Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #21
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
One thing I really like about my Husky (made by RBW) is that it does not have jaws, it has a sliding bar. When hitching, as the truck backs up, the pin releases the spring loaded bar, and when the bar slams closed, there is no doubt the Montana is locked to the hitch. Having said that, I too use a check list and have two white lines painted on my hitch that line up ONLY when locked closed.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:58 PM   #22
dscott
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6661
There sure is a lot of good advice on this subject,because I'am a newbie I will order mine tommorrow.Thanks-Again
dscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:47 PM   #23
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I bought a pullrite and am glad as it snaps in place and no problems as this montions , it was worth the little extra as we have only a 6' 6" box and it works great the pullrite moves back as i make a u turn on the highway when we get lost

sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:25 AM   #24
Robert G. Finkel

M.O.C. #7061
HATE TO ADMIT IT, BUT I'VE DROPPED MINE TOO. DID AT BIBLE CAMP SO I COULDN'T EVEN SWEAR ABOUT. I JACKED UP THE RAIL WITH A BOTTLE JACK AND BOUGHT RAIL COVERS - LOOKED FINE AFTER THAT. ALSO HAVE BROKEN OFF TWO ANTENAES.
GOTA GOOD TIP FOR CLEANING MY AWNING THO - MAKE A MIXTURE OF SOAPY WATER AND BLEACH - APPLY TO AWNING AND THEN ROLL IT UP FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS. MINE LOOKS LIKE NEW AGAIN.
Robert G. Finkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:32 AM   #25
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
The fact that your hitch snaps in or can be viewed well isn't always the issue. Maybe your chocks don't hold or you forget to chock. It's cheap insurance. You can be sure nobody planned to drop their fiver. But it happens.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:33 AM   #26
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
As a dummy who hasn't hauled a 5er yet, how do you get it back up once dropped? Do the landing legs have enough power to bring it up? BTW, my dealer called today, my Big Sky is in next week.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:50 AM   #27
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jim Jarvis

As a dummy who hasn't hauled a 5er yet, how do you get it back up once dropped? Do the landing legs have enough power to bring it up? BTW, my dealer called today, my Big Sky is in next week.
Depends on when it drops. Most of the time it'll be sitting on your (badly dented) top rails on your pickup box. You'd be able to extend the legs and raise it. A complete drop while you're underway would be a bit more of a problem. I'm not sure how you'd pick it up in that scenario.
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:48 AM   #28
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
I dropped ours once but it was while unhitching and not hitching. We got to a Campground late and somehow, while trying to get set up in the dark, I did not have the pin inserted on the right front trailer leg. It was quite a shock when the trailer fell while pulling away. We have a Pullrite and the pin fell on the hitch slide rail so it stopped short of hitting the truck top rail by an inch. I did have the left leg holdig up the one side. We had friends nearby and went and stayed there overnite. We came back the next morning and jacked up the trailer and got it straightened out in the daylight. We were very lucky not to have any damage. Since then I always try to get to the Campground when there is at least an hour or more of daylight left. If I had a long bed with a standard hitch I would probably have a bed saver but with a short bed with a toneau cover it seems it would take up too much space where you might haul your grocerys and stuff.
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:51 AM   #29
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I know a guy that dropped his last fall, and it took over a month for his truck and trailer to get fixed. He also had to replace his fridge. It's the cheapest insurance you can buy. I gave him a copy of the bedsaver manual, and he still hasn't bought one. I had mine installed at the dealer before I picked up my unit last year. I've always had my jaws sprayed painted orange and still check the jaws. I do about 3-4 walk arounds before I leave camp and a final one after I pull out of the pad. It might be overkill, but I rather be safe than sorry. So far, I haven't forgotten anything....and of course I have a checklist I follow to the letter. haven't had any issues and don't plan on it. knock on wood
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:36 PM   #30
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
I won't say "it won't happen to me" and will never say "you don't need one" but I feel my Reese Signature Series 18k would not accommodate on. As per their instructions I have to come in low and let the fiver ride up and into the hitch to get a positive lock. Now, that said, I feel once the safety pin is locked in there would have to be a complete failure of the hitch for the fiver to come loose. Not saying it can't happen, but I am very confident in my Reese.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:47 PM   #31
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I'm confident in my hitch also and I can't fit a Bedsaver on my truck because of the type of hitch I have. But the hitch head is similar to the hitch heads on semi tractors and does make a positive lock. Won't be like a lot of people and say, "It won't happen to me because I'm careful." The person who says that is just waiting for it to happen. I agree with those who say it is cheap insurance.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:23 PM   #32
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Agreed Orv, it never hurts to have that extra insurance if you can.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:00 PM   #33
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I picked up my "extra Insurance" policy today and it will be installed BEFORE I take the Monty off the dealers lot.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:31 PM   #34
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Man - this cheap insurance is getting pretty expensive! Bed Savers, slide savers, surge gaurds, slider awnings, my list is getting longer.

Guess it's cheaper, just to have insurance
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:44 AM   #35
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:13 AM   #36
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Things folks neglect to tell you... It is expensive to care for a feed a camper.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 03:44 AM   #37
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I agree with richfaa, Rv's are like a empty hole they are impossible to fill up. We went thru the same thing. Would pull into a camp ground and look around. Well you will see something and think must be good he has one. Then last year we kept buying things that we really didn't need. So we simplified we removed the things we weren't using. You wouldn't believe how much weight we were hauling around that we didn't use. A lot of things are just a want and not a need. But we have had the Blueox Bedsaver, and would have one now if we didn't have the Trailer Saver air ride hitch. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 04:23 AM   #38
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
One side of our 2 car garage is filled with " stuff" removed from the camper upon our return from our winter trip, about 1/3 of it will go back in. The "things" that we think are "must haves" the way we use our camper are.. the BAL wheel chocks, Autoformer, 50 amp surge protector, V-tail gate, Bed Saver, Pin Box tripod.There are some high dollar items in that list but we feel the expense is justified. There are of course many other items..IMO you can easily spend 3/4K on "camper stuff" that did not come with the camper but are needed. In our case the cost of a extended Warranty which we felt was a must have and the Mor-Ryde pin box and we already know that we will have the "wet Bolts" installed by Mor-Ryde at the rally. John (Ontmont) showed me his OEM stuff that was removed and that convinced me.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote