Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #21
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Also, try looking at Citicards.com - they have a variety of credit cards that offer ThankYou points.

We purchase everything including our monthly bills, like storage, with our MasterCard. Our points total nicely at the end of the year and we buy things from their website when we need something.

The products are fulfilled by Amazon and Buy.com so many times what we need can be purchased with our points as opposed to using real cash. One example was that we purchased the Garmin lifetime map update with our points.

We were recently sent a $15 Shell gas card just because we were using our CC at Winn-Dixie which is a grocery chain in Florida.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:51 PM   #22
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Living in Sticks and Bricks, we haven't been in a Bank in or used an ATM in over 13 years since relocating from TX to AL and retiring.
Autopay or online payments and cash gotten in conjunction with Wal-Mart, Grocery or Big Box store purchases as needed when not using Rebate Credit Card. Works the same when we travel.
The only downside is I never have enough cash to negotiate deals...
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:24 PM   #23
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
I thought I was covered, used on-line payments and banking since they were available. On a trip last year I needed Medallion signature validation and also some basic notary services. At home my community bank, whose service I was referring to, performed these free, of course.
On the road this becomes more problematic, also have to mail in checks, etc.
Switched to Bank of America. They do all the on-line stuff, you can deposit/withdraw, checks or cash in hundreds of kiosks, and brick and mortar banks country-wide, lots of places for notary etc services for members. Lots of plus's - works for me.
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #24
Rancher Will
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11227
We are not Fulltimers but are the road, usually out of our state, for up to three weeks at a time or even more.

When I need extra cash on the road it is easy to go into any Wal-Mart store and use my American Express Card to get up to a couple hundred dollars, with no fee. I have also visited an American Express counter at other banks, hotels, etc., and gotten cash from American Express also, but Wal-Marts are convenient.

When we are away from home,I know about the time when the payment for the credit cards are due. I just phone the American Express Co and/or VISA, using the phone number on the back of the card and notify them to draw on my bank account at home. (We use only AMEX and VISA cards). There is no fee for this method also. In over 60 years I have never paid any fees or interest on any Credit Card and this has worked fine all of these years.

Of course when I am home, before payment dates, I just mail a check when I receive the Credit Cards Statements.

For many years this arrangement has been used by me and it is acceptable to both our local bank and the Credit Card Companies. Since the payment date for our monthly Credit Card Statements is always the same date each month, I know when to make the phone call (usually a couple days before the payment date on the statment).
Rancher Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:06 PM   #25
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Previous posts are all good suggestions. As an option to buying and getting cash back you may want to look up if there are free ATMs in the area you will be staying. Winn Dixie in Florida was mentioned and they also have a free ATM with no purchase necessary (They also have great diet cream soda)LOL. Also check out CVS and Walgreens for free ATMs.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #26
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We want to thank everyone. We were on the road for three months early this year and did fine with Wally World and Winn Dixie. Plus we have a debit card with our checking which gets the direct deposit retirement check. Just about all our bills are either direct withdrawal or paperless and paid on-line. We're making two piles of items, stuff for use in our weekend/Good Sam outings and the other pile the items we need to take with us in the fall when we'll be living in the Monty till spring. So during the winter if anyone is near Fort Pierce, FL, we'll be on Site 41 in the Treasure Coast RV Resort, you're welcome to stop by. Who knows maybe you won't leave, like us.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:10 AM   #27
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
My only advice for online banking is try not to use public WIFI concections, it is a little risky to do that. I use a VErizon aircard and always establisha secure connection for banking.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #28
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Agreed Bob, Verizon USB modem and Cradle Point 900 Router, secured with a pass word. We just move everything (2 laptops and router) from the stick house to the Monty, except printer, bought one just for the Monty earlier this year. We dropped our landline several years ago and have been doing all our banking on-line since.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:42 AM   #29
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
We've been long timing for a little over 4 yrs now and here is what works for us. We pay as many bills online as possible. We only have 2 bills that we have to mail a check to with a coupon book. Some places are still living in the 20th century. For purchases, we use our Pay Pal debit cards. These are linked to our checking account so if we don't have money in our Pay Pal account it is automatically debited from our checking account. I also pay as many bills as I can with the PP card. Using their card, they pay us back 1% of the purchase. We earn at least $30 per month with their debit card.

We also have our Bank debit card we use to get cash and like has been said before, if you make a small purchase just about any store, gas station, Walmart, etc, will let you get cash back for no charge.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:15 AM   #30
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Ing-direct all banking is online. ATM's can be used all over the country at networked machines without paying a fee.

http://www.ingdirect.com/
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #31
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
We also used Wally World and others to get a little extra cash back from our debit card.

We have been in a number of stores that charg $1.00 to get cash back.

I heard on the news the other night some of the bigger banks are going to start charging a monthly fee for debit cards transactions, I think it was $3.00 and if like everything else it is sure to go up.
Allen
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote