Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2011, 09:20 AM   #1
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Oval Office Lock-Out

I must be following the Prez around. The dead-bolt on our 3075 is getting cantankerous. The DW's key will open it sometimes and my key takes a little persuasion to work.

Has anyone replaced the Trimark style dead-bolt with anthing else (like keyless entry, bump proof locks, etc)?

I am thinking of getting a new Trimark lock and have it rekeyed to a type that can't be picked, but would really like to look at keyless.

lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Brad,
There have been others that have been locked in or out of their trailer because of the lock failure. I recommend replacing or upgrading soonest.
Here is a picture of the outside of the lock to make sure we are talking about the same one.

Here are two pictures of the lock mechanism.

As you can see not much to it and easy to fail when heavily used.
I hope this helps.

If you are not aware I was told that there were about 14 different key sets for these locks. So your idea to get new locks is not a bad idea. But access through the storage doors is easy if they want in.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I think the locks are getting cheaper and cheaper. I have experienced the same thing on all of the new locks on our 3750. I am wondering if just a quick brush with some emery cloth to the key edges would help since the key edges are definitely acute. I remember a thread in the past that showed some very pricey oval shaped recessed latches that I have tried to find since I am again interested in them. Anyone remember what they were???
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:32 AM   #4
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
John,
Yes. That is the lock I am talking about. I am thinking that I will order a replacement lock-set, then take it to a locksmith to be rekeyed. I just replaced all my 751 cam-locks with tubular locks and I am thinking of doing the same with the entry door.

I am wondering how/if a tubular lock would work in this case.

Bingo,
I took our previous 2955 into my dealer for service several years ago. The service manager told me to just unlock the deadbolt because he had a key that would fit the other lock. So, only 14 keysets That does not surprise me at all.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:41 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
The latch is keyed for a Master key, the dead bolt has about 14 different key sets.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:02 AM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If you wont a lock that CAN NOT be picked by anybody, period there is only one the Medico Lock. At one time they offered $10000 to any body who pick one. they never had a taker. There are no master keys for them, none! If you need a key your name is on record, they will make you one. What makes them so special is, all other locks the tumblers are straight, on these the tumblers are machined on compound angles making it nearly impossible to get them all lined up correctly to pick the lock. You would have a better chance of picking the numbers to win the lottery twice in a row. They are the locks that guard the White House.
2 problems I don't know how you would install a dead bolt on a camper door and price a padlock is over $100.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:26 AM   #7
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lasater

I just replaced all my 751 cam-locks with tubular locks and I am thinking of doing the same with the entry door.
That's a great idea. Can I ask what kind you used and where you found them?

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:55 AM   #8
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Just remember the harder you make it to break in, the more damage they will do. Our Montana got broke into when it was 2 months old. (bill was $6,200). They just broke the window in the door and reached in and unlocked the door. They did 8 others RV's the same way.

I put a alarm system on the Monty, which will go off when any door or the steps are opened. I did the steps, figuring they would have to put the steps down to be able to reach in and unlock the door. I am hoping they will put the steps down first before the break the window. The alarm has been set off once in storage, since I installed the alarm, no damage, and nothing taken. They either put the setups down, or they open one of the LP doors, since everything else is locked.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:18 AM   #9
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
drknapp,

This place had a booth at Quartzsite this January. I got their card then and ordered later.

http://www.iss4locks.com/
Old 03-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #10
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
Thanks! I'm going to order some.