This will be found under Rio Grande local chapter threads, we have our own little area.

Tenative plan was to meet the 3rd Thursday of each month starting November?? to April?? This will depend on someone who is in the area starting a thread and suggesting a place to hold the meeting.

Last winter we did 2 meets, one in February, with well over 30 in attendence. It was arranged by Bill and Anne, we had a late lunch at Mr. Gati (spelling???) a all you can eat pizza place. We had a small but cozy seperate room and I played at MC in between the coughing.

The other was at Golden Coral, again, later in the afternoon, in March, much smaller gathering, but still tons of fun. We went back to the Stevens rig for a few hours afterward and just chatted.

When we get closer to winter (brrrrrr) we hope that someone who is in the Valley will step up to the plate and find a place (it could be a meeting room in a campground, or a restaurant) and reserve a room, this is a common occurance in the area, lots of groups meet this way, and the restaurants are used to having someone come in and ask. Don't wait till the last minute during January or February! They will all be booked!

We hope this will be a laid back, fun thing to do if you happen to be in the Valley on the 3rd Thursday of the winter months. This is not gonna be a rally, just a bunch of folks that own Montanas and enjoy being together getting together and having a laugh or two.

As you pointed out, we hope to be in the Valley from about January 1 to April 1. God willing and the creek don't rise. That said, someone who is there in December should try to reserve for January.

Carol
Old 07-31-2005, 04:44 PM   #10
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
Some friends from here winter in Uvalde, TX. It is SW of San Antonio and close to lots of touristy stuff. We flew down last winter for a week and we didnt have enough time. Of course we put 1300 miles on the rental car but saw a lot of country in the area. We toured from Alamo Village to LBJ ranch and over to Corpus before heading back. I really was impressed with San Antonio and will likely look for somewhere near there when I want to escape the cold for a bit. I have been to Lubbock in winter and it does get pretty cool there.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:29 AM   #11
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
I have a grandson who went to College in Lubbock. He moved from Houston and WHAT A SHOCK!!!
The first cold spell and he called home to mom (send me warm clothes). Lubbock can be the coldest or the hottest place on earth. There was a story going around that the only thing that broke the wind between Lubbock and the rest of the world was a barbed wire fence and most of the time it was down.

dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 01:21 PM   #12
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Oh MY!!

Cute story dannyl

I just checked the map for Lubbock, yowser, I did not realize just how far north it is. GULP!

Now, we each have our likes, dislikes, what we can deal with and what we cannot. For us, even San Antonio is not far south enough, if we are gonna stay for a while, staying for a while to escape the cold Michigan weather.

Not to offend anyone, or your choices of where you go, but our feeling is, IF we can get away, we are gonna go where it is warm. After spending the $$ and the time to get to San Antonio, or Lubbock, we are gonna spend a bit more and go for the warmth! (And, of course, the Mexican food! HA HA)

Have not been to Lubbock, but have been to San Antonio a couple of times, gotta say that is ONE FAB TOWN!!! We really have enjoyed it when we visited. But, I would prefer to be a bit warmer and just keep on driving till we hit the Rio Grande.

Course, if you all drive that weeeeee bit further, it is gonna be even harder for us to get a campsite!
Old 08-02-2005, 08:45 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We spent January, 2004, in Austin and really enjoyed the area. There were a couple of furnace-running days and one night below freezing but otherwise the weather was very nice. On the cool side, maybe 60's for the high but pretty nice nonetheless. From there you can also visit Fredericksburg (worth a week or two by itself), including the Admiral Nimitz Museum of the Pacific War, Luckenbach, TX, and all the other things to see in that area. Bastrop is a nice, quaint little town worth a visit. Gee, there are many things right in and around Austin. San Antonio is just an hour or so south, within easy reach for day trips. I could go on and on. We really enjoyed that area in January. We were at the Austin Lone Star.