Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2007, 06:05 AM   #1
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
rear axle allignment

Just got back from a long weekend of dry camping at Cave Run Ky. For the first time I noticed that the wheels are different distances apart on either side of my 3400. When I left home I loosened the scissors type wheel chock and removed it from the right side. When I went to reinstall it on the left side it was still way too wide to fit between the tires. I had to collapse it quite a bit to get it to fit. When I got back home and went to install it on the right side again I had to expand it about 2" just to get it to touch the tires. Has anyone else noticed this on their rigs? Are the axles adjustable?

rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:59 AM   #2
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Yep,

Pretty common problem, although 2" is more than most. Took ours to have an alignment done and to my surprise the trailer specific alignment machine actually bends the axles so the wheels are tracking properly, both caster and camber. This still leaves the spacing different from one side to the other, but the tires are tracking and wearing perfectly.

I don't believe the Factories pay enough attention to this. If yours is a new Rig., Keystone may pay for an alignment. Not knowing this I payed the bill myself.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:18 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I've got about 3/4" difference when I measured for Rotochocks.

There are pins that hold the axles true to the spring, so they shouldn't be moving around too much unless one of the pins broke. I wouldn't worry too much unless you start seeing tire wear, or of you look in the mirror and you're Monty is "dog-leggin" so much your hitting the guardrail with your tail-light.

If you are truly concerned, there are alignment shops (few and far between) that can handle the Monty. They can check for true angle on the axles, as well as caster/camber. Like Aztar says, the alignment is corrected by bending the axles for Caster/Camber. Our alignment guy laughed when I asked if he bends them, and he said "we are supposed to say hydraulically restress"

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:37 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I will have to remember that one, it sounds like a symptom of only having one bathroom, DW is in it, and the man of the Montana has to go reallllllllyyyyy bad!!!!!!!! Deary, please hurry, I am hydraulically restressed!!!!!! LOL

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:49 PM   #5
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
If you notice the wheels when you turn they shift to so the trailer can make the turn without sliding. I went to the rv tech because I thought some thing was worn out he said they are made to move so the unit can turn easier.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:54 PM   #6
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Just my opinion, but I think the wheels twist in a tight turn because of the side stress placed on them rather than being designed to do so. I measure the center to center distance at the axle hub on each side about every time I check air pressure. In over 9 years it's still even on both sides. I would suspect worn shackle bushings or an uneven distance between spring hangers side to side as another possible cause.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 04:54 AM   #7
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hookman,
I have to agree with Searchers. There's nothing about the Design that allows for lateral movement.
If you see this happening to your Rig, it's time to take a hard look at the components, ie, Shackles and Equilizers for wear.
I'm thinking that something got lost in translation with your Tech.

azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:46 PM   #8
Powerwagon
Established Member

M.O.C. #7084
I have a new 2007 Montana 3500RL and when I brought it home from the dealer and put in my wheel chocks(the type that fit from top to bottom between the tires and a lever in-between to put the tension on), the wheel chocks would only fit on one side. I too, measured between the axles on both sides and found a difference of 3/8". The dealer has no answer for me. I measured the axles on four other Montana's on the lot and 3 out of 4 were out as much or more than mine and the other was the same on both sides. Am in the process of trying to contact Keystone customer service to see if they have an answer.
Powerwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 04:02 PM   #9
Todger
Established Member

M.O.C. #6782
Talked to a fellow the other day that had a bolt break that allowed the axel to shift on the one side. He did not realize the problem until he ruined a tire. Had the bolt replaced and axels aligned. Has had no trouble since. Keystone paid the bill.
Todger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:11 PM   #10
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
If you have backed into a site or pulled in making a turn you will see a difference. Depending on how hard the turn was you could see as much as a 1 1/2 inches. The unit needs to be pulled forward on a smooth surface before measuring.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:59 AM   #11
Powerwagon
Established Member

M.O.C. #7084
I have checked under my trailer any loose bolts or broken welds and everything looks good. Did lug nut torque and air pressure and have measured the axles at home and on the road and it is the same 3/8" out from one side to the other. I know about the pull forward to alighn the tires and that did not change the distant out measurement. Keystone told the dealer that no one ever asked that question before, which I find hard to believe. If I didn't have the kind of wheel chocks that have, I would never have caught the difference in the axle measurement. I have since bought a pair of chocks like the roto-chocks type so I can have a good chock for both sides. MUDCHIEF, Where did you get a spec of 1 1/2" that the wheels could vary, that sounds a bit excessive to me?. I have the Mory-Ryde suspension, how does that affect the axle difference?
Old 04-29-2007, 06:14 AM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Not sure I would get to stressed about the side to side measurement. Obviously it is pretty common. Even Rotochok asked me to measure, as they say the spacing is never the same and can put you into a different size chock between sides. They work with all manufacturers.

Across an 8-ft axle, I don't think 3/8" would even be detectable as far as the degree of angle. Not even sure 1-1/2" would be. Clearly if 3 out of 4 were off, then 75% of us are running untrue axle angles yet I don't hear of a lot of big issues with it.

I guess "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it".
Old 04-29-2007, 08:33 AM   #13
Powerwagon
Established Member

M.O.C. #7084
My concern came because the trailer I traded in for the Montana had bad axles and I didn't notice it until the tires started wearing and the trailer was six months out of warranty. And I only stumbled onto the problem with my Montana because my chocks only fit on one side. And this time I wanted to take care of the problem right off. The dealer told me to pull the trailer and measure to see if it changed, so I went camping for 3 weeks and measurement didn't change. After making my appointment for service and recently joining MOC, did I find out it may not be a problem, so appointment was canceled and now getting to go camping again. Bought another pair of chocks that work on both sides and will still pursue talking with Keystone customer service to find out why the axles are not square and even on both sides. There may be a spec for the axles and that would answer the posts on this topic. I am a new MOC member and have enjoyed so far what I have learned about my new Montana.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2007, 09:02 AM   #14
raja402
Established Member

M.O.C. #4716
I HAVE MEASURED MINE, AXLE TO AXLE AND THEY ARE WITHIN A 1/16TH INCH. BUT MY TIRES ARE WEARING ON THE BACK SET, ON THE INSIDE, ALL THE WAY TO THE STEEL CORE. MY MONTY WEIGHS 14,400 DRY AND WHEN I LOOKED AT THE AXLE TAGS, THEY WERE 6000 LB RATED. ARE MY AXLES TOO LIGHT FOR THE LOAD. ITS A TWO AXLE TRAILER, MODEL 3575 (36.5 FT). ANY IDEAS? THANKS
raja402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:22 AM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Raja -

Did you come up with the 14,400 lbs dry weight by actually weighing the rig? If so, you are way overloaded. Assuming you have a 2003, your rig should only weigh around 10,800 lbs empty. Your gross vehicle weight rating is 14,040 lbs (trailer plus cargo). This is derived from the axles plus pin weight (6,000 lbs + 6,000 lbs + 2,040 lbs pin = 14,040 lbs GVWR). Keystone specs http://keystone-montana.com/?page=specs&year=2003

Unless you are truly overloaded as described above, it sounds more like your axles just need aligned. Pretty common requirement for the AlKo axles on your 2003. It sounds as if the rear axle needs camber reset.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:44 PM   #16
raja402
Established Member

M.O.C. #4716
THANKS BSMEATON,
ACTUALLY I WAS REMEMBERING THE GVWR RATHER THAN ACTUAL, REAL VEHICLE WEIGHT. MINE IS A 2004 AND THE UVW IS 10920 LBS.
I'M THINKING NOW I'M OK WITH THE AXLES AND JUST NEED TO GET IT IN TO AN ALIGNMENT FACILITY. SOME I'VE CALLED CAN'T GET A MONTANA IN SO AM SEARCHING. THANKS AGAIN.
raja402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:58 PM   #17
Powerwagon
Established Member

M.O.C. #7084
I called Keystone customer service today about the spec on the axles and got through on my first call. They told me that I would have to pull the trailer forward at least 40ft. to straighten the tires and then measure the distance between the axles and they should be within 1/8" difference between both sides. Will do that on my next camping trip, which should be this week or next week for sure.