Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2006, 10:20 AM   #1
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
Bed Saver

Has anyone installed one of these? How about brand names. Thanks.

DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:32 AM   #2
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
DCP,

I have one installed made by Blue Ox. Don't know off hand if there are any other brand names.Try this site to get more info - http://www.blueox.us/. I bought mine at a local shop and it took less than 20 minutes to installed.

Good Luck!
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:46 AM   #3
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Best insurance you will ever get for around $175.00! Can't tell you what an awful feeling you get in the pit of your stomach when you hear that trailer break loose from the hitch...If you have that bed saver it will catch it for you and the damage is nill compared to if you don't have it and it hits the bed of your truck.....
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:47 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Those that have them swear by them. They've saved denting a lot of truck boxes.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 05:15 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
DCP, we have one and wouldn't be without it. It's the best insurance you can get for the price. There's an active discussion on the Bedsaver in the General Discussions area of the forum that you might like to read.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:50 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Blue ox is the only manufacturer of the bedsaver..www.blueox.com or here for a good price www.rvupgradestore.com If you will never make a mistake, be distracted, have a lapse of memory or are otherwise perfect The bedsaver is a waste of money.. I have had one from day one..also have a notched tailgate..don't let this get out but I am not perfect..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:30 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dave,

Fellow MOC member Ozz recently experienced the benefit of a little extra insurance:

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=17805

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:29 PM   #8
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Even if you do make mistakes and you know you are a member of the human race which eliminates any chance of being perfect, a Bedsaver might not be something you want. I don't want to lose the space or add weight to my box. I have towed Fivers for over 20 years and using my check list and checking and rechecking, I have never dropped a fiver. Will I drop one some day, who knows but you can not buy a safety device for every possible mistake you can make in life. If it makes you feel safer , by all means get a Bedsaver, but please don't assume that those of us who don't feel them being necessary are making this choice because we are over confident. That would make you wrong.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:41 AM   #9
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wrenchtraveller

Even if you do make mistakes and you know you are a member of the human race which eliminates any chance of being perfect, a Bedsaver might not be something you want. I don't want to lose the space or add weight to my box. I have towed Fivers for over 20 years and using my check list and checking and rechecking, I have never dropped a fiver. Will I drop one some day, who knows but you can not buy a safety device for every possible mistake you can make in life. If it makes you feel safer , by all means get a Bedsaver, but please don't assume that those of us who don't feel them being necessary are making this choice because we are over confident. That would make you wrong.
Well put.

As a pilot for many years, I too am a firm believer in check lists..."we did put the gear down didn't we?"

As for the bed saver, a lot has to do with your hitch. My Husky (made by RBW) does not have the jaws many hitches have, that require closing around the pin. The Husky has a spring loaded sliding locking bar that slams (literally) across the back of the pin when hooking up. When it slams home, there is no doubt the 5er is securely attached to truck. You can see it as well as hear it. If I get to the point where: I forget the check list, miss the slam, miss the visual...I think it's time to quit RVing.
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 05:23 AM   #10
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
I know a couple people who have dropped their 5th wheel on their truck bed. One couple had just received news of a terrible family tragedy. They were understandably distraught while hitching up to head back north and my friend failed to make sure the hitch was properly engaged.

In my own personal experience, we volunteer at the same campground each winter and arrival can be like old home week. It's very difficult sometimes to remain focused and make sure everything is done in the proper order when you've got friends stopping by to welcome you.

It would also be very easy to forget to chock the wheels prior to unhitching under certain circumstances.

For those reasons, I felt that there was a distinct possibility that, at some point, I could make a mistake. So -- I made my own version of the bed saver. Not because I'm too cheap to buy the commercial version, but because I enjoy tinkering with metal fab.

So far it hasn't come into play, but you just never know.

Gary

wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 03:33 PM   #11
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
I like having mine. It is not too expensive (a lot less than some hobbies or vices) and if it makes you feel more comfortable why not?
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote