Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2014, 07:27 AM   #1
Sue and Verle

M.O.C. #14211
2014 Big Sky

We aren't really new here, but with new computers and emails, we couldn't get signed on, and so just re-registered. We currently have a 2008 Montana Big Sky 3400. We really love our 3400 and have had very few problems with it, (outside of several blow outs on the E rated tires, which we've since upgraded). We're really liking some of the changes we see in the new Big Sky models. (Paint job rather than peeling decals that we have now, for one thing, LOL). We're finding ourselves drawn to the front living rooms. Could anyone, owning one of these, give their experiences, pro and con? I'd really like to upgrade, there are a lot of positive changes since 2008, but am having trouble convincing my better half that we "NEED" to do so. Are the changes worth buying a new unit in your opinions? What do you like or not like?
Thanks for your opinions and thoughts on this matter. Have a Happy Day.

Sue and Verle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Yep, needs and wants are of course two different things but in our case the want side of things won out and we are two weeks away from our new 2015 3610(non Big Sky) arriving. Obviously to us, the changes were worth buying a new unit. Although we are not drawn to the front living units the new floor plan, larger shower, level up system and home theater seating were enough by themselves to get us to invest more hard earned savings in the continued pursuit of rving happiness, but that's just us. When you really get to comparing there are quite a few upgrades from your 2008, good luck with the DW and keep us posted.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:36 AM   #3
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
We have a 2013 3750FL. It is front living room. I like having 2 doors, lounge in front and bedroom in rear. I think the rear bedroom is a safety feature.
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:31 PM   #4
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
We have the 3850 Front Living room, non-Big Sky. I'm sorry we didn't get the BigSky just for the G rated tires and bigger shower, both of which we'd like to upgrade. We absolutely love the Front Living room layout, for the roomy rear bedroom and the front living room itself.

napria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We really liked the front living room then I thought about how many times we go up the stairs to the bedroom in the 06 3400 and how much time we spent in the living room area of the 06 3400. We figured we would going up and down the stairs a lot in front LR model and we do not like to go up and down stairs and that is why we did not buy the front LR.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #6
Sue and Verle

M.O.C. #14211
Thanks, everybody and I'm still open to more discussion. Good points, Richfaa on the stairs, and KOLCB on the safety feature of the rear bedroom. napria, we just changed out the wheels of our 2008 2 years ago to the G rated wheels (after 3 BAD blow outs on the E ones, although we were always able to get safely off the road, it tears the side out of your rig. . .)and so far, so good. Thanks again.
Sue and Verle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:19 PM   #7
jimandlaurie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12948
Send a message via AIM to jimandlaurie Send a message via MSN to jimandlaurie Send a message via Yahoo to jimandlaurie
We looked at many floor plans but with the features like 2 doors and the large living room, and the safety aspect that KOLCB mentioned ,we got the 3750FL, and absolutely love it. We are very happy with our choice. We looked at the 3850 also but the DW didn't quite like the wall separating the dining area from the livingroom, but preferred the openness the 3750 has inthat area. Minor perhaps , but everyone has different things that they like. Good luck on your search .
jimandlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:31 PM   #8
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by K0LCB

We have a 2013 3750FL. It is front living room. I like having 2 doors, lounge in front and bedroom in rear. I think the rear bedroom is a safety feature.
Well said safety first with 2 doors and 40 ft of trailer. The 3750 has it detractors because of passing through bath to get to bedroom. 3850 fixed that for those with the issue. Now the other side of argument. We don't have many guests and the pass through bath is no issue. In addition the 3750 retains the larger bathroom. Hallways take up room. The 3750 has the bed in the larger slide. You can't hear bathroom noise if sleeping. Your head is far enough out the slide for comfort. The 3850 has a slide door into bedroom. That means, your going to hear bathroom noise. We did not want a slide door (pocket door) in any floor plan we considered. Smaller bath, more potential noise is trade off. We love the 3750 layout, especially the large out of the way dinette slide. Last point, even Big Sky's have decals if I am not mistaken, and they show chips more really than solid Gel Coat? All other Big Sky items were available on our unit, with just paint delete option. Btw. I like the paint on the Big Sky, especially since the White Gel color is gone. Good luck it's all a matter of what you want! We do like the 3750 style floor plan, featured in the RV that's named after a tree indigenous to the Humbolt Forrest. It has larger kitchen, but retains pass through bath. We are in hope that Big Sky, adopts that floor plan!

Remember G rated tires is an option on all units!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:36 AM   #9
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
We looked at the front living plans. We purchased the 3900FB because there are no recliners in the fl, we go to many places where the view, water, mountains, etc are at the rear. The large windows offer so much more view and openness in the 3900. To us, the bath and1/2 are a great feature. We also love the theatre seating , not available in the front living models. Also as Rich mentioned, up and down the steps so often would work on our legs. Our bedroom is very dark for better sleeping. The front bath with the large closet allows us both to dress at the same time. Choosing what your personal preferences are is just that, personal. The full body paint is much easier to clean. To me, the level up is the best of all improvements. Trade offs, trade offs , trade offs!!!!
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:47 AM   #10
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Artemus Gordon

Remember G rated tires is an option on all units!
If I'd been more aware at the time I would have insisted the Marathons be swapped out as a condition to purchasing our unit.

By the way, the wall separating the kitchen and living room in the 3850 is something we like, but recognize isn't for everyone. We were looking to upgrade our bunkhouse since the kids are now older teens and bunks just weren't working anymore. The living room is now their bunk room and the separation gives them a bit more privacy. But this floor plan isn't as limiting as a bunkhouse when the kids no longer come with us. For the same reasons the bypass bath works better for us. Just that darn tiny shower isn't working out! I'm thinking of removing just the glass shower enclosure and replacing it with a curved curtain rod.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:39 AM   #11
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
We fall into the group that likes the big wide open views afforded by the rear living room models. What I'm curious about is the stated safety features of the front LR. I get the 2 door benefit, but other than that how is rear BR safer? I'm NOT arguing, I am just curious!!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:36 AM   #12
gkidsdlite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12956
This post and another about fires and what to do if you have one really has me thinking hard about a FL model. We have always thought that we liked the FL but after seeing these posts and realizing that I am no spring chicken anymore and may have trouble exiting a front bedroom if the exit was blocked by fire, maybe all of you folks have convinced me! Thank You!
gkidsdlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:13 AM   #13
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
No matter which model your choose in the end I urge you to NOT become complacent when it comes to an exit plan in case of fire.

Any one of these rigs cans go up in flames in a matter of minutes. My DW is a lifetime nurse and practicing fire drills regularly were all part of her career and we always review and remind each other that while in our rv the exit plan is to get to our bedroom window, get out as fast as possible and DO NOT try to save anything else but ourselves!!! Before that, always know where to access a fire extinguisher and always ensure the smoke detector in the hall is working.

Looking at it a different way if we owned a front living room unit. With my luck a fire would erupt while the DW was out with her lady friends at 2pm while I was having an afternoon nap on the the living room couch. So no matter which model, always, always practice an exit plan. If you fail to plan.....
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:39 AM   #14
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

We fall into the group that likes the big wide open views afforded by the rear living room models. What I'm curious about is the stated safety features of the front LR. I get the 2 door benefit, but other than that how is rear BR safer? I'm NOT arguing, I am just curious!!
Two things: you don't lose the wide open feeling with 3750. Just different view than the RL models. In fact the view down into kitchen is quite nice. The fire exit being closer to the bed room ( second doorway ) is better for us less agile folks. Plus the rear window of Bedroom is easily used as escape route. We keep the door from kitchen to bath closed at night, we leave our door to bath open. Straight line exit. Also forgot to mention. In bad weather the two dogs always come in via the back door. Helps save the carpets and keeps them in contained bath area. One last thing. Our shower is not tiny. I am 6 ft 265.2 and I fit just fine! Lol
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:53 AM   #15
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
For those with that second door, a word of advice... It may be obvious, but when you get to your destination and set up, make sure you swing that outside grab bar away from the door. The first morning with our 3850FL I heard birds chirping and wanted to open the back door. I couldn't figure out at first why the door wouldn't open.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:37 AM   #16
rickandsandy
Established Member

M.O.C. #13975
we have a 2014 3750fl bigsky.we went bigsky for the paint instead of stickers.and for the appearance.havent had a chance to use it yet.i think the front livingroom will be great for us.on the downside the lack of kitchen storage is a problem for us.
rickandsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:58 AM   #17
rickandsandy
Established Member

M.O.C. #13975
we have a 2014 3750fl bigsky.we went bigsky for the paint instead of stickers.and for the appearance.havent had a chance to use it yet.i think the front livingroom will be great for us.on the downside the lack of kitchen storage is a problem for us.
rickandsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:12 PM   #18
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Artemus Gordon

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

Two things: you don't lose the wide open feeling with 3750. Just different view than the RL models. In fact the view down into kitchen is quite nice. The fire exit being closer to the bed room ( second doorway ) is better for us less agile folks. Plus the rear window of Bedroom is easily used as escape route. We keep the door from kitchen to bath closed at night, we leave our door to bath open. Straight line exit. Also forgot to mention. In bad weather the two dogs always come in via the back door. Helps save the carpets and keeps them in contained bath area. One last thing. Our shower is not tiny. I am 6 ft 265.2 and I fit just fine! Lol

I understand about the door, and agree that is safer. But I will disagree about the views. Having been in a FL rig, I know that you have a great view of the kitchen, but not so much the outside. Our rig has the rear end entertainment center with the TV that elevates from behind the fireplace. With the TV down I have a living room that is surrounded by big windows on three sides. When we back into a site on a lake, by the ocean, or on the edge of a cliff, we've got VIEWS! However, as I said, I support your safety message!!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #19
jimandlaurie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12948
Send a message via AIM to jimandlaurie Send a message via MSN to jimandlaurie Send a message via Yahoo to jimandlaurie
For me if, need to jump out the window from the 3750FL of a fire starts , I won't break my neck in the fall, and if I am in the living room and a fire starts I will probably be awake and aware enough to fight my way out without just jumping out the window half asleep. Just my $.02 feelimg.
jimandlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #20
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
We have the 3850 Bug Sky. We move from a 3400 rear living room to the front living room and love it. There is a lot of conversation here on safety and I agree bout the doors. However, that was not the main reason for us buying the 3850. We just returned from 2 months in Florida and I used the back door a number of times, loved it. . We love the large bedroom and the location of the w/d closet. Also, our table is a free standing table and we do not have to slide in behind the table as we did in the 3400. I have sat at the table in the 3850 more in 4 months than I did in the 3400 in six and a half years. As far as the view for us not a big deal. The rear window in the 3850 is larger than the rear living room and it is great for the dogs to look out of. The large 50 in TV is another plus with an entertainment center outside. I found that there is enough storage space to put everything we had in the 3400 in the 3850. We have plenty of storage in the interior. We have the two couches with air bed capability if needed and a nice storage otterman. There are a number of other things we like about our unit but I will not write a book on it.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote