Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Brake Controller - Trailer Disconnected Alarm

I have a 2005 Ford F250 with the OEM Brake Controller. I have received the Trailer Disconnected alarm during my last trip. This occurs at times. If I press the brake lightly as in slowing down the alarm does not occur. If I press on the brake hard, as in a quick stop/slow down then the alarm occurs. There are no trailer brakes but then I can feel them start to grab again. I have cleaned the connectors. So can anyone give me added help and a direction for what I should do now?

Thanks

bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
I have had it happen a few times. I spray the connector with electric contact cleaner and then connect and disconnect a few times. That probably lasts 4-5,000 miles
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
The 7 pin on the truck is a good place to start. Behind the bumper connection is the usual suspect. Clean real good and apply dielectric grease. Make sure you have a good ground also.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
Hopefully your problem is as described in the other replies to your post. On mine - same issue as OEM brake controller showed disconnected when stopping hard - after extensive research discovered that the Dexter axles run the brake wire inside the axles. Mine had rubbed a bare spot on the wire on the rear axle which caused a short when stopping as the wire moved around in the axle. Ultimately, it shorted out the truck's OEM brake controller fuse, but for some time it was intermittent. Had to reroute the brake wires on the outside of the axle where I can inspect them. Dexter was good and paid for labor to correct the problem.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
bw2, I have a 2005 f 350 ,and all trailer fault, Trailer disconnect alarms have been caused by the right rear wheel brake actuator arm wearing into the wiring near the magnet. Check those wires, and also remove the wiring clips. Look closely for bare wires on each side of the clips. There may only be one strand of wire visible. So far,the wiring thru the axles hasn't given me any trouble (but they may be next). Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote