Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2009, 12:53 AM   #21
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Shortly after buying our 06 Silverado, I added three gauges: engine oil temp, turbo boost and exhaust gas temp. If I had it to do over, I would omit the boost gauge and put in a second water temp gauge. The reason is the GM water temp gauge is IMHO very conservative in it's readings. GM got a lot of complaints in 04 - 05 about overheating. In many cases it was for good reason, but in some cases, people were overreacting to the gauge. So I believe GM changed its settings to make it read lower than actual temps - to a point. I know that in my truck, when first started, oil temp lags behind water temp. When the truck gets warmed up, they read the same, but when pulling a steep grade, the oil temp will shoot up while the water temp stays the same or barely changes.

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:56 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Gage I linked to will read ALL the parameters the truck PC looks at regardless of brand.. I do not push this Gage there are others that do similar things. The only dash gage that is sort of accurate on the 08 Ford, is the boost gage The rest of hem are useless . Example.pulling a 9% grade in PA with the 3400 anchor attached the Trans temp on the dash was happy. The monitor gage said it was pushing 200 degrees I pulled over. My 08 Ford will run at @850/ 900 Degrees EGT with anchor attached at 62/65MPH on the average interstate....no big grades. However when Regen kicks in it will initially jump up to 13/1400 degrees. Over the time of the regen 15/20 mins it will slowly decrease and I can adjust accordingly. And.. we can always tell when it goes into regen as the EGT jumps up..

Folks will say...Oh I can pull fancy gap at 70MPH and I see them roar by me.. Well so can I.. but I don't like what my gage readings are telling me about what is going on in my motor so we are doing @ 55mph and the EGT is under 1150 Degrees.
As PSFORD 99 above we monitor Boost, EGT and trans temp all the time. We can monitor 8 parameters but those the the 3 that tell the tale. IMO

As my dad told me( we had trucks) "Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you" These guages are a tool to aid in doing that.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:13 AM   #23
Shooterdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8905
Rich is right, take care of your truck, especially when pulling the bigger grades. if you can only have one , then by all means get the Pyrometer, it is by far the most important gauge when climbing. Boost is what it is {you will know when you don't have any}. And if your going to spend that kind of money, then look at some of the digital multi function displays, they give you a number of different gauges as well as the ability to set parameters. With the technology being used , the old pillar gauges are not worth the difference in cost. Good luck ...Scott
Oh almost forgot, as Rich pointed out ,make sure they install the [probe} pre turbo not post, it provides the most accurate reading. Many installers don't like to install in front because it is often more A more difficult installation.
Shooterdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #24
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Dave I went with Edge with Attitude you can run it on a stock setting and the gages still show egt, trans temps, boost and much more.
http://www.xtremediesel.com/edgeprod...1000b-wam.aspx
Easy to installed my thermocouple has described here
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...&highlight=egt
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:24 AM   #25
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
exnavydiver you ca buy a power progammer that will have both gauages and add extra power as will.you might not need the extra power but the price for all would be less then the way you are thinking of going.banks,bullydog,edge, are three that have these products.see them on line.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #26
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
All the power programmers I have looked at require a EGT probe installation in order to read EGT. This in all cases is an add-on device and still requires someone doing the work of drilling and tapping and installing the probe. That is 300 to 550 bucks for labor I really don't want to spend. This includes the Edge, the Edge with attitude, and the Diablo Trinity. They may all read everything else in the vehicle but all I am interested in at the moment is the EGT and the Turbo Boost. So far it still looks like it is gonna cost me from 300 to 500 for the gauges and 300 to 550 for labor. The electronic units are between 450 and 700 before the Temperature Probe add on. The Temp probe add-ons cost between 89 and 200 bucks. OUCH!!
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #27
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I, too, would like to add an EGT gauge, however, how does one get around the warranty issue by adding aftermarket parts to an othewise warranted engine? I realize we're not talking power increases but we are still modifying the engine......As a retired flyboy, having flown turbocharged aircraft, I realize the importance of monitoring EGT and increasing mixture or decreasing power when it goes astray....Have any of you that have added the gauges, addressed this with a dealer????
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:16 PM   #28
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Phil, I seriously doubt this comes under the heading of "engine modifications" The EGT and Turbo boost gauges are only monitoring devices. I have no plans of adding any "Chipping or power enhancements"
I only want to monitor what I already have so I can keep what I have from running for as long as possible... dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:42 AM   #29
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
exnavydiver i have the edge product. it is the easyest thing to hookup.it is all plug and play.you can disconnect it for warranty and then reconnect after service. drilling and tapping for the egt is easy also because you are tapping into the exhaust manifold .with grease on the tap 99.9 % of chips stick to the tap the rest will blow out the tailpipe.i installed mine and was easy.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:09 AM   #30
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Dave, whoever quoted you that price is trying to rip you off big time! Drilling and tapping is not rocket science. It took me 10 minutes to remove the inner fender on our truck - it's held in with push-pin connectors and another 15 minutes to center punch, drill and tap the hole. If you don't have the tap, you can buy one for under $15. If you have never used a tap, you use it by turning it in a 1/2 or 3/4 turn and backing out a 1/4 to break the chip, then repeat until the hole is tapped. Just make sure to drill the right size hole - for example, a 1/8 pipe tap does not take a 1/8 drill! I did mine with the engine running so the exhaust blew the chips out of the hole as the tap was cutting the thread. If you (or anyone else) do it this way, make sure to wear safety goggles!
Old 12-06-2009, 04:57 AM   #31
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

Phil, I seriously doubt this comes under the heading of "engine modifications" The EGT and Turbo boost gauges are only monitoring devices. I have no plans of adding any "Chipping or power enhancements"
I only want to monitor what I already have so I can keep what I have from running for as long as possible... dave
Dave, I figured as much, but one never knows what the dealers would say in these economic times. As a fulltimer, I have to depend on dealers across the country for maintenance so I don't have one I could count on all the time. I would think an off road truck shop would be the cheapest. BTW: I wasn't trying to throw a monkey wrench in your idea, just want to make sure my investment is fully protected. If one is relying on an EGT to control engine temps and the gauge happens to be off, and damage occurs, what then??? I guess this would be the "worst case" scenario and very unlikely. Oh Well, another 10k miles and I will be out of warranty anyway.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:45 AM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Ford Warranty reads performance enhancing add ons. The gage is a monitor. Dave.. I had a speed shop install the gage that I linked to plus the EGT probe.. The entire bill was under 700.00.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #33
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
When I purchased my 2008 I was asked to sign a 1 page document stating that if ANY alterations were made to the engine or any of its components the warranty would be void.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #34
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by William H. Collier

When I purchased my 2008 I was asked to sign a 1 page document stating that if ANY alterations were made to the engine or any of its components the warranty would be void.
Bill
I would not sign anything like that. The dealer could use it for toilet paper.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:50 AM   #35
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
I didnt have to sign it, it was just a information sheet indicating the conditions of the warranty and that I have been told about them.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:31 AM   #36
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Here in Canada you do not sign a document of that type and it was not even mentioned on the purchases of our 2 new 09 F350s. I find some of these so called threatening warranty issues quite puzzling; is it the Dealer or the manufacture? The only document we signed was the fleet order for Ford to build the two trucks we spec'd in Sept of 08. Our fleet Manager coordinated everything up to the time we cut the check and jumped in a new truck that was properly PDI'd and ready to go to work. Warranty is warranty and if your honest and fair along with your Dealer there should never be any problems. That's like a Dealer emphasizing: you must use this type of oil, you must have it serviced by the Dealer and if you don't your warranty could be void??? Now if your a noted racer then you are in a different category and may get rejected on a particular warranty claim. Business is business, marketing is marketing and they have to get those trucks (autos)out to customers, the last thing a manufacturer wants to do is institute curtails on sales with a repeat customer. My opinion and experiences only in driving a lot of Fords since the early 70s; and yes I have seen where the Dealer footed the bill for a new engine and Ford would not, but that's where a good Dealer will go that extra mile to be on your side and keep a customer. Other situations I have seen where Ford replaced head gaskets on a 6 liter PS four different times before they told the owner it wouldn't be performed again because of a tuned engine. Like any transaction with purchases, it's your Dealer and how well you work together on issues when they come about. Maybe it one of those things where and as we get older we tend to take less risk and want that comfort zone. Good discussion when considering how large North America is!
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:47 PM   #37
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by William H. Collier

Bill
I can't print here what my reply would have been. Unless the document spelled out specifically what modifications they were talking about, you are basically signing away your warranty IMHO. For instance, adding a remote oil filtration system, or even adding chromed components could, under that document, void the warranty. Don't get me wrong, most dealers are OK, but some will look for any reason to deny the warranty because warranty work doesn't pay near as much as if you are paying for it yourself, and this document would only give them more excuses to do just that.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:10 AM   #38
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
The biggest reason that I added the Edge w/ Attitude was the ability to watch the EGT and the Boost. If you are pulling (while towing) up hill or into a wind with the pedal to the metal, you could exceed the EGT limit. I watch for 1350 (recommeded by the installer) and let up on the throttle. I also only drive 65, so don't push the limit anyway. Usually the allison shifts when the pull is too high, and that is when I can back out of the throttle. I also will block the O/D on the shifter to keep the trany in 4th gear, until near the top of the hill, and then return to normal operation. It would be easy to overtax the engine by not watching the EGT, but as has been mentioned before, the factory has the driver in mind. I would hope that they have the computer programmed to cut back the power upon reaching the EGT threshold. I also use the EDGE to program for better fuel mileage. Plenty costly upfront, but two years ago, when the fuel was over $5/gal, I actually felt that I could pay for the outlay through its use. Just my humble opinion.
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:17 AM   #39
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
i agree with stimpy123. i have the edge w/attitude.it has a backup camera which i mounted on the trailer has the power programer and the egt and boost moniter all i one unit .it is worth its weight in gold check online for edge products.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:03 PM   #40
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
EGT is important in the short term. Turbos don't melt but piston crowns do. The other thing, the biggest thing(!), is to never shut down until the EGT drops below 300F. I put a gadget in my truck which will not allow the truck to shut down until the EGT is < 300F. If the oil stops flowing over the turbo bearing it will 'coke' and eventually destroy the bearings.

Boost? I could live without it.

Transmission temp? Important, even in a non hot rodded truck. It's amazing how fast a slow uphill tow will overheat a transmission.

If I were going to do it again I'd get the guage that combines all three functions into one and has audible alarms whenever a user definable set point is exceeded. Well worth the money not to have your visibility impaired by a guage pod.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote