Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
dchafer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4203
Send a message via Yahoo to dchafer
Wallpaper Border

I have just removed the border in the bathroom to find the wall so sticky that my sweater sticks to it and I have to pull it off.
I am replacing it with solid vinyl border....
Has anyone ever replaced the border in their rig and what did you use to get the sticky off.

dchafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:44 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Fla Native found some orange cleaner stuff, available ONLY on the internet, that worked. We have not seen her post here in a LONG time, you might see if she will answer a PM???

I tried everything INCLUDING gasoline.

My experience, my suggestion, - - ohhhh, I used vinyl replacement border paper too, prepasted stuff.

DON'T Try to clean if off, DO apply wall prep. Apply well. (Reason for NOT cleaning, is the areas where I really scrubbed hard, with gas and other agents, the wall prep and the new papers did not stick quite as well, I have a couple of bubbles in the areas I scrubbed hardest)

Must use a wall boarder that is at least as wide, but wider is BETTER, than what you took down. My original choice was NOT as wide, it went elsewhere and I went back to the wallpaper store and found something that was about 1/8th inch wider than the OEM stuff.

If you have a new unit and are contemplating changing paper, do it SOON, once this stuff sits on the walls for, oohhhh, 6 months, you won't get this glue stuff off.

I said when I did mine, this glue is so strong they could use it to hold a 747 together! WOW, that stuff is unreal.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
I used Goo Gone and patience. Both worked!
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:02 AM   #4
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Wife took the funeral home border off" as she called it" in our 2004 Mountaineer. Sez she just pulled it off and used warm water with Shaklee Basic H and all the glue and stuff came off. She changed all the borders in the whole unit. I wonder if they changed the type of wall board over the years and the self stick border will not stick as good and they used some other type of adheseve to stick it on?
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:28 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Pam,

I tried Goo Gone, did not work for me. Maybe they have changed the sticky stuff?

Old Turbo,

Shaklee, eh?? Not in my bag of tricks, maybe it should have been.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:06 AM   #6
dchafer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4203
Send a message via Yahoo to dchafer
went to Ace Hardware here in Port A, Texas and they sold me a little can of Goof... was lighter fuel I think. It felt like it worked but this morning sticky goo is back... this stuff is just like a nightmare....will try something else this gentleman recommended .. I think he was a contractor and he showed me a red can, not sure of name.. will try and get back to y'all... thanks, Diane
dchafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:15 AM   #7
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I see no mention of soap and water to remove the glue, has anyone tried this method? Maybe everyone thinks you have to use a petroleum based remover and this just makes the problem worse.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 07:41 AM   #8
back2nature

M.O.C. #7976
Anybody try De-Solve-It (found at most grocery stores)? I use it all the time to get sticky labels off things I buy. Spray it on and use a plastic scraper.
back2nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:01 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We did not get the super sticky stuff on our 06 3400. The OEM border is coming loose in several areas the bathroom being the worst. Although we are very careful with ventilation we do live in this thing 6 or 7 months of the year and we take showers, cook, bake, sweat and breath in it so we are not surprised that the OEM stuff is loosening. We will replace it when we can't stand it any longer. Lots of good advise here and it is so logged.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:40 AM   #10
billaero1
Established Member

M.O.C. #104
Try using Ammonia. I use a spray bottle and spray in on, let it sit for a few minutes and (still have a bit of rubbing to do) clean it up. It may still take a couple of times. I did not remove the original border as that is a lot of work and I was conserned about pulling the wallpaper loose. I pre-paired the original border by lightly scuffing with sand paper, wiping clean then applying a primer/sealer. Then I put up new border, I have changed our borders twice. This second border change is a bit larger than the original so hopefully the edged will not curl as quick. The original will always stay there, I just remove the old border and replaced it with a new one. The newer borders remove real easy to remove. It is an easy and inexpensive way to re-decorate. Good Luck
billaero1 is offline   Reply With Quote