Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2006, 08:20 AM   #1
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Good Steward - Enviornment - interesting article

Last summer this came up a few times, about moving fire wood cross country, even across county lines. This covers more than that - - - - -

Al found this interesting link today, we just thought we would share it with you.

For many of us, part of the camping/rving experience has always been to conserve and protect our enviornment.

I thought it was all good stuff, but gotta say the comments about the beetle that only eats purple loosestrife does make my eyebrows go up, as these kinds of interventions are what brought us the lovely Asian beetle that we all love soooooooooooo much!

Anyway, for what it is worth:

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365_41665-157187--,00.html

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:48 PM   #2
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Carol,

Thanks for pointing out that we do need to be good stewards of the land. We have a aquatic weed called Hydrallia(sp, which is not native, that took over a near by lake. Some swimmers even lost their lives because the got tangled up in it when they were trying to untangle their props on their boats. After the media exposure some sterlie Asian carp were introduced to the lake to eat it. They have done a great job so far and are not reproducing. The fear was that they would multiply and take over the lake. So far they are doing what the biologist said that they would do.... stuff themselves and they die of old age.

We have acreage and I am watching 100 year old live oaks die of oak wilt. We will not allow anyone to take wood from our property unless they agree to burn all of it before winter is over. The beetles that get into the wood spread the disease in the spring and just love the stacked wood in the spring. I would love for someone to introduce something that would get rid of the cedar trees that give me fits with my allergies from December until April.

Thanks for reminding me that I need to be aware of the balance in mother nature.

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote