Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #21
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Checked mine out and is same. Turn your vent blower on a watch the inside metal damper open. Just using the microwave doesn't blow hard enough to open it plus it is circulating thru the charcoal filter.
Mike

pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #22
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Keystone is serious about getting us an answer. They weren't aware of this and are looking into it. Got a call today to tell me they were still working on it and would have an answer for me soon.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:19 AM   #23
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Ok got the final answer from Keystone today. They say both the installation and the engineering departments examined the situation and that's the way it's supposed to work. In their opinion we are to leave the metal baffle in place.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #24
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
I do not have the vetical post that Tom's picture shows. That may be what is restricting the metal baffle. Like I said earlier, my vent fan moves (opens) the metal baffle but not (so much) when using the microwave. It still opens but not as much as with the vent blower.
Mike
Old 07-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #25
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Ok got the final answer from Keystone today. They say both the installation and the engineering departments examined the situation and that's the way it's supposed to work. In their opinion we are to leave the metal baffle in place.
Thanks Dick for all your calling....

So how many of us really believe that this metal baffle should stay in there and block the air from coming out?

Now if the center vertical post was not there, then I could see leaving it.

So, how many of you all(except Mike) have the vertical post in the center of the outer flap?
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:48 AM   #26
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
That is just plain craZY I'm not too bright, but I know the air should exit from a blower discharge...
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #27
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

That is just plain craZY I'm not too bright, but I know the air should exit from a blower discharge...
Actually there is a fair amount of air flow, with nothing to compare it to, I can't make a decision on how much more flow could be achieved by removing it. On the other hand if you lose the plastic flap on the outside vent there would be nothing to keep bugs, dirt and rain out of the microwave if the inside baffle is removed. A couple of dust storms we were in last winter would have been a bad situation if the whole thing was open.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #28
ranch560
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12491
Dick, if you are wondering what the difference may be if you remove the flap, it is major. Mho, it just about doubles the cfm output when the fan is running on high. Most appliances similar to this are not designed to operate this way(restricted). And the worry about if the plastic flap could go missing and there is no internal metal flap, bugs will still be able to enter behind the micro, just not through the blower assembly. The plastic exterior flap needs to be part of this and always be there and operating. I am amazed they would give you an answer like that when it is so obvious it is a poor design and they used the wrong cover. If a different exterior vent cover without a center support had been used, this would be a non issue. My last trailer was that way and worked perfect. Someone there (at Keystone) truly does not know what they are talking about. Ozz is in the business and he knows. As a former builder responsible for thousands of living units, I know. My respect level for Keystone just dropped.
ranch560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #29
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
This thing has turned into a big FLAP over nothing. Mine works as advertised with the metal flap inside and the plastic secureable flap on the outside.
Mine has a 5 speed vent fan when on will open both doors. If using the micro not so much since not the same speed.
Mike
Old 07-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #30
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The problem is I can't find a metal vent cover that could eliminate the middle brace, at least not any of the places I normally buy parts or from my google search. The Dometic installation instructions show it being hooked to about a four to six or more inch duct line and then vented thru the side wall of a house.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:35 AM   #31
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Baffles in an exhaust system will slow air flow and collect anything in the stream of flow. If you can see smoke, or grease in the air, we turn the exhaust on to vent the grease or smoke. When the airflow containing the containment slows when hitting or being diverted by a baffle, the containment: Grease particles, slow and accumulate on the baffle. Look in a commercial kitchen, there will be a series of baffles, aluminum or stainless steel, the discharge air from the fryers and flat-top is sucked up into the baffles, the air is slowed and diverted around them, the grease is collected there, the air continues up and out the air-stream.
Like I said, craZY to put a baffle in the exhaust system.
So there!
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:28 AM   #32
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You have a point, although before we installed a screen on the return air we did chop up a rodent that tried to enter the store that way. Leaving the back open, when so many folks have lost the plastic cover (saw one on my walk around the campground this morning) just doesn't seem like a good idea. So far this summer I've gotten the mud daubers out of both propane areas and the pin box and I'm sure I'll find them in the AC units. Don't need them in the microwave. Looks like one of those deals where folks must do what they feel comfortable with. I intend to bring it up again at the Rally or maybe on the factory tour and we can discuss it with them face to face.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #33
ranch560
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12491
I'm wondering if we are all talking about the same thing, but we have different situations/different brands of micro's. Mine is a Frigidaire micro/convection # CFMV152 on a 2012 3582. It has a two speed fan. There might be some confusion here. Again, I have removed the metal flap attached to the micro and the performance is now what I would call normal. I'm sensing with the industry installing different models with different specs in different years, my situation doesn't pertain to all.

Jim
ranch560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:18 AM   #34
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Jim,

Ours is the dometic combo unit with a 5 speed fan.

It just seems strange that there are 2 dampers, and the inside one only opens about 1 inch at the bottom cause it hits the center support bar of the plastic outer housing.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote