Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2016, 11:24 AM   #1
TAG51
Established Member

M.O.C. #17978
F350 Trailer Brake Controller

I am getting "No Trailer Attached" on my dash after hooking up the 7 way cable. All the lights work but when testing to see if the brake controller will accept any input + or - , it just gives the error. I get the same result when plugged into the 7 way on the bumper and in the truck bed. I plan on visiting the dealer this week and hook up to multiple trailers to see if I get the same result. It is my understanding the truck bed connector is an extension from the bumper 7 way connector. I suspect the problem is either at the bumper or in the cable. At this point I have no confidence I actually have working brakes. Both are 2016 models. And of course the both dealers are pointing the finger at the other guy.

Ideas and Suggestions are welcome. Thanks, TAG51

TAG51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:25 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
My first guess is the brake circuit in the Montana is the problem. The Ford controller sees an open circuit and issues the message you are seeing. You don't say what Montana you have, but if it has the Level Up, the quick test is to lift a trailer tire off the ground, and try to spin it while someone else applies the brakes (or just pull the emergency brake switch on the pin).

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:44 AM   #3
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
If hooking to both the sidewall and bumper plugs gives the same message, you've probably got a truck wiring problem somewhere. I'd look underneath first.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:56 AM   #4
TAG51
Established Member

M.O.C. #17978
Problem Solved. Here's how I went about it.
1) Took truck to RV dealer and had them remove the truck bed connector from the bumper connection. This takes the truck back to factory configuration with only the bumper 7 way working.
2) Hooked up to several RVs and got the same result. So now the finger points at the truck.
3)Took the truck to Ford, still configured with only bumper 7 way, and they tested with diagnostic unit. Couldn't find a fault. Had them test each pin to make sure they were getting 12v except on brake pin which the voltage should vary. Still said all is ok with connector.
4)Brought Montana to Ford and demonstrated "No Trailer Attached". They agreed to swap out the 7 way on the bumper. Now the Trailer is recognized immediately on both the bumper and in the truck bed connections. I now have a pretty good working knowledge of the 7 way along the diagram of what pins do what if anyone is interested.
Alls well that ends well.
TAG51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:08 PM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Begs the guestion re ford diagnostics competency.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:26 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I had this problem with my truck when attached to the trailer and the problem was very intermittent. I finally went under the truck and unwrapped the tape on all connectors and recrimped all the connectors then rewrapped everything. The problem went away, for now. However, I live in Southern California where it hardly rains, and won't consider victory until I use my rig combination on a wet road. The intermittent problem occurred more often when it rained.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote