Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
gregg-bean
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10647
batteries

I just took my 2 6 volt batteries outfor winter and noticed they had frozen cells.I don't think that is a good thing.Any input would help.Will they still be good? What should i do??

gregg-bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
2 for Him
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7383
If they haven't frozen hard enough to swell they might be OK. DON'T charge them until you have thawed them out,then charge slowly
to see if they will take a charge, then check your specific gravity in each cell to see if they're even.
Good luck.
Tom
2 for Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I agree with Tom
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #4
gregg-bean
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10647
I had mountineer plugged in to the house the whole time. Not sure why they would have froze? Maybe converter/charger is no good?
Old 01-10-2011, 12:15 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
They shouldn't have frozen, it would be a good idea to charge them up, do as Tom suggested and check the batteries, you can use the little checker with the floating balls in it, or take them to a battery place and they will do it for you.
A check of the converter/charger would be a great idea also. A charged battery won't freeze unless it is way below zero.
Good luck with it.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:24 AM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
A battery at 40% charge will freeze at -19F at full charge -92F Approx sounds like your battery was dead or it was dam cold!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #7
gregg-bean
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10647
Is there a way to check the converter? I live on long island NY and it hasen't been that cold. The batteries were bought new last spring not sure they would be no good already. What is a three stage converter? How do I know which one I have 2007 mountaineer 342pht model?
Old 01-10-2011, 11:47 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
If you have a multi meter handy you can always check the power level of the converter. You just need to find it. It will hiding under something. Your batteries should still be good. Unless they were bad to begin with and or you've abused them by letting the water get really low they should still be good.

A there stage converter will say on it what it is. Three stage just means that it will charge your batteries in 3 stages...... I don't know what the stages are but may be 1. Quick, 2. slows down but still giving a good charge and 3. a maintainable level to just keep the battery charged but not overcharge.

Good luck. HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:00 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Here is a good article on the converter charging:

http://tinyurl.com/cy4ntl

http://tinyurl.com/Checkconverter
Old 01-11-2011, 01:40 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
It would also be worth checking whether or not the battery isolation switch was engaged (assuming your model has one and it is wired into your battery bank). If the battery is left connected, there are several low voltage draws that will drain the battery in a couple of months. These include but are not limited to the propane and carbon monoxide detectors. I always try a basement light to make sure the battery is off since I can never remember if off on the switch means the battery is off or off on the switch means the battery is off on the daggone switch!!! Our switch is identified by a big red plastic key. Just a thought since I agree with others that there is no way the battery should have went dead unless it was energizing something.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #11
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gregg-bean

I had mountineer plugged in to the house the whole time. Not sure why they would have froze? Maybe converter/charger is no good?
If you have the battery disconnect turned off, the batteries won't charge, but your lights in the Monty will all work fine.

As someone else said, fully charge battery is good to -92 F and 20% charged battery is good to +19 F.

I have solar panels on my Monty, so it charges everyday the sun shines.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:58 AM   #12
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

It would also be worth checking whether or not the battery isolation switch was engaged (assuming your model has one and it is wired into your battery bank). If the battery is left connected, there are several low voltage draws that will drain the battery in a couple of months. These include but are not limited to the propane and carbon monoxide detectors. I always try a basement light to make sure the battery is off since I can never remember if off on the switch means the battery is off or off on the switch means the battery is off on the daggone switch!!! Our switch is identified by a big red plastic key. Just a thought since I agree with others that there is no way the battery should have went dead unless it was energizing something.
Bingo
Bingo,

You are right on the draws while disconnect is on (key can't be removed is on position), but that go both ways, if he is hooked up to shore power, the "big red plastic key" can be removed (meaning off position), the batteries will NOT charge.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote