Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2015, 06:11 AM   #1
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
shore power cord replaced

Some times crap happens. Before we left florida, I went to separate the power cord from the fifty amp extension after turning pedistal breaker off. Got a crack of separation when I note melting on the cord. Stopped and put the whole thing away. Stopped at cw in georgia and got a brand new furrion cord and a replacement female plug for the almost new extension cord. When I got to our first stop for the night, I took a big screwdriver and wedged the two cords apart. Rv power cord had severe melting around the neutral blade and the blade was very heat damaged with color changes to the metal. One power leg had melting around blade...but the blade didn't suffer like the neutral did. The molded connector on the extension suffered melting and reading with a meter were a little hard to get good contact inside it. So I replaced the connector to save the extension. Old power cord - don't trust it so I am putting it into recycling bin for its copper content. When I metered it there weren't any shorts between its wiring, but I felt it might be a future hazard to the monty. The insanity of having shore power enter the rv at its rear end is....well, you know...made sense to somebody to design it that way. Things are more normal now...new power cord is nice and cool to the touch...and I can start thinking real serious about moving that inlet to the side somewhere. John

Old 05-01-2015, 07:00 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I guess shore power location is in the eye of the beholder. Most everywhere we go, the electric box is to the rear and beyond the campsite pad. If we had a mid unit main connection, I'd have to drag out a 50 amp extension cord about 1/3 of the time.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:23 AM   #3
MHC305RL
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #15946
I rarely find the pedestal at the rear of my unit. It is usually either at the mid point or up next to the road. I do not understand why they chose to put every other utility at the convenience center then put the plug at the rear. In the center would be more versatile than the front or back, IMO.
MHC305RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:28 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Sounds like there was a poor connection where the power cord plugged in the extension cord. Poor connection = higher resistance = voltage drop = heat.

I have also found the pedastal to be near the center most every time. There has been more than one time I dropped the jacks and started setting up and then noticed the cord would not reach. Had to raise the jacks and pull forward a couple feet to reach. That is the first thing I check now.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:14 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I'm with Diesel Guy. Only about once in ten times is the pedestal anywhere except the back and then it's still easily within reach of our original cord. The only time I've ever used our extension cord is as a sub for the original when I replaced the ends. I would imagine that if a spot were built for a class A it could have the pedestal by the road so they could just pull in. I've just never hit a spot like that.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:21 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We also had to replace the plug last winter. It just fell apart and we lost one phase. We have not yet had to use our 50 amp extension cord but we do have one.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:38 AM   #7
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MHC305RL

I do not understand why they chose to put every other utility at the convenience center then put the plug at the rear.
Likely not positioned near water for safety reasons
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:32 AM   #8
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I use to carry a 50ft 50amp extension cord but stopped because people keep borrowing it and they damage the ends because they won’t take the time to unplug the carefully. I only use it at home now.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:05 AM   #9
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
What about carrying it and just not loaning it out? When folks ask if you have one they can borrow just be honest and tell them no, you do not have one that they can borrow. It would not be a lie.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:39 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do carry one as we do a lot of Fairground camping (rallies) and the power pedestal can be a long way off. We have used it maybe 5 or 6 times in 9 years and keep in in a storage box in the rear of the truck.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:59 AM   #11
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CORattler

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MHC305RL

I do not understand why they chose to put every other utility at the convenience center then put the plug at the rear.
Likely not positioned near water for safety reasons
That can't be the reason as every TT and almost all MH units have them in the middle. Only 5ers have them at the rear, and it takes more cable to run the cable from the power panel to there as well. Makes no sense at all, but they do it anyway. Several folks have put second receptacles at the front or middle, but then there's the issue of the rear one being hot if you do. Since there's a cover over the thing, I don't see that as a big problem. Something on my list of stuff to do sometime soon.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:19 AM   #12
chris199
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17167
We got our first Monty less than a month ago. Our TT had a very long power cord...longer than the Monty...but the TT was 10' shorter than the Monty. In probably more excitement about outfitting the camper than a known need, I bought a 50a extension cord and a 50a to 30a pigtail before we even picked up the Monty. Low and behold, on our first trip to our typical weekend CG, what do I find....electric and water all the way at the front of the site. If I didn't have the extension and pigtail I would have been headed home right there.

For us most times (99%) power is mid-site or toward the back of the site for us but this is the first time power is up front.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:44 AM   #13
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
To do it right, install a transfer switch when you install the additional inlet and then you will be safe and legal.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote