Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2005, 08:03 AM   #1
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
roadside assistance

We had a recent experience having our TV towed and are not to pleased with our reimbursement from our insurance co.

We had Good-Sam at one time and never used it.

In the market again for some type of roadside service plan. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 08:38 AM   #2
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
Try Good Sam's. We used it 2 times this year. All we had to do was to call them and they sent a wrecker service contracted to them. We just singed the ticket from the wrecker driver and went on on our way. Good Sam's called and checked to see if we were taken care of and done a survey on the wrecker service. To me it is cheap insurance to have. Our insurance co only pays up to $75.00 per call.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 08:43 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I'd go back to Good Sam. We've had ours for a couple years and although we never used it we have heard nothing but good reports from those who have.

Here's a link to another MOC thread dealing with this same subject.

Emergency Roadcare policies
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:30 AM   #4
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
Sorry to hear of your bad experience, however this is the way we learn and hopefully get the right information. This is why MOC is great. We have Good Sam Emergency Road Service. Anyway: This past June and July we went from Fla. to Oh, to Upper Mi, then west toward Glacier Park. On I-94 about and hour NW of Minn/StPaul we pulled into a rest area for potty break and I noticed in the rearview mirror that a tire on the left side of the 5th wheel (not the Montana) had a bubble on it. We called the Emergency Service for the tire change. The operator ask if we were in a safe place and if there were any other problems. She advised that she would call back in a few minutes and let us know about the service we requested. Approx 5 min later, she call back and told us who the wrecker company was and that they would be there in about 35 min. The wrecker service changed the tire and give us information on the Goodyear Tire Dealership at the next exit and how to get there. Then......

On the way back home going through Wy. I-90 (rest stop between Buffalo and Gillette) another pit stop and another tire totally come apart while we were parked there. Thank goodness these tires failed while we were stopped. Again the call to Good Sams ERS. They again ask if were were in a safe place and if there were any other problems. We had to call from a small station nearby as the cell phone would not work in that area. The lady from Good Sams called back a short time later and adv that Pert's Towing from Buffalo would be there in about an hour. Pax, the tow truck driver said that there was a Goodyear Dealer in Gillette. With the tire changed we were on the road again. Both times Good Sams ERS was helpful, caring, and courteous.

We would not be without Good Sams ERS. Hope this helps. Have a Good Day. Richard
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:02 AM   #5
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
We've had Good Sam ERS for about seven years, and even though I only had to use it once, I would not be without it. We lost a water pump on a Jeep Grand Cherokee 120 miles from home on a Sunday evening. The ERS operator's first questions regarded our location and safety issues. Within 5 minutes the tow company called back and arrived on the scene about 15 minutes later. Towed us to a repair facility and offered to drive us at no expense to the nearest available car rental agency about 30 miles away.

The coverage includes all three of our motor vehicles and the Montana for the same price, plus I have the satisfaction of knowing if my wife is on the road alone and encounters a vehicle problem the situation will be handled promptly by Good Sam ERS.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:26 AM   #6
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
Thanks for the info. Good Sams seems unanomous.We will go back to them. One unfortunate event and the membership will more than pay for itself. It was our good fortune not to be towing the Montana when the water pump went out. Driving an older vehicle you never know.

Thanks again
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 02:54 PM   #7
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Are there different policies for Good Sam? Strangely enough we just got an offer in the mail today from Good Sams for "emergency road service" and it was $79.95 for an entire year for all the vehicles in our household. Almost sounds too good to be true, we already pay more than that for both of our college aged daughters from AAA. Are you all paying a similar fee? This is normally $99.95 but it's $20 off for five days. Like I said almost sounds too good of a deal. Any thoughts?

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 02:57 PM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We pay the $99.95 so if you are getting $20 off - it is a good deal. There is just one policy. We were paying more for AAA also and is why we gave it up.
Happy trails................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:00 PM   #9
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
I signed up for the Good Sams ERS while at a Camping World. They gave me a $10 discount off of the $79, so I ended up paying $69 for ours.
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:08 PM   #10
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
As I recall the $79.00 rate was for the first year only, then $99.00 thereafter.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:13 PM   #11
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Have heard good reports about Good Sam. I use AAA RV Plus because of their free trip tickets, maps and tour books as well as Traveler checks. Have had to use them twice, once for a lock out and once for a flat.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:30 PM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I signed up for Coach-Net roadside service. I found them to offer better services with no out of pocket cost per occurance. Also not limited to just truck or coach, covers boat trailer and my other vehicle. I think cost was along the lines of $495 for seven years. I am just hoping that I never have to use it along the road somewhere. If for some reason Coach net does not cover something I also have the Onstar roadside service, GM roadside service along with my insurance company road side service. Between the 4 companies I hope there should be no problems getting help. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 12:27 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Agree with Searchers. Also, as in the Good Sam ERS ad you received, there is no deductible and it covers all your vehicles, towing or not. I wouldn't be without it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:14 PM   #14
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Good Sam is my choise.

TT2