Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2008, 01:55 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You are correct Dennis.We let Directtv do it the way they want to do it and the way it works. We are told that the "installation address"(zip code) is the determining factor as to what spot beam(local channel) area you are in. The billing address makes no difference to us as we pay online(paperless billing) and never get a snail mail bill.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #22
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
zI am ready to get Direct TV but I looked behind the Main TV in our 2955 AND as shocked at the amount of cable connection back there and the fact the AMP is in the bed room. How in the heck do you sort out the mess O' cables to plug in DTV and get both TV's to work. In my Class A it was easy as the dish was on the roof and was already wired for it. Yes I know there is a plug in the convience center for the dish but the big question I guess where do you put the box?
Oh sure remind me I was an Electronics Tech in a past life lol
Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:24 PM   #23
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I have Direct TV with a DVR and a standard receiver (for the bedroom) in a 2955. It is not too difficult. The short story - the receiver in the entertainment center uses the two RF connector panel (the one normally configured with a loop cable). The cable in from outside goes into the receiver and the receiver's "Out to TV" connection goes to the other connection. This feeds the main TV and, by default, the bedroom TV (assuming you want to watch the same program there).

As long as the bedroom amplifier is turned off, Direct TV will work fine.

There have been numerous discussions on this topic in the past. Beware Direct TV and Dish do things differently. A "search" should turn up lots of information (including a wiring diagram of the RG6 coax inside).

More complex installation options are possible.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:40 PM   #24
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Doug I will take a shot at this. If I am off someone jump in and correct me.
If the 09 2955RL is like my 08 2955RL on the left side of the electronics bay there is a wall plate with a loop of coax connecting two RF connectors. The bottom RF connector is the in from the outside bay for the satellite/cable. The top RF connector will lead to the main tv and the br tv via the splitter behind the main tv. So your receiver would go between those two RF connectors.

Now if you have a HD DTV receiver they will not have an RF out. So use a RF Modulator from the DTV receiver to that top RF connector mentioned above. The RF modulator is about $25 at Walmart, Home Depot, or Radio Shack. You would use S video or red,white,yellow cable from the DTV receiver to the RF modulator. JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:47 PM   #25
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
Thanks for the help on the mess in the entertainment center
While at Tampa we walking into the CW area and they had a KV roof mount automatic dome on sale for the same price as the Qube and 1/2 off installation SO bright guy I am I bought it. Now I hope I did not make a mistake but only time and Camping World will tell. Beside I got tickets to the Camping World 300 at Daytone for free LOL
Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:12 PM   #26
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Gotta love Satellite! I like telling the cable guys to pound sand because I have it. The only things that sucks with satellite is you need a receiver for each TV when you want to watch something different, but we get charge $5 per month per extra receiver so I guess that's not so bad, because I have an HD and two standards.

When we go out with the trailer I take the two recvrs with us, one to use in the Living Room and the other for the bedroom. I put a splitter at the outside feed so that each receiver can act independently. Since I am such a tightwad I also found the cheapest tripod I could find to use with my dual LNB dish.

The only real contraption that I had to do is create a weighted base from exterior 3/4" grade plywood since I got tired of picking up the dish on a windy day. But you might ask, why don't you anchor it down - because most of the grounds I have camped is like trying to pound into concrete! and the one time I was able to use a screw in anchor or stakes, it rained like you wouldn't believe saturating the ground so much that I could not use an anchor and with all the rain and wind the dish kept toppling over.

So here's a description of my tripod platform. I mentioned I have two same size square pieces of 3/4" plywood and installed 4 bolt/nuts/spacers at each of the four corners to keep the two pieces separate in case I want to insert a disc type weight between the two pieces for more stability. I then drilled three holes near the edges of the platform and used a combination of 4" carriage bolts and nuts and washer that I can use as levelers. I use one washer bolt to screw in or screw out each bolt to raise or lower. The three bolts allow me to level in any direction I want. When the platform is level I use another bolt/washer to tighten it down and eliminate any wobble.

I then cut three square like holes holes on the topmost piece to fit each of the square legs of the satellite and tripod. I oriented the north leg with the edge of the the platform. The other two legs would be off to each side and toward the back. However do NOT install the tripod yet. The reason I did this is so I can permanently affix a magnetic compass to orient the platform NORTH and also permanently affixed a bubble level to level the platform at the same time. Now the platform is level and North oriented and can drop the tripod/dish right onto the platform.

I drilled holes only on the topmost piece of plywood so that the tripod/dish gets nestled into the platform but sits on the lower piece of wood.

The last two things I did was installed a ring bolt in the top center so I can use a short bungee cord to tighten the tripod down to the platform for even MORE stability. Then I put a handle on the underside of the platform edge to make it easier to carry the contraption around (of course it's portable, it's got a handle).

With all the bolts and other hardware and the 3/4 plywood the thing weighs quite a bit. It came out crude but it works out great. I figure I'd keep it ugly looking so it gets mostly laughed at and may not get stolen. So with a $30.00 tripod, I got the satellite dish free when I moved from another house and about $30 in parts, I have spent less than anyone I know and got one of the most solid solutions I have ever seen. I haven't had to insert a disc weight yet and even those are cheap.

Tear down consists of unplugging the cable, unhooking the bungee cord, lifting and folding the tripod, then picking up the platform and away I go. Not too bad. The thing that takes the longest time is unscrewing the cable from the LNB - damn the fine threads that take forever to unscrew.

I still rely on this method because it was fun when I went to Yosemite with all these big rigs and Class As with their expensive fancy contraptions on top of their rigs and they were screwed because there were huge trees blocking EVERYBODY. I just ran my tripod about 75 feet away to a clearing, set up the dish and ran a long cable to my rig. Our neighbor thought that was a pretty clever contraption so I let him tap off my other LNB so he could get reception (he had a dish blocked by trees and the receiver). I have about 150 ft of cable so I let him borrow that. What a good neighbot I was.

I guess I should post a picture of this contraption for those of us who still don't want to shell out $1,000 for convenience. You are certainly free to copy the design. There must be something out there to do the same thing but it won't be cheap.... err... ummmm... as custom as mine.

Regards,
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:56 AM   #27
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Art,
Looking forward to those pictures! Sounds interesting.
John
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:13 AM   #28
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
We have direct tv and when we get to a location where we are going to be for awhile and want the local channels we called them and tell them we moved and they change the location so we can get the local channels. You can't tell them you are in a 5th wheel or they won't do it. For our short stays we just watch the other channels.
cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:27 PM   #29
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I just put a dish on the roof of the rv so now i push a button and it finds the 3 satiletts in 3 min as i am not a elotronics guy so i pd to have it done for me,, works great , i know gleen and x8vator has it ,phil and a few others ,,,sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote