Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2017, 05:40 PM   #1
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Considering buying lot in Central Florida

Not sure exactly where to post this so forgive me if it isn't where you think it should be.

The wife and I are considering buying a lot in Central Florida. I am thinking between the Gulf coast and Lake Okochobi (spelling wrong I know) because I like both fresh and salt water fishing.

I am thinking a lot large enough that about 4 RV sites could be built on it plus a center area for entertaining. I suspect we have some friends that might want to camp there too and could share the costs. I am thinking keep it small so we don't run into all the regulations that a full sized park has to deal with and don't have issues with tenants....

Our general idea is to snowbird in Florida in the winter, Spring and Fall at our estate in North Arkansas with extended travel in between.

First, does anyone know much about the real estate market in that area of Florida?

Second, are there any good reasons to do this or not to do it?

mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:14 PM   #2
coachgrowl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20448
I for one would be against it. Sounds like a headache. I owned rental property for years and sold it all in 2008. Retired people do not need the trouble. My advice rent in a park that someone else owns and has responsibility for. Just my jaded 3 cents.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:26 AM   #3
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
We live in Naples, and the property values are unbelievable. Property in Michigan can go for as little as $500 to $1000 an acre but here in Naples we saw many 5 acres going for over $500000. you can find property but that's not the problem. The problem is how much money do you have to buy. After the 2008 crash the banks do not like to finance on vacant land due to the fact in Leigh high acres and cape coral many property's are under bank auction so no is the answer you get from banks, believe me we tried, Also the zoning might be an issue also. we looked in to buying in the golden gate estates and we needed cash to buy the land and then we could not put an rv pad down until a 3 bedroom 1200 sq. foot home was built first. We ended up buying a lot in Imperial Wilderness RV, but we had to pay cash and love it here we have 2 pools and all the amenity's that go with it. 185 association per month for cable, water, lawn care, can go wrong. Just my 3 cents also.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:24 AM   #4
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I wouldn’t buy property in Florida. Taxes will eat you alive. If something can be sold for a dollar or more it will walk off
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:51 AM   #5
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
The area you described is south central FL. I was just over there Saturday. Still lots of farmland. Property is dirt cheap compared to the coastal areas. I don't believe property taxes out there are high at all.

Having said that, you would have to drill a well and install septic. You need to call county services to determine if you can drop an RV in there for short-term. WRT multiple rigs using the same services, even for short visits, all it would take is one neighbor to upset your plans. OTOH, if your property is secluded it might not be a problem. I suggest you go to something like realtor.com to view listings. I strongly suggest you thoroughly research zoning regs before committing to anything.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:15 PM   #6
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Trust me we will be doing a LOT of research before we buy anything! I absolutely hate excessive code regulations, association fees or living in a gated "community" type concepts. It isn't that we are not social, its just that we like to be social on OUR terms.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:22 PM   #7
gulfcoastbeachbum

M.O.C. #20384
we bought in Ceder Island we have .84 of acre county will allow us 4 RV's on site we have county water/sewer tax's this year $357.00 this is a RV friendly community ! there is great fishing and hunting we are 23 miles from Perry, FL

e-mail me fast.vette@hotmail.com phone 352-442-9326
gulfcoastbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:38 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It's all about zoning and water and sewer. We own our place in Kansas and lease our place in NM in an Escapee COOP park. Both have advantages and disadvantages. To help mitigate the issues in the COOP park I'm on the Board of Directors. Based on water rights and sewer issues, I don't think I'd want to own my own place in our part of NM.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:36 AM   #9
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
wow wouldn't think sewer would be a big issue in NM LOL. Considering you can pour a quart of water out of a jar and it will evaporate before it hits the ground LOL....Now finding water to begin with well that is an entirely different story.....
Old 12-03-2017, 02:38 PM   #10
gulfcoastbeachbum

M.O.C. #20384
Give me a call i been trying to send you some info it keeps coming back 352-442-9326
Old 12-03-2017, 03:22 PM   #11
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
try sending to xxxxxxxx@xxxxx.com
Old 12-03-2017, 03:36 PM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
wow wouldn't think sewer would be a big issue in NM LOL. Considering you can pour a quart of water out of a jar and it will evaporate before it hits the ground LOL....Now finding water to begin with well that is an entirely different story.....
The water may evaporate, but that just leaves you with a turd hitting the ground and looking back at you
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:34 PM   #13
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
The water may evaporate, but that just leaves you with a turd hitting the ground and looking back at you
Yep that might be a problem LOL......

I spent a couple of years in the Texas Panhandle. I was amazed by the snow that was so dry you couldn't make a snowball out of it. Now that is dry when frozen water isn't wet LOL....
Old 12-03-2017, 05:02 PM   #14
gulfcoastbeachbum

M.O.C. #20384
thats the email that keeps coming back
Old 12-03-2017, 05:25 PM   #15
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
hmmmm that's weird I am getting dozens of emails a day. Not the least of which are the notices from this site that I haven't figured out how to stop yet LOL

I sent you an email too. Did you not get it?
Old 12-03-2017, 05:27 PM   #16
gulfcoastbeachbum

M.O.C. #20384
got it but wont return reply