Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2011, 05:58 AM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Another satellite question

OK. I have about decided to add DISH to the Monty. Right now I only have one coax input. It is located in the convenience center and is the one that goes into the antenna amplifier loop. I would like to add another dedicated to the satellite input.
Adding one in the convenience center and getting the coax to the TV area would be a challenge. BUT. I have a phone jack type connection on the outside wall along side where the TV cabinet is located. The inside phone jack is right under the TV. I can remove an inside panel and pretty easily access that wiring.
Now the question. The coax connector in the convenience center is about a 2-3" diameter plate with a coax connector in the center and mounted with 3 screws. As it would happen, the phone type connector on the outside wall is the same size round plate also with 3 screws. So if I replace the phone jack plate with a similar coax connector plate, I would not to do any cutting or drilling and the coax run would be about 3'. But so far I have come up empty in finding where I can get that exact coax connector plate. Have any ideas?

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:05 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Something like this??

Round Coax Plate

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:38 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
That's it. Thanks, Bingo.

Edit: If anyone else has a source I would like to hear it also. Just checked the site above. They want $10.61 for it. But shipping is $13.92!

Edit #2: Never mind. A google search for cable tv plate rv turns up numerous sources. And most charge similar shipping.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Bill,

Here is a listing on Ebay with free shipping:

Ebay listing

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:49 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Ouch, $14... I built my own and this cost is probably why.

I removed the existing telephone jack wires, and bought a male to male coax adapter, added some nuts on either side to sandwich into the existing hole, then sealed it from the elements. The hole need a little bit of shaving but using the nuts on either side holds it tight. If you look close it's not as pretty but it works. If I spent $5 I would be surprised.

Now over time the protective cover broke off. So I bought a screw on cap for the coax (I think it's called a "terminator") and this keeps things covered up.

If you go with this cover, don't forget the sealant!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #6
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
At the Spring 2010 Rally, I showed many MOCers how I wired my Dish system into my Montana. The schematic is on the MOC site. I added two coax connectors for the 2 satellite feeds just behind the living room TV. Yes, I drilled 2 holes in the side of the Montana--sealed everything up. I got the connectors at Radio Shack along with coax cable and more connectors to make everything work. I use a 5 position video switch to select satellite, cable, antenna or VCR for either television--everyone in my RV is happy especially my wife! Just select what you want and push the button--turn on the TV, get an adult beverage--life is good. Any questions, let me know.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
At my local RV parts place, I bought a rectangular TV Antenna connector box (mine is a duplex, but they had them with a single RF connector). It fit nicely over the spot when the round phone plug used to be. I needed two inputs for my DirecTV DVR. That was before the SWM technology was available.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:11 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The DISH mobile receiver VIP211k only requires one input from the satellite dish and one from the antenna. So I will replace the phone jack with the satellite jack. Will feed the TV from the HDMI output. That will keep it clean and simple.
Will not be able to get satellite to the bedroom without a little more wiring, but that can be done later. Receiver has a coax output that I can run to the bedroom if I decide to. And we typically do not use the bedroom TV much except maybe to watch the news/weather while getting ready for bed.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:28 AM   #9
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Bill,
Actually the VIP211 has a coax out. The coax that has the short loop on the Monte, top goes to satellite receiver. Output of 211 goes to the bottom. Then you have TV to the bedroom. No additional wiring is necessary.

The only short coming of the 211 is that it is a single receiver. In other words, what ever station you are watching on the living room tv will be the same as the bedroom. The other solution is a VIP722, which is a dual turner allowing you to watch two different channels on either of the TV's. It also comes with a RF remote allowing you to change channels remotely. We rarely watch TV in the bedroom so we opted for the 211.

Hope that helps,

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:17 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Ken - Did you also connect the existing living area TV coax from the cable/antenna amp network back to the VIP211 antenna coax input?
I was thinking about what you describe, but it seemed that if I connected the coax of the 211 output to the coax connector for the antenna/cable loop, then connect the existing coax for the antenna/cable-to-TV back to the 211, it would be a feedback loop thru that circuit back to the 211. But it would seem I would have to connect that coax to get antenna signals to the living area TV. Is that clear?

On a related note, the DISH rep said if I were in an area where over the air (antenna) locals were not available, just call them and they would verify it by zip code, and if they agree there is no OTA signal available they would enable me to receive the nearest local channels on the dish. Have you found that to be true?
Old 02-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #11
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Bill,
I don't use the coax out for the living room TV.

I use HDMI from the 211 to the home theater, HDMI from home theater to TV. If you don't have HDMI, you can use component (3 wire), Svideo or composite (1 wire). If you use component, Svideo or composite, you also have to run the audio. (HDMI includes audio.) These can be run to the home theater or directly to the TV. This frees up the coax to run to the bedroom.

Hope that makes sense.

(This probably makes the most amount of difference with HiDef and DVD's)
Quality of signal:
HDMI: Best
Component: Better than Svideo
Svideo: Better than composite
Composite: not sure if it is the same as coax

I haven't tried calling for the local channels yet as we haven't been out of the area.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote