Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2019, 10:14 AM   #1
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Replacing carpet with vinyl flooring in Montana 5er

I know we're getting ahead of ourselves, but we definitely have "replace the carpet" on our to-do list. I'm reading a lot of good stuff about the Aurora vinyl planking and we are thinking of going with that.

Have any of you tackled this project? I'm pretty sure that our Montana with its through the frame slide-outs has sliders, not rollers.

Did you have to jack the slide up to get the vinyl flooring installed, or could you partially open the slide-out and get the carpet out and the vinyl flooring onto the main floor that way? I was also debating whether to replace the carpet in the slide-out with carpet again or if there were any significant issues in putting the vinyl planking in the slide-out too.

Thank you.

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:16 PM   #2
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
I have installed the strip floor, material from Home Depot. I have a 2006 3400RL. The two slides (desk & dining table) drop even with the rest of the floor. I raised the carpeting 'flap' that covers the gap. Installed right to the edge where the slide meets the floor. I did not remove the carpeting in the slide. I adjusted the kitchen slide, lowered the outside wall side which allowed for the slide to raise enough to place the flooring behind the island. I had to slide the individual strips under the slide as the slide does not rise much at all.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:04 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We also didn't remove the carpet in the slide. We installed commercial grade vinyl tile right up to the edge of the slide. 5 years of full timing after that and still in great shape when we traded it in.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:42 AM   #4
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Self stick or glue down?
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:38 AM   #5
jking
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20361
I replaced the crappy carpet in the living room with “Lifeproof” plank flooring and it is free floating except I put a couple screws in the outside plank on each side to prevent movement. Looks great and so far zero problems. Haven’t done anything to the carpet on slides yet.
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 ctd. 4x4 srw
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:50 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampachet View Post
Self stick or glue down?
We glued it down.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 04:31 PM   #7
shoe
Established Member

M.O.C. #30477
Replacing all carpeting

Going to definitely do this this spring. My question is, what did some of you do with the carpeting that goes up the wall a few inches, like around the stairs? Over the rectangle 'tunnel' between dresser and wall?

I figured, I do the main replacement and then sort of 'wing it', possibly planning some hard maple to 1/4" and cover those parts. The wife doesn't like the term 'wing it.' Not sure why....
shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 06:48 AM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Here's my project. Maybe it will help you out. It's kind of long winded, but I do have photos posted of the finished results at the end.

Enjoy: Click here.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote