Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2018, 09:28 PM   #1
crazybobslodge

M.O.C. #19444
Hydraulic jack grinding noise

We have a 2017 3730FL fifth wheel. It sat in a garage for 6 months and when we attempted to raise the landing gear to hook up there is a grinding noise when raising the front jacks, if I briefly retract the gear and then raise it,the gear, the noise stops as long as I continue to raise it. If I stop and restart the grinding noise returns unless I again retract briefly and then raise the gear
Any suggestions. This is a lippert system. Is the motor bad? Air in the lines? The hydraulic fluid level is fine. Was a little low (about a pint) and I added some. The sound is definitely coming from the pump and reservoir area in front I Cannot see where any fluid leaked out over the summer. We will be on the road for 8 days then will be back in the town where we purchased the rig by November 1.

crazybobslodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:14 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
When all the jacks are up and all slides are in, the fluid in the reservoir should be about an inch from the top of the fill hole where the plug goes. If it is way low, you might be pushing air through the pump. This is the link to the Lippert sheet on what fluid to use, and you can mix any of the recommended fluids with what is already in the tank. https://www.lci1.com/images/support/lipsheet/0291.pdf
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:17 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If that isn't it, call Lippert Customer Service. They are great to work with.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:51 AM   #4
crazybobslodge

M.O.C. #19444
thanks with everything up and in I added the fluid to the 'full' line on the tank since posting the thread i actually extended the jack with the grinding noise and then kept extending it and the noise stopped and jack extended normally (very slow moving jack when hearing the noise) but next time I extended jack noise was back so I am thinking air in lines like suggested, will try to call Lippert
so helpful having this forum, first time posting however have been a member for two years, usually can find answer to my questions by reading earlier posts.
crazybobslodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:43 AM   #5
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Most,likely the grinding noise you might be hearing is actually the dual polarity solenoid to the hydraulic pump motor.. if cable c9nnections from battery to either CW or CCW terminal post on the solenoid are corroded or loose you aren’t pulling enough current and the solenoid is chattering..

There of course are no gears inside the hydraulic LG rams...

I’d check that out before going further
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:45 AM   #6
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Also the landing gear system is a self bleeding system if you run the gear up and down several cycles pausing after each cycle to allow pump motor to cool down
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 12:13 PM   #7
bizmarkc

M.O.C. #32787
Hello Chuck. My leveling system has a grinding noise and I read your post about it might be the solenoid. Can you tell me where this is at? Thanks.
bizmarkc is offline   Reply With Quote