Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
mmrxboss
Established Member

M.O.C. #1425
Where to when you'Retire' ?

The wife and I are on the 4 year plan - 4 years and she willl retire and we 'Plan' to hit the road. Lots of planning and a whole lot of water will go under the bridge 'twen now and then.

Been reading the comments of folks already on the road but have not seen any comments about where you'al plan to 'retire' to when life on the road is no longer either an option or choice.

Currently live in Washington state but 'I' really do not want to return to this state for both weather and finance reasons. I would appreciate your views of where and why you would go when that time comes.

Thanks for your views!

mmrxboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Well, we retired in 2003 and moved to Florida, 4 hurricanes later we decided that was a bad idea so we sold out and moved to Texas, another stupid idea (heay I was born and raised in Texas). So we bought the Montana and now we move with the seasons and when we get tired of the neighbors. So far this has been the best choice.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #3
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Maybe after you "hit the road" you'll find a really neat place that is just right for you. Travel around for a few years, and see the country. It might help you decide.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hit the road and travel South, you will be like a kid in a candy store, the trip is the trip. We were always so excited to see new places, we found often scenery would change every 50 miles or so, (in the Desert S/W) we met so many super people, so many experiences. Travel, then decide.
Keep that dream.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
John and Kristi, Cathy and I have been on the road for three years. Everywhere we visit, we ask ourselves if we could live here or not. Some areas look good but we usually find something to gripe about so we are still looking. Although our family lives in CA it will NOT be there. We're thinking our lifestyle would include a park model (after travelling in a compact house, we find that we don't need a lot of room and a nice park model would probably work for us), in the south for wintering and our Montana in the north, during the summer. Maybe just drive a car between the both. We don't mind living in an active park where we have a lot to do. When we are two old to travel we will have to figure out a permanent place, I opt for Golden Gate National Cemetery since my brother is burried there.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
We just started fulltime traveling on 2/1. We domiciled in Texas right now (Stupid mistake) but will not settle down there ever. Where will we end up? Really do not know. BTW, our domicile will be changing to SD within a few months.
Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We want to settle where the weather is half way decent year around--not too cold in the winter. We have a leased lot in Lakewood, NM and presently plan to settle there when traveling is out of the question.

I don't quite understand the comments "stupid mistake" about domiciling in Texas. We're domiciled there right now and for our money it's the best. But that's for us, not everyone.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Somewhere near our kids and grandkids. Until last August the kids were all in the Kansas City area. So, we figured we'll settle close to that area. But last August our youngest moved his family to California. So now, who knows. You mentioned bridges. We'll cross that one when the time comes, I guess. Good question, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I think we'd be like some of the rest of you and sort of settle near where the kids were. Sounds like a good idea...... But like Steve and Vicki discovered the kids do not always stay in one place.

If we'd moved to where the kids were we would have a place in Phoenix, Ventura, Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, Bakersfield..... oh wait a minute....we live there..... But our latest move would have taken us to the San Jose area... For a little while. Don't know where the next move will be.... Oh and our other kid lives in LA. Not thanks! Actually the Hollywood area...

At least one of us has decided that following the kids would NOT be a good idea. Just too much moving going on. AND you know what.... the kids deserve to make their own lives without having mom and dad living next door second guessing everything they do or don't do. I messed up my own life now my kids can do the same thing!

To the OP.... I like the idea that someone proposed.... travel around for a few years and ask yourself the question... "Could I or would I want to live her?" If the answer is yes then you've got what you were looking for!

Whatever you do ----- ENJOY!

Travel safely,
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:20 AM   #10
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
We retired to the Montana and hopefully have many years to go before we can no longer spend our time on the road.

I think the TheCoachPotatoes have it right "Travel around for a few years, and see the country."
We have been to many great place to spend the summer but, most are way too clod in the winter.

Our current strategy is the same as Phil & Cathy "We're thinking our lifestyle would include a park model ... in the south for wintering and our Montana in the north, during the summer. Maybe just drive a car between the both."
Toward that end we are on a lot waiting list for the Escapee Park in Benson, Arizona. They say the wait will be 8 - 10 years' which for us is the right time frame.

Orv, Lakewood in winter!!! My "spring" visit was cold and windy.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:49 AM   #11
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
My idea is when I get to the point I can't travel anymore, then I will not need a house. If i can't travel I sure can't keep a house up. So some kind of Senior living, condo, or as some has stated maybe even a park model. I worried about that a lot, till I came to this conclusion. Thats my idea right now, but like all things with time, it changes regularly.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:41 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BirdingRVer

Orv, Lakewood in winter!!! My "spring" visit was cold and windy.
Grant, we've been there through the latter part of November (for Thanksgiving) through December and into early January. Yes some of the nights were chilly, one night down to 5° F. However the days warmed up into the 50's - 60's. The wind, though howling sometimes, was livable as long as the rig sits north to south so that the wind doesn't tear the door out of your hands.

One of the things we love about The Ranch, is the friendliness of the whole park. Yes, there are some who are not that friendly, but they don't seem to come out of their "castles" very often.

As of right now, we intend to remain in our Montana until....

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #13
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Interesting question. We've been on the road for over 10 years and have "tested" many places; i.e., would we want to live there. So far we've not found the ideal spot. We would like to be near our daughter and grandkids, but who knows where they are going to end up. For now we'll keep looking and "testing".
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #14
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Friend of mine, who is a MOC'er, has settled(for now) in a place called Victiria Palms(I think) in Donna Tx., and just as Orv- he and his wife were atracted to the park and the people(70's in the winter ain't bad either)location seemed to play a small role. If I remember they found this spot while traviling and visiting friends, so it was not planned.

Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #15
2golfers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4579
We have been traveling in the Montana for 4 years now. I have been working as a travel nurse some and the grandkids have chosen some of my assignments for a place they wanted to visit us. So when we decide to settle it will be somewhere where the kids and grandkids like to visit, after all they will still be young enough to travel. We still own a house in TX that our daughter lives in for now and that has been a good domicile for us.
2golfers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:08 AM   #16
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Everyone's needs and wants are different- We have been fulltiming for 10+ years and have been looking for Utopia for 5 years- Have been attracted to several locales, but still have places to go and see- Would like to be near family but not during winter- This dilema(sp) seems to affect most of us- The answer will come to all of us in due time- We have also found some areas are not financially appealing- Good luck and enjoy the quest- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:37 AM   #17
mmrxboss
Established Member

M.O.C. #1425
Sounds like one of those 'I really admire the problem, but do not have the answer' type of questions. Thanks to all that replied.

Part of my reason for asking is when we close up and pack up some 'things' simply are going to be very hard to dispose of. If I could get an idea of 'what to do/where to do it' then I could make arraignments for property or storage in preperation of the day.

Has anyone else encountered this issue and what have you done?
mmrxboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:17 PM   #18
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
When we went full time we stored many things in a storage garage in a storage place. We also sold and gave away a lot of stuff. Getting rid of stuff you have had for over 40 years of marriage and living in four different countries is difficult, but one must remember we are not defined by the stuff we have amassed but how we live our lives. When and if we finally find a place we like, I will have to drive to Phoenix and rent a trailer and clear out the storage shed. I picked Phoenix because I have a son living there, (right now), and he uses the shed also, plus Phoenix is kind of central to where we might settle. I would think we are all looking for the "perfect" spot, but that is a very broad term that means different things to different people. We can only hope we choose the right spot. Many things to look for, tax laws, medical care facilities are the two biggies for us. Weather being an important issue also. SOOOOOOO many things to consider. Good luck on your choices.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #19
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
I liked this thread. As someone who has moved around a lot both as a kid and an adult I found the people I was with and loved more important than geography. Know that sounds a bit simplistic and corny but to me it was and still is true. I have to confess though, sometimes I wish it could be in a warmer place.
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #20
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
We retired 2 and a half years ago. We have kept our house in upstate NY. Our basic plan is to keep that house until we see how this retirement thing works. Many people we know have moved to their favorite vacation spot and learned to hate it. Some have moved back home.

We go to the FLorida Keys for the winter. 3rd winter now. Travel the country in our Montana. Have taken a couple of out of country trips too.

We plan to travel around for the next year and a half and then get serious about what we really want to do from then on.

We really love our travels in our Montana!

Take your time. Don't wait too long. Many people never live their dreams. This is a dream come true for us.

Enjoy life while you can!

camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote