Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Mirrored Closet Doors Question

OK, has anyone removed the mirrored glass closet doors in bedroom? I absolutely hate them and I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to remove the glass and put a new look in the bedroom. If it's impossible I may opt for frosting the glass or something....just can't stand them...I know they make the room more spacious looking ..... who are they really fooling????? All ideas welcomed.....

Thanks a million.....

Betty

pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Someone on the forum did frost the doors and posted pictures. They looked impressively good, but I can't remember who posted it. If you know how to use the search feature, maybe they can be tracked down. I will give it a shot and see if I can find the post.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Here is the one I remembered:
http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/Redrover98/
Pics are near the bottom of the page.
I am sure there have been others, but this will give you an idea anyway.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
countrylady
Established Member

M.O.C. #9820
Send a message via Yahoo to countrylady
I've got the same feeling about those mirrors...a bit outdated, aren't they? I think I saw on another forum where the mirrored doors were removed and replaced with curtains. Made it a bit easier to maneuver around that side of the bed.

I've been contemplating the idea of frosting the mirrors with some kind of design, but we don't even have our 5er yet, so I've got some time LOL! But I'll come up with something, or else "borrow" someone else's idea!!
countrylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Ok, so I think I may have the solution to my Mirror dilemna....I did a google search that I think I will try in the spring.

Cover the mirrored closed doors with fabric...like wallpapering....you soak fabric in liquid starch and apply to the mirror like you would apply wallpaper. The best part is you can coordinate with your bedding by using sheets for the wallpaper that match your bedding! When your tired of it you can easily remove the "mirror paper" by spraying with water in a spray bottle to moisten and the fabric will come off easily. Now this is something I am looking forward to trying!

The only other thing I could think of was to have my DH remove the mirrors and replace with some kind of a wood finish...not sure....how that would have worked. The good part about this is that it doesn't add any significant weight.

I will let you know how this works out and if it's successful will share with photo's! Thank you for your input appreciate it as alway, the MOC rules!

Betty
Old 11-01-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
countrylady
Established Member

M.O.C. #9820
sounds like a good concept, but if it comes off easily by moistening with a spray bottle of water, will it come loose in damp, humid weather? Curious to see how it works for you.
I had thought about even using just plain ol' wallpaper, but didn't know how it would stick to the mirrored surface unless you roughened it up a bit.
The other alternative, which I am also considering, is to just hang a lightweight curtain over the mirrors, so that you still have the stability of the doors to keep everything in its place in the closet.

Of course, we don't even have our 5er yet...these are just ideas I'm storing in my head for when we GET it LOL

Anyway, looking forward to hearing about AND seeing the results of your project! Good luck
Old 11-01-2009, 04:01 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
How about that spray can stuff that they sell at hobby or craft stores to make foney stain gless windows. some blue tape with a razor and cut a desine then spray differant colors in the areas then pull off the tape it should look prity.
sorry I had to get the address of this place that I bought from to do a wall in my home. this might help with some ideas.

http://www.thefind.com/crafts/info-e...ransfer-murals
Old 11-02-2009, 02:47 AM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Cheryl got these plastic sheets - electrostatic - from LTD Commodities a couple years ago. She loves them. I believe they come on a 18 inch rolls. $4/roll at the time. She thinks she bought 2-3 rolls.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:30 AM   #9
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
OK, now I really like the electrostatic thingy...that is really nice...I will have to look into that as well. And it's way easier to apply than dripping starched fabric...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Countrylady...to remove the fabric wallpaper...you really have to soak the fabris to get it dripping wet....at least that's the way I saw it done on an HGTV episode. Once the starch dries it's really stiff....I think it would take more than humidity to get it loose enough to remove it.

Thanks all for your ideas......

Betty
Old 11-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Also found this...

http://www.decorativefilm.com/

And you can do a search for "opaque window film" or just "window film".
Old 11-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Neat stuff dsprik thanks for the site.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Yes it is, but a little pricey if you look at the per foot prices. Still, a great option for those MOCers - and there seems to be quite a few - that really do not like that plain mirror closet door.

Didn't check the application process, but I believe it is easy to remove, if warranted. Some of those films are rather spectacular...
Old 11-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #13
countrylady
Established Member

M.O.C. #9820
I did several google searches for the window film...you can find it on Amazon, Target, Lowes and Home Depot. From my quick search, it looks as though Lowes and Home Depot has the best prices. Thanks for the ideas...I think this may be an alternative!