Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2019, 08:25 PM   #1
jaybird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6300
Winterize Monty

Was successful winterizing my 2014 Monty last year in two feet of snow in Quincy, Wa. But I did nothing to my hot water tank cause I swore when we went thru my walk thru at Tacoma RV, he said it would be ok. Not going to risk it again. Need a good video to assure success this year. Anybody have one??

jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:38 PM   #2
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Just drain it, and blow out the fill line from the convenience center. Is about all you can do.

Mark
Old 09-17-2019, 10:38 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
If you were able to winterize without draining the water heater, you only have a couple extra things to do to winterize the water heater tank. You will need a socket wrench with a socket that will fit the anode. You will turn the lever in the convenience center that is labeled Water Heater Bypass to the Bypass position. You also must turn off the breaker that provides power to the electric element in the water heater, maybe also the little black switch at the water heater just as a second safety so you don't burn out the element when you get the rig ready next season. You will then use the socket wrench to remove the anode which will drain water from the water heater tank. You can leave the anode out until next season if you want. There is a check valve on the hot water outlet of the tank that prevents water from going back into the tank and the bypass valve turns off cold water from going into the tank, also. Then, you can continue doing your winterizing routine as you have done in the past.

Next season, you should have a roll of Teflon tape to wrap the threads of the old anode if it is still in good shape, or a new anode if it needs replacement. Before turning the bypass valve back to it's normal position, you should have rinsed all the pink stuff from your plumbing system. Be sure to have water coming out of the faucets on the hot water side before turning on the switches and breaker to the water heater, so you don't burn out the element.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote