Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2006, 11:14 AM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Which air hitch to go with?

I am seriously considering getting an air hitch when I get my 3400 next spring. I've got a F350 long bed 4x4. Question for those who have air hitches--what are the pros and cons of the different models? What criteria did you use in deciding which air hitch was the one to go with?

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 12:25 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
David, you'll get many replies here on this one. I have the TrailerSaver Hitch by Hensley. Love it. Can't give you any information about others. Mine does everything I wanted it to. Go to www.trailersaver.com to get information about it.

Prior to getting it, I was being beat up from all the bucking and jolting from the truck and 5er combo. It took me 2 years to make up my mind because I was full time and I wanted something that was going to do me what I wanted it to do. Now I can arrive at my destinations without being really tired. There are many others who have the same hitch who will attest to what I'm trying to say.

Whatever you do, study them all. Mine was pricey -- $1800 and is now over $2000.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:25 PM   #3
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
David,

I know the question is about hitches, but you might want to consider an air pin box. Just got a 5th Airborne, $750 installed. It has an air bag for up down shock absorption and a shock absorber (like on a vehicle) for chucking. So far I've been very impressed. You'll find that air pin boxes are much cheaper than air hitches. www.fifthairborne.com
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:42 PM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Don't have one David, but if we knew THEN what we know NOW, we would have sprung for the air hitch. We have the predessor of the 5th Airborne, and as much as we love it, for all it takes out, we still get some minor chucking. Will be interested Cat320 in your continued opinion of the Airborne after hitting, ohhhh, I 10! Can't help you much with the choice of a air hitch, wish I could.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 02:00 PM   #5
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
CAT320, please keep us informed how it works when the road is not the smoothest. I am very much interested in the air pin box as opposed to the hitch because we have a new Monty and plan on having it for quite a while now. Thanks - Jim
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:24 PM   #6
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
As I said here before and will say it again,I have a Trailer Saver and would have nothing but. I researched it and here they are few reasons. I can raise the 5th wheel if needed so as not to hit the 5th wheel and truck rails,If I trade TV I can take the hitch with me because it fits all trucks. It's made by Hensley which I have had previous experience with and they are wonderful to deal with and make a excellent product. Yes it will ride smoother then the pin box and when you trade 5th wheel the new one might have a different pin box and therefore it won't fit. In my research I had come to the feeling that Trail air is the way to go if you go with the pin box. The way the roads are today you need something so as the 5th wheel is on air.You can do a search on this topic as it has been discussed before. Be sure to read carols post. If you decide to go with Trailer Saver be sure to order the compressor thats built in and contact me on a change that I made to it.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote