Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2006, 03:20 PM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sandymom

Not that I'm planning a purchase , but are there any recommendations as to what to purchase for the DW and myself?

Mike

Tough question.Me..I am partial to the big ole (slab sides) US Government M-1911A1 45 automatic also the Ruger P-95 in 9mm. For the ladies perhaps something a bit smaller like the Bersa 380, The ladies may have some trouble working the slides on those big ole automatics.."*&^%$$" I broke another nail"... It may be handy to have the Remington M870 12 Gauge, 20 inch barrel lying about with the Low recoil, low noise target load handy as it will not damage your camper or any of the neighbors too much but will put a world of hurt on the bad guy.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 03:27 PM   #22
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Our license are in Colorado and there are 25 states that honor Colorado license. So that is why we are legal in those states.

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 03:37 PM   #23
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
I use a 357 revolver 6 shot Ruger and a automatic CZ 9MM. I also have others that are different calibur. I want a Glock 40 auto. On my wish list.
Since I am a woman thought I would mention what I use.

Not mentioning Don's favorites.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:50 PM   #24
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Rich.... Don has a Colt Mark 4 automatic 45. I have no problem with the slide on it. But it has had many thousand rounds shot from it.

My CZ is a little stiff but used "Gun Juice" on it and made it better. That has graphite in it. So have no problems with automatics. But I don't worry about my nails.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:43 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Helen has a little trouble with the slide on the Government model 45 or for that matter with any large frame auto. We own a couple of large frame autos as well as some large frame revolvers EX. SW M27 357 Mag. We find them not well suited for concealed carry as they are sort of difficult to conceal. We also prefer the pistol over the revolver for concealed carry and the smaller frame auto,The Bersa380 is a really nice firearm or something similar in 9mm.Personal preference..Just a note.. I have been a hunter all my life having grown up in NW PA and firearms of all kinds were just a normal part of life. Member of NRA , been a home and hunter safety course instructor and nearly became Concealed carry instructor (time restraints) We are not however a big fan of concealed carry concept ..It is a indicator of how our society has degraged that we, the law abiding folk feel the need.. We have the right, I understand the need, we choose not be be a victim. It just concerns me that our society has let us down to the point that we can not trust socity to protect us. Sad. Very sad. Carring the weapon does not make me feel secure..It takes me back to another place and another time where everyone is a potential enemy. Such is life..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 03:25 AM   #26
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
Rich

Thanks for the information. It will be very helpful. Pa license looks good as we will be going there a lot, My oldest son lives in York, Pa.

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 10:53 AM   #27
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
"better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6". Corny, maybe, but that pretty well sums it up for me. I like a revolver, myself, for the simple fact that you can load it and forget it. Just pick it up and pull the trigger.

Shotguns are cheap and plentiful, and you can get ammo anywhere with no hassle (except maybe the People's Republic of Taxichusetts).
Not real packable, but sometimes you don't need to pack anything on your person.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 01:14 PM   #28
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
I found long ago, you can't always count on the police to protect. They are just too busy to rescue everyone.

A gun saved my life many years ago.

Everyone needs the responsibility to know when to shoot and when not to.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:51 PM   #29
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Yes I also carry on board, and it's to bad that I have to do that to feel safe, greed and drugs I think are the two reasons why this happens. I just hope that I never get into a situation where I will be placed into a position to use extream force.

TT2
Old 11-24-2006, 02:26 PM   #30
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Let's see...in the truck a tire knocker (wood with lead in the middle used to determine if tires are flat), a retractable ASP (I'm certified), a pair of hinge cuffs, and a baby Glock. In the 5er, a 38 detective special, and my duty Glock and another baby Glock. In my pocket, a Spyderco Police model. But, I'm very careful (and legal in all 50 states including the District of Columbia, to carry).

As others have mentioned: "Been there, got the t-shirt", and won't put my family in danger, but willing to get them out. Twice, already, since on the road. Mainly, 'though, because I, too, won't permit another person to beat on a weaker one. Just in my makeup. Oh well.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 03:35 PM   #31
Montana_5706

M.O.C. #5706
I always carry my service weapon with me, if I'm camping or just traveling around town. As a Police Officer, under the new laws under the terrorist act, LE Officers can carry their weapons anywhere in the United States.
Montana_5706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:28 AM   #32
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Wow, thought the answers would have been just the opposite and I was to be in the minority as a armed camper. Turns out that it looks like I'm not as armed as most This was a good eye opened on links to what states have reciprocity and that I am correct in the desire to protect our safety while enjoying seeing what the country has to offer!
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 12:06 PM   #33
Montana_6480
Established Member

M.O.C. #6480
A lot of interesting points have been made by many in this issue. As a retired Federal Agt. and ex-police sgt., and after 32 years, I can say that I have seen a lot of things regarding weaponery and self--defense issues. I would like to put in my two-cents worth by saying to all non-law enforcement individuals to be sure they know they have the right to carry concealled, especially out of their state and/or county. Remember a weapon carries a lot of responsibilities and if you pull it out to scare someone, you don't have any business carrying it. A weapon is drawn with the intent to use it in a deadly fashion, not to scare or to wound someone. Every cop knows that and are trained that way. Also, a lot of RV Parks, if not all of them have rules stating, "No Firearms Allowed". What happens if someone goes in your RV while you're not there and find this weapon(s) and god-forbid someone gets hurt in the park. (Who's responsible?) As for police officers of all departments (working or retired) bill HR 241 was submitted and passed as law, so there are more TRAINED personnel on the streets to interveen in incidents such as child abuse etc. Remember these guys are TRAINED and know what to do and that is why they are allowed to carry concealled. I for one, before I interfere with a family dispute, I will call 911 and report it before I step in. Why endanger my family and anyone else around if I am not willing to call the authorities first and follow up with prosecution afterwards if warranted. Again, this is my two-cents worth and after 32 years I have never had to shoot anyone nor was I shot. I have been shot at many times before, but they were a bad shots and missed. I am still here to enjoy my RV and retirement life. Gun packing is a serious issue and be educated before you jump into it.

Enough rambling! Giddyup!

jpp
Montana_6480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 02:48 PM   #34
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Concealed Weapons License.

Glock 19 with hollow points.

Make my day!

Enough said.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 04:09 PM   #35
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
maa - well said.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 04:25 PM   #36
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Gottasay -- this is the scariest thread I have ever read.

I grew up hunting rabbits, squirrels and deer. It never occured to me that it might be needed for "protection". In my world if you need a fire arm for protection then you ought to move to a safer place.

Met a guy at the airport who claims he sleeps with a locked and loaded 10 gauge riot gun beside the bed. (except for driving a Studebaker pickup, he seemed fairly normal) Makes one wonder who needs the lockup.

Just my two cents to try to introduce a bit of sanity here -- I hope.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 09:38 PM   #37
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Thank you all for all your contributions to this thread. It now seems to have run its course. We are getting many folks repeating things and it has been up long enough for everyone who is interested to get their thoughts posted. Lately we have been getting more and more "bumper sticker" type posts that don't really add much to the question originally addressed. So let's move on.

Please remember that the thoughts expressed on these Forums are posts from individuals that have more or less information on any given subject. Before taking any action based on what someone has posted one should go directly to the source for correct information. On a subject as potentially lethal as this one you should make absolutely certain you are following the law.

This thread will now be locked. I'm sure it will come up again down the road.

Thank you now lets get back to more fun parts of RVing.

RVWheels, MOC Admin.

PS. Please be advised that NO ONE individual posting is being criticized. There is no one person and or post to which this action applies. So please don't be offended.
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote